Ways to make Greek yogurt more appetizing?

Options
Greetings,

A recent session with my nutritionist informed me that I desperately need to be consuming more protein. Thus, Greek yogurt became a recommended daily dietary staple. The only problem? I abhor the taste of yogurt! The tang is just too much...I've been adding berries, chia seeds and vanilla protein powder to make a more palatable concoction, but would like some more suggestions to add variety and keep things interesting. I'm a pescatarian (no land animals; seafood and fish only), if that matters.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Also, I'm looking for friends, as my MFP journey has been a solo one so far. Add me :smile:

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Different brands have different sourness profiles. I suggest you try a high fat high protein yogurt first. You might change your mind. I like Balkan yogurt. I have heard good things about Chobani.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I like adding some fruit compote, vanilla, or honey to mine. But I love yogurt, so YMMV.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    My go to is protein powder, pb2, and lots of splenda. :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    As suggested above, just add fruit and/or honey.

BTW, there is a wide variation in the amount of protein found in yogurt. So, if you want the most be sure to check the nutritional facts on the container 1st.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Nut butter, passionfruit, vanilla, cacao... Not all together! I usually add a bit of stevia too, and a pinch of salt
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I eat Fage full fat with granola and cherries. And some Truvia to cut down the tartness.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    A few drops of vanilla and a packet of Stevia might take some of the bitterness out for you. I like yogurt made in a layered parfait with berries or other fruit, and cereal like Raisin Bran, Mini Wheats, or Kashi's Organic Berry Fruitful. I really don't care for plain yogurt, even though I have been making and eating my homemade yogurt since the 60's. I just always have to add something to it!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    My go to is protein powder, pb2, and lots of splenda. :)

I do this too, plus I add some fiber cereal to mine. Sometimes I have chocolate chips in it. You can also thin out your Greek yogurt concoction with milk if it's too thick once you mix in the powers.

Ultimately, though, there are other ways to get protein. No need to force yourself to eat Greek yogurt if you really don't like it.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Greetings,

A recent session with my nutritionist informed me that I desperately need to be consuming more protein. Thus, Greek yogurt became a recommended daily dietary staple. The only problem? I abhor the taste of yogurt! The tang is just too much...I've been adding berries, chia seeds and vanilla protein powder to make a more palatable concoction, but would like some more suggestions to add variety and keep things interesting. I'm a pescatarian (no land animals; seafood and fish only), if that matters.

Thank you for your suggestions!
    Also, I'm looking for friends, as my MFP journey has been a solo one so far. Add me :smile:

If this is the case, you're going about getting more protein in a way that will not be sustainable. Find a source you like. There are tons.
  • Ello_Guvna14
    Ello_Guvna14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist encouraged Fage, full fat yogurt for the balance of fat/protein. I love the PB2 idea! I will also look into good granola and cereals to add texture. Thank you all!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt every day and love it. But if I didn’t, I wouldn’t eat it. Protein bars and shakes? Lots of other options.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 powder and a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon and then mush it all together. Tastes great!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I cant eat straight yogurt either, the tartness makes my face pucker!

My adds in include, protein powder, Pb2. But the best bang for your buck are flavdrops from Myprotein, they have dozens of different flavours, and you only need around 10ish drops to flavour a 1kg tub of yogurt.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You could eat cottage cheese instead. Or any other protein food you actually enjoy.

I like adding things like frozen blueberries to my yogurt, nutmeg, granola, dried cranberries, or prunes to my yogurt.
  • mistypenningtongoin
    Options
    Fage with honey and berries.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    i love plain non fat greek yogurt. kirkland is my favorite & chobani #2, i love sour cream too tho. if I want "dessert" I add couple Tbl of cool whip & swiss miss lite coco powder or P butter powder
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I eat Greek yogurt every day and love it. But if I didn’t, I wouldn’t eat it. Protein bars and shakes? Lots of other options.

I do too, but not the plain/unflavored stuff. To me, that's like eating sour cream. I use plain Greek yogurt as a topping for baked potatoes or a base for a dip. For Greek yogurt I'm eating by itself, I eat the flavored ones - my favorites being Oikos Triple Zero in various fruit flavors.
  • TheKPipes
    TheKPipes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's another idea - plain greek yogurt is actually a really good substitute for sour cream if it's a dish with plenty of flavor.

Do you like nachos with sour cream/salsa? Try it with greek yogurt. Honestly you can't tell the difference with the amount of flavor going on. I'm to the point I can't make nachos at home if there isn't some greek yogurt to go with it. It's my goto snack - whole wheat nacho chips, a few healthy scoops of spicy salsa, greek yogurt and guac. Sprinkle a little cheese. You've covered so many nutrients with a ridiculous flavor punch :smile:

Other goto is perogies, fried with a bit of bacon and a healthy scoop of plain 0% greek yogurt instead of sour cream.