please Please PLEASE help - HRM vs Equipment reading ,etc

Options
irishgal44
irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
Ok...so this is day 3 of using my HRM while running on my treadmill and I really, really could use your help.

1. My treadmill, after a 3.2 mile run, read that I burned off 501 calories in 40 minutes of running between 5.2-6 (in intervals) and walking now and then at 4.2.
HOWEVER, my Polar F11 HRM says that I burned off 702 calories.

I understand that my treadmill, although programmed for my weight, is probably taking the average. Is this correct? So my HRM is probably more accurate and I've actually been burning off more calories than I have thought in the past.

Here is where I throw a huge loop in the calculations (I think??)...my HRM says my average running heartbeat (at 5.2) is 191 and when I'm at 6, I'm up to 199. WOW. This has been consistant the last 3 runs (and since I have used this). I am doing as the directions state- wetting down the strip on my HRM belt and wearing it right underneath my sports bra. I did wear it a little lower today because I have read that if you wear it right under your sports bra, it can be too tight and read a higher reading.

My treadmill reads my high rate at 179...however, I've never been able to trust the reading off of it because sometimes it reads that my heartrate is as low as 55 when I'm running...something is not right with it.

I've done tons of searches on MFP to answer my questions and cannot find anything this specific, so I'm hoping someone can help me here. Should I be concerned about the high heartrate? I'm 35, 179 lbs... been running for 3 years next month..so it's not like I've never run before. In fact, I ran for 15 min today without even thinking about stopping - I'm not over winded, etc.

If it would be helpful, I actually took a picture of where I'm wearing the band so you can see if it's too high/low...not sure if that would be hlpeful, but if it is, I will add it into this post.

Hopefully someone can help and hopefully this isn't a no-brainer thing. Just not sure what to think... treadmill cals vs HRM cals AND is my heartrate too high, etc.

THANKS SO MUCH!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'd trust the HRM over the read out on a treadmill every time. Exercise equipment is renowned for being inaccurate in reading heart rate and estimating calories. That being said, a HRM doesn't always know the whole picture either. For your age and running level, that is a high heart rate. That could be because of a number of reasons though. Did you have any caffeine prior to your runs? What about cold medications? Asthma medications? Allergy medications? Smoke? Stress-out? All of those can raise your heart rate above normal both at rest and during exercise. If you had any of those issues, then you can't trust the read out on your HRM for calories burned either because it will be over estimated, too. If you aren't having any of those things prior to your workouts with high heart rates, I'd call the Dr. to schedule a stress test just to make sure there isn't any reason why you shouldn't workout at that high of a heart rate.
  • irishgal44
    Options
    Those are great questions.

I am not on any sort of medication. I do not smoke or drink alcohol. However, I do drink 1 can of dt dew usually a couple hours before my run. It's my only sad addiction besides food.

I do watch 10 kids at my home during the daytime, which could probably raise the average person's heartrate over the roof; however, it doesn't stres me out and I'm a pretty calm person. LOL...

Maybe I should call my doctor...when I hear "stress test" I imagine a big bill and it stresses me out that alone is raising my heartrate!
  • irishgal44
    Options
    I should add...yesterday when I ran, it was 5:30 a.m. and I hadn't had any sort of caffeine in about 20 hours prior and I had the same results.

And I'm sitting right now and did a manual heartrate test and it matched what my hrm said...so I assume it is right and I should maybe be concerned then? Or are other people getting readings in the higher 190's? Being I'm over weight, I know my heart is going to work harder than if I were 30 lbs lighter...wouldn't this affect how high my reading is, or would it still not be that high?
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Did you subract your "just living" calories from your HRM reading? Or is the 702 the exact read-out from the HRM? HRMs track totaly calories burned, even those you would have burned if you hadn't been exercising.

If you go to the "my home" tab and then "goals" it will give you a number for how many calories you'll burn each day from normal activity. Divide that by 1,440 to figure out how many calories you burn per minute just living. If you multiple that number by the number of minutes in your workout, you'll know how many calories you would have burned during that time if you hadn't been working out. If you subtract that number from your HRM calorie burn, you'll find out how many of those calories you actually burned due to exercise.

Also, keep in mind that your "just living" calorie total changes as you lose weight, so you'll need to update the equation as you lose.
  • irishgal44
    Options
    Wow, thank you - It was the actual reading...so this is good. It will probably decrease my number and it will be more accurate. This is something I never knew! So I can subtract 52 calories off that 702 total. Thank you so much.

Now to solve the HR mystery...LOL.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    the HRM is most likely correct. The treadmill will almost never be correct. Your HR seems really high though - your max should be 185. I know you said you've been a runner for awhile, but did you take time off? Are you just starting back up? Has your Doc ever said anything about high blood pressure, high CRP numbers or anything else heart related? I would at least call your Doc ( or ask a nurse if you have access). Can you look at the whole run? did it peak at 199 but was lower for most of it? Also, I really wouldn't worry about your just living calories as noted above. If you are working out for about an hour, your talking about 60-100 calorie difference. Not HUGE, and certainly not worth the time to calculate every day IMO.....
  • irishgal44
    Options
    the HRM is most likely correct. The treadmill will almost never be correct. Your HR seems really high though - your max should be 185. I know you said you've been a runner for awhile, but did you take time off? Are you just starting back up? Has your Doc ever said anything about high blood pressure, high CRP numbers or anything else heart related? I would at least call your Doc ( or ask a nurse if you have access). Can you look at the whole run? did it peak at 199 but was lower for most of it? Also, I really wouldn't worry about your just living calories as noted above. If you are working out for about an hour, your talking about 60-100 calorie difference. Not HUGE, and certainly not worth the time to calculate every day IMO.....

My blood pressure is generally low 105/?? (can't remember the bottom number). Not sure about CRP numbers. I did call my dr's nurse and left a message for her to call me back. I'm interested to know her thoughts. It was maxed at 199, mostly 191-194 the whole time I would run. I took Sept-Dec off of running due to an injury and have been running about every day since the beginning of January.
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    Well, I've got a couple of years on you, but our weight loss goals look similar. For what it's worth, my trainer slows me down any time my heart rate hits 190.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    Be sure to think of your family history too. My very fit Grandpa dropped dead of a heart attack at 25 :noway: So I got my high HR checked out big time, but my Doc said he wouldn't have done all those tests if it weren't for my family history...turns out all my stress tests and ECGs are normal. Hopefully yours will turn out the same :flowerforyou:
  • irishgal44
    Options
    Well, my doctor is having me go in on Friday and says until then, no running over 180 bpm. Oof! So that means no running...because it's not possible for me to stay under that while running at any speed. Will have to let you all know what I find out.
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    YES! Please keep us posted. Hope it ends up just being 'your normal'.
  • lorettatat
    Options
    bump
  • irishgal44
    Options
    I see that this was bumped and that I never updated anyone on here (sorry!!)...I found out through testing I have something called IST - Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia. Google if you're curious, but I am still able to run/exercise but have had some restrictions and a lot of questions answered. <3 Hope you're all having a wonderful summer!