Your fave cookbook?

I asked Santa to get me a good low carb and/or diabetic cookbook for Christmas. What cookbook is YOUR go to for a healthy, delicious, well rounded menu?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Hands down, I think the Joy of Cooking is the best general, encyclopedic cookbook ever.

It doesn't menu plan, though.

In your situation, I would do a search of my library's database and pick up a bunch of the low carb and diabetic cookbooks that appealed to me, and then buy the ones I liked best.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The skinnytaste ones.

But honestly... nothing beats Google for me, because you can read reviews and advice and it can prevent you from wasting ingredients on a bad recipe.

Ya, I often find the feedback on allrecipes helpful. For example, for Chef John's Chili Chocolate Cookies many reviewers suggested decreasing the black pepper, so I did.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I get more of my recipes from the internet than books. That doesn't help with gift ideas.
    I find a lot of food ideas via Pinterest.
    If you want to do lower carb I think Kalyn's Kitchen blog or Skinnytaste have good recipes.
    https://kalynskitchen.com
    https://www.skinnytaste.com
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Gotta go with The Joy of Cooking for the best, but I've used the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook more than any other.
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    “Veganomicon” and “Schwarzbein Principle Vegetarian Cookbook” are my go-to books but mostly recipes off the interwebs.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Favorites ordered by frequency of use.
    1. How to Cook Everything, Mark Bittman
    2. Cookwise, Shirley O Corriher
    3. On Food and Cooking, Harold McGee
    4. The All New Joy of Cooking, Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker
    5. The Tortilla Book, Diana Kennedy
    6. The Bread Baker's Apprentice, Peter Reinhart
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited December 2017
    I have lots of cookbooks, including the classics - - The Joy of Cooking, Fanny Farmer and Mastering The Art of French Cooking, of course - - but since the advent of the Net, I hardly ever open them.

I just Google what I want to cook, scan the recipes that pop up and print out the one I like best.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i dont buy cookbooks. thats what my fave food bloggers and pinterest are for.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I have 2.
    1. One is a really old Betty Crocker cookbook that I picked up at an estate sale. It is full of good basic cooking information, substitutions, etc. But also full of all sorts of recipes and fancy techniques that I rarely see used anymore. It's both funny and informative.
    2. The other is a farmer's market cookbook I received as a gift. It has recipes divided by season and a rather lengthy forward for each section discussing the history of many ingredients (how they are grown, where they were introduced, historical medicinal uses, etc.).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm working my way through 1,000 Vegan Recipes. Currently in the grain main dishes section and finishing up a winter vegetable stew with barley. Next up is a barley pilaf with golden raisins (and then, on to polenta...).

I'd also recommend highly Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. And I make many desserts out of The Vegetarian Gourmet Cooks Low-Fat and Fast.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    I love my "skinny slow cooker" cookbook, it is great if you are like me and want dinner right when you get home from work but are tired and don't always feel like cooking. It is broken down into sections such as beef, pork, chicken, vegetarian, etc.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    My current favorite cookbook is Love Real Food by Kathryne Taylor. She has a food blog called Cookie & Kate (cookieandkate.com) which will give you an idea of her cooking style and her general approach which is whole-food based. It is Vegetarian-oriented but not in an obnoxious way - she even includes some alcoholic drink recipes. She has a lot of really interesting ideas, a lot of twists on conventional recipes. I think we have used more recipes out of this cookbook in the 6 months we have had it than in any other cookbook we have ever owned. Highly recommended!
  • CLN_Joyce
    CLN_Joyce Posts: 17 Member
    YOLO145 wrote: »
    “Veganomicon” and “Schwarzbein Principle Vegetarian Cookbook” are my go-to books but mostly recipes off the interwebs.

I doubt I can give up meat LOL But thanks for these recommendations! I have a freind who just became Vegan and these will make great gifts for her!
  • CLN_Joyce
    I have 2.
    1. One is a really old Betty Crocker cookbook that I picked up at an estate sale. It is full of good basic cooking information, substitutions, etc. But also full of all sorts of recipes and fancy techniques that I rarely see used anymore. It's both funny and informative.
    2. The other is a farmer's market cookbook I received as a gift. It has recipes divided by season and a rather lengthy forward for each section discussing the history of many ingredients (how they are grown, where they were introduced, historical medicinal uses, etc.).

I like the idea of a Farmers cookbook! I'd like to take advantage of joining one of the farm co-ops in my area to get fresh seasonal veggies, and perhaps start to see if I can grow some of my own? Thanks!
  • CLN_Joyce
    edited December 2017
    Some great suggestions! Thanks! I think I'll order a few of these recommendations to get me started and also use the web. When I find recipes on-line that we decide are "keepers" I'll print them and start compiling my own "go to" cookbook! B)o:)<3
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm an avid cook and have a large bookshelf filled with cookbooks I've collected over the years. I hardly crack them open anymore as I primarily use Pinterest and I can just pin recipes that I like and see them on my phone, laptop, or tablet.

We just moved and all of my cookbooks are in a box...I'm thinking about keeping it that way and/or just donating them...but some of them hold sentimental value. I'm just all about paperless these days.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I really really want The Food Lab for Christmas! I hope I reminded Santa enough... :D

I'm obsessed with seriouseats.com, I love the scientific approach to cooking techniques. I'd rather learn more about technique than just copying recipes. Like how to perfectly brine and cook a turkey or perfectly sear a steak.
  • Greybeard51
    Greybeard51 Posts: 34 Member
    Pinterest and Google. I previously had many cookbooks, but it is so much easier to do a search and find the recipe I want. I also find supercook.com handy when I want something different.. Just enter your on hand ingredient list and magically it will give you recipe options.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    I really really want The Food Lab for Christmas! I hope I reminded Santa enough... :D

I'm obsessed with seriouseats.com, I love the scientific approach to cooking techniques. I'd rather learn more about technique than just copying recipes. Like how to perfectly brine and cook a turkey or perfectly sear a steak.

The Food Lab is amazing. I gave it to my husband for Christmas last year -- it's so informative and entertaining.