Learning to run.

Options
Hi all, I suppose running is something all of us did as kids, but I can’t remember the last time I was able to and admire anyone who can. Have any of you guys had to learn to run again and how did you get on?? I think I may need to shed some weight before I try.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start by working up to 45 min brisk walk. Then start c25k.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, C25K. and ask Santa for some decent running shoes
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    From another thread just now.

Make sure you can comfortably walk for 30 mins to an hour
    BUY GOOD SHOES FROM A RUNNING STORE. Have a gait analysis of some sort done or you risk injury.
    Download C25K and follow the program.
    Run slower than you think you should.

If they have them where you live, Park Run's are free 5K timed runs and are pretty social events. Happen weekly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    ldowdesw wrote: »
    Hi all, I suppose running is something all of us did as kids, but I can’t remember the last time I was able to and admire anyone who can. Have any of you guys had to learn to run again and how did you get on?? I think I may need to shed some weight before I try.

I never ran as a kid...at least in terms of long distance...it was more of a sprint from here to there.

I personally hate running...don't mind sprinting though. If you're not used to moving your body regularly, start with walking...I did nothing but walk when I started out here and built up to 60 minutes most days before I started a C25K program (which I hated but did anyway). After quite a bit of exercise experimentation, I ultimately fell in love with cycling...which I love, love, love...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Start slow.
    Make sure you can comfortably walk for 30 mins to an hour

DEFINITELY THIS!!!

BUY GOOD SHOES FROM A RUNNING STORE. Have a gait analysis of some sort done or you risk injury.
    Check reviews online.

Fleet feet is the gold standard. When it comes time for my biennial new shoe buy(I normally wear the same model for a year or two)... Not the same shoes... 300-500 miles per pair. I'll drive up to two hours to go to Fleet feet.

Download C25K and follow the program.
    Run slower than you think you should.

If they have them where you live, Park Run's are free 5K timed runs and are pretty social events. Happen weekly.

From the same other thread. @Tacklewasher is giving super solid advice.
  • StarryEyed0
    StarryEyed0 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've recently started running never done it before. I just sarted off with some brisk walking for 40 mins everyday for around 2 weeks then slowly started jogging in short burst and now I am able to run more than I walk in that 40 mins. Still not able to run without having to stop from being out of breath but getting there!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, C25k is awesome! If you are very out of shape you might even have to work your way up to that though. I tried to start it at the end of January and couldn't stand up the next day! I had to create my own plan to prepare myself for it. Once I could walk for an hour I gradually added 1 minute runs in with 5 minute walks in between until I was doing the same number of running intervals as the first week of C25k, then I reduced the walk breaks (again gradually) until I was actually where the programme started.
    To cut a very long (almost a year in fact!) story short, this morning I finished the Bridge to 10k programme (a follow on from C25k). I..... ran....for 60 minutes without stopping.
    Believe me, if I can do it anyone can. There are days when your brain tells you you can't do it, you just have to ignore it or tell it to stfu. Again as others have said, good shoes are vital, so is running REALLY slowly and respecting rest days. But for me, the mental aspect was the one I had to fight against the most.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    one little step at a time, and just add more and more each day
  • Burton_Bmc
    Burton_Bmc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did see the scale up to 99. something kg, and refused to see the three-digit number so I started to run and "diet'. Those days I didn’t have a clue and lost a lot of weight AND muscles, because I did hunger myself. Ran a few half marathons, a full marathon and daily like 10km and up. Lowest weight those days, 77kg, no muscle tone, no offence but I did look like a 6’3 skeleton.

Having a deskjob, and having to travel back and forward to India, of course I did gain weight again. Even did see the scale again up to 95kg. Lost all my gained stamina, and could start all-over again. 1 1/2 year ago, I decided it was enough, and became a member of a gym again. FYI, in my home country I did run outside, here in India it would be suicide. Also found out about this MFP app, and started to use it, log my food, and workout daily.

Now, I am down again at 77kg, this seems to be a magic number for me, but way more defined muscle. I guess because I eat much healthier, don’t hunger myself. To my surprise, not really, I look “better” and my stamina is better than the days I did hunger myself. Again, I do run daily 10km and up, did run my first half marathon outside and feel fitter than ever.
    If you start running, I suggest you start to jog, and walk, outside or on a treadmill. Be sure you don’t overdo it, because once you develop a pain, it will take down the fun to continue. There are a lot of programs which you can follow. So, I agree with the people above which did describe a few programs, and get some good running shoes, your feet and legs will appreciate it. Be careful, running can get addictive, and HAPPY RUNNING!!
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am in week 2 of C210K, so a very new runner, and I posted on here asking for advice and some people told me to walk until I could for an hour because of my weight (270 lbs). Well, I have small children, so walking for an hour is no problem for me, so I started to run. It feels amazing! Don't wait until you lose weight...give it a shot, listen to your body, if it hurts, stop! Start VERY slow....add mileage at a snail's pace and have fun!

Oh, and the shoes thing- definitely need good and proper running shoes.

Best of luck!!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Start with the basics... put one foot in front of the other. Do it a little faster if you feel good, a little slower if you feel winded/tired.

Rinse and repeat.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As a past marathoner, i learned to like running. I tell new runners to start small and work up to time or distance. If you walk for 30 minutes now break it up in 5 min segments. Walk 4 min at brisk pace Jog 1 min comfortable pace. Do that for 30 minutes every other day for a week. Rest days are good. Next week 3 min, Jog 2.
    You will eventually work up to running 30 min or your goal distance.

Go to a good running store for proper fitted shoes, makes a huge difference

maybe a small banana with scoop of peanut butter 1 hour to run, little energy
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Pahla B has some great beginner guided running on YouTube. I did this in the fall and noticed progress fairly quickly.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No-one was as inexperienced as me when I started. I took a ten week running class from the Running Room. They told me I was ready if I could run for one minute without stopping.

Before that, I was walking up to 5K. When that got boring I switched to running.