Strictly Atkins Diet Do'ers

Options
Are there anyone on here that are doing or starting the Atkins diet? I would love to chat with you and discuss the meals, exercises, difficulties, and successes. This is definatly the diet to have buddies on. I am a beginner and have only been dieting for the last 2 weeks.

Replies

• renayeb
    renayeb Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are there anyone on here that are doing or starting the Atkins diet? I would love to chat with you and discuss the meals, exercises, difficulties, and successes. This is definatly the diet to have buddies on. I am a beginner and have only been dieting for the last 2 weeks.
  • Heather7
    Options
    I was on the Atkin's diet about 7 years ago, and lost 40 pounds within about 6 months. I used Ketone strips every other day to check for ketosis, and was very strict about it. It worked well to lose the weight quickly but... it got to be where I was lightheaded alot and didn't have any energy. I couldn't stay on it after that, and ended up gaining the weight back. I'm counting calories and working out now, and I know I'm not going to have the same quick weightloss, but I'm hoping to make it a lifestyle change, instead of a temporary solution. I wish you the best of luck with it, maybe it can be used as a jumping board and would be happy to discuss what I did back when I was on it. If you're going to do it, buy the book, read all of it, and make sure to take vitamins and minerals!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There is a woman here doing Atkins, but I haven't seen her in a couple days. Her username is elliot and then some numbers which I can't recall at the moment. I did a Ketogenic diet about a year ago for 9 months; it's very similar to Atkins except that it includes carb ups. It became difficult to maintain with the type of training I do. I feel pretty neutral about it.
  • bj2007
    bj2007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds on Atkins a couple years ago. I found it easy to stay on and my cholestrol went down. But I have gradually gained it back - I couldn't stay on it over time. And the minute you add carbs, the pounds seem to come back.

javascript:add_smiley('grumble','post_body')
  • Julie837
    Options
    Hi, there's a lot of controversy about that diet, so make sure you read up on the pros and cons if you're going on it long term. I too went on it 25 years ago, when it was all just meat, and I was miserable with constipation, among other things. His new diet is a lot more modified, and hopefully healthier, but from what I've heard, nobody stays on it for very long. Also, the lack of fruit means a lack of beta carotenes, fiber, and other anti oxidants that has more proof of doing you good. I'm sorry if I'm discouraging, it's just that if you're motivated I hope you get weight loss and good health.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_diet_carb.php

I would suggest reading this.. It explains a lot about how it works, and may not work in theory.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I did the Atkins thing, got sick.
    Sister did the Atkins, lost (and kept it off) 40lbs in 3months
  • renayeb
    Options
    Yeah, I went on this diet about 9-10 years ago and it worked fine for me to lose just a few pounds and keep it off because I was really active. Now, Atkins has a slightly different version so you dont end up with all the complications that the old formula had. This New atkins slowly add carbs to your diet every week until you dont lose anymore weight then you would just back up a 5 carbs to maintain you goal. That was the key factor when I decided to go back on the diet except now I have alot more weight to take off. The first 2 weeks are the same though and it was a killer staying on the wagon. :grumble: Thanks to all for you post and keep em cumn!! :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    I'm giving Atkins (the proper way) another go starting tomorrow. My hubby's already doing it and has lost 29 pounds in two weeks! :noway: He's in the Air Force and it was recommended to him by the Base nutritionist. Would love to keep tabs with ya!
  • renayeb
    Options
    SHUT UP! I'll have what he's having.:laugh:
    Thats awesome Loverlylady! Today went well for me. It's time to do my nightly treadmill workout. I would love to have a buddy that can understand what I'm going thru. If you dont mind I would like to add you to my friend's list.:drinker:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Thats awesome Loverlylady! Today went well for me. It's time to do my nightly treadmill workout. I would love to have a buddy that can understand what I'm going thru. If you dont mind I would like to add you to my friend's list.:drinker:

Yup, he has. I am so proud of him, too. Lord knows I've eaten some really unhealthy stuff around him while he's been on plan, but he's sticking to it like glue. He's my inspiration for giving it another go.

Walking on the treadmill is my exercise of choice, too. I find that doing it at night about an hour or two before bed helps me sleep much better.

I can't wait to get started. I've added you to my friends so we can keep up with each other.

Oh, I see on your profile that you have PCOS. I just got recently diagnosed with it. We seem to have a lot in common. This is gonna be fun!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Yup, he has. I am so proud of him, too. Lord knows I've eaten some really unhealthy stuff around him while he's been on plan, but he's sticking to it like glue. He's my inspiration for giving it another go.

Walking on the treadmill is my exercise of choice, too. I find that doing it at night about an hour or two before bed helps me sleep much better.

I can't wait to get started. I've added you to my friends so we can keep up with each other.

Hey Lady! I haven't seen you around in so long! Hope you're doing well. :flowerforyou:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options

Hey Lady! I haven't seen you around in so long! Hope you're doing well. :flowerforyou:

Awww..that's so sweet of you.:flowerforyou: I am doing well...just fat:laugh: You're looking GREAT!