Hungry all the time!

Options
I just started strength training a couple weeks ago and I notice every time after I hit the gym I get really hungry and want to eat anything and everything in sight! Help!! I’ve gained a couple pounds since I started and I’m not sure if it’s due to muscle or if I’m just overeating....

Replies

• jaila_
    jaila_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey! I’m no expert, but I do know that it is normal to be super hungry after working out. When you burn calories your body feels hungry because it wants you to get those calories back. To prevent that just eat a small snack, such as a banana, before working out.
  • KCotey3354
    KCotey3354 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Eating before working out is good advice. Eating after is also essential. I usually try to eat a small balanced snack before and after, and wash it down with a lot of water.
  • Karrie078
    Karrie078 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have easy, healthy, protein rich food on hand after my work outs. I am often ravenous after a really good work out. :). Sometimes its a quick protein drink with some spinach. other times its a combo of nuts, a hard boiled egg and a small piece of cheese.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you log properly, you should know if you're overeating or not.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Your weight has likely increased from water retention due to new exercise...

If you're getting hungry after training, pre plan your meals so you know you have a decent meal to eat afterwards that fits in to your calorie goals. Perhaps try eating less on non training days so you can eat more on training days.