Sugar

Options
Msaip
Msaip Posts: 482 Member
What do you do to keep your intake low? Do you cut out certain fruits/limit them? Ideally is an apple two servings of fruit? These sound like really stupid questions but It may be where im going wrong.....I know about the greek yogurt thing but it is so expensive!

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I just stick to natural sugars like fruits, and try to cut back on the processed (white) sugars. Natural sugars do not affect your body negatively (unless that's all you were eating), and fruit is so very very healthy. Don't cut those out. :flowerforyou:
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Just avoid the processed sugars ?

I try to stick to fruit and veg alot and my sugars come there, some yoghurts have alot of sugar in and also the obvious things like ice cream, cakes, chocolates and biscuits etc. I eat alot of natural food now - except yoghurts and maybe the odd lil bit of chocolate
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options

I try to stick to fruit and veg alot and my sugars come there, some yoghurts have alot of sugar in and also the obvious things like ice cream, cakes, chocolates and biscuits etc. I eat alot of natural food now - except yoghurts and maybe the odd lil bit of chocolate
  • Msaip
    Options

lol gotta love chocolate lol.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    What gets me is how you can be within your carb limits, but so far over on sugar. That gets me every day. I know it's from fruit, but I don't think it's bad to eat fruit. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I feel good about eating natural sugars...
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how your body reacts to sugar. Your body will spike more with processed sugars than natural sugars. I don't have much of a sweet tooth and processed carbs (super high in sugar) are the downfall to any weight loss attempt, so fruit and dairy are the primary sources of my sugar. So I try to stick to 1) choosing the lower sugar items (apples instead of oranges, berries instead of pineapple) and 2) always combining carb, fat, and protein every time I eat. Snack time - you're better off smearing some almond butter on that apple and eating a cple slices of turkey for a higher calorie intake than just eating the apple because it'll keep your blood sugar at a stable level making you less hungry for longer. Plus that even blood sugar will make it so that at your next meal it is easier to stay even.

Hope this helps!
  • buell1200
    Options
    Avoid all refined/processed sugars!

Only sugars should come from fruit. And still not too much fruit.

Or if you need something for taste, like raw cane sugar.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I eat no more than 2 fruits a day (but also no less than 1 fruit a day), and don't eat anything that has more than 5g of sugar in it (unless of course it's fruit).

Also... STEVIA.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i have basically cut out all artificial sweetener and refined sugar since sunday and i feel AMAZING. i have ZERO cravings. however, there are some fruits which have a low glycemic index and therefore the natural occuring fructose does not have the same effect as a different fruit with higher GI. apples, and berries are the BEST fruits that have low GI. there are others.... but pineapple, and banana are two that have higher GI due to lack of fiber....
  • nikkimwilson
    nikkimwilson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the tropical fruits, however... they are high on the glycemic index-which means they get into your blood stream quickly and cause a sugar spike that ultimately results in a sugar low. Pineapple, bananas, watermelons, etc are all high on the glycemic index. Apples, berries, and cantaloupe are low on the glycemic index.

I agree that carbohydrates and natural sugars of all types are an important part of a balanced diet, but sugar is a killer. I was doing boot camp classes 3 days a week, plus 2 days of zumba classes and the scale didn't move. I looked great b/c I was firmer, but was still 20 lbs overweight. I didn't start losing until I tried South Beach. My BF's doctor recommended it b/c he was working out like crazy and eating normal portions but couldn't move his weight. The dr. said that if he was exercising frequently, eating normal sized portions and not losing any weight, it was probably the result of too much sugar. I decided to support him even though I already ate 'healthily'.

What I figured out was that even though I was eating 'healthy' foods, the carbs/sugars were making up most of my diet! yogurt and granola for breakfast, steel-cut oatmeal OR a whole wheat bagel w/ cream cheese (all healthy but both sugars), apple for morning snack (naturals sugars), turkey sandwich (bread=sugars, cheese has lower sugars but still some), sunchips (lower fat, but still with sugars) and grapes (sugar) for lunch then a lean protein for dinner, but served with rice/potato/pasta and sometimes a starchy veg like corn plus a tossed salad with croutons (without checking for added sugars in the dressing)!! And if I had any tiny little dessert, that's more sugar! So even though that it was healthy and nuutritious foods without tons of sat fats, it's too many sugars. I've switched, ditched, subbed and pitched: switched egg white omelettes for breakfast, ditched the bread on the sandwich, subbed celery for chips, and pitched the chips and desserts. I thought it would be AWFUL but it hasn't been too bad and we are both FINALLY losing... and from the belly at that. I made a 2 week plan with stuff we already liked and emphasized what we COULD eat instead of what we couldn't. We snack on approved stuff ALOT and neither of us have felt hungry b/c we eat and snack when we are supposed to so our blood sugar doesn't get too low and make us feel yucky. I'm no nutritionist, just a girl in her late 30s with a metabolism that had come to a screeching halt. South Beach is HARD.. the 1st 2 weeks suck big time... but the results are so encouraging it makes it easier to stick with it.

If we were to do it over again however, I'd tell my sugar addict BF (who ate dessert every day, sometimes twice!) to actually start w/ Phase 2 for 2 weeks, THEN go back to Phase 1 for 2 weeks... he was really a sugar fiend and his 1st 2 days he felt sick like withdrawl which was hard on him. So it might have helped to wean off a little before going cold turkey.
  • Msaip
    Options
    It also depends on how your body reacts to sugar. Your body will spike more with processed sugars than natural sugars. I don't have much of a sweet tooth and processed carbs (super high in sugar) are the downfall to any weight loss attempt, so fruit and dairy are the primary sources of my sugar. So I try to stick to 1) choosing the lower sugar items (apples instead of oranges, berries instead of pineapple) and 2) always combining carb, fat, and protein every time I eat. Snack time - you're better off smearing some almond butter on that apple and eating a cple slices of turkey for a higher calorie intake than just eating the apple because it'll keep your blood sugar at a stable level making you less hungry for longer. Plus that even blood sugar will make it so that at your next meal it is easier to stay even.

Hope this helps!

Do you eat a whole apple of half? If half, how do you keep it from turning brown lol
  • Jefster
    Jefster Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Depending on what your goals are, Fructose sugars in Fruit and refined white sugar both have a large effect on blood sugar levels, which drive your insulin production. In that case, Sugar is Sugar. Your body will metabolize them a bit differently, where refined sugar is more intensive, but the net effect is the same on blood sugar level.

http://drbenkim.com/articles-bloodsugar.html
  • Jefster
    Jefster Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I remember my mom would squirt some lemon juice on the exposed half of the apple to prevent it from turning brown as a kid in our lunch bags.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The source is more important than the number. Fruit sugars have a wildly different effect on blood sugar than refined sugars. Stick with foods from Nature's Pantry, and you'll stay on the right track.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/06/life-of-carbohydrate.html
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately that's not entirely true. Fructose is fructose no matter the source, and your body processes it the same.