anyone have a recipe for fish sticks?

Options
I have some tilapia fillets in my freezer and was wondering how to turn them into fish sticks =p I dont have bread crumbs though...

Replies

• xenanoo
    Options
    I have some tilapia fillets in my freezer and was wondering how to turn them into fish sticks =p I dont have bread crumbs though...
  • MattySparky
    Options
    lol well you're gonna need something to coat the fish in if you want to make fish sticks.... one thing that works really well for coating meats is crushed up corn flakes. If you have these then crush up about a cup worth of flakes which will give you about 2/3 of a cup when it's crushed. Season with pepper and paprika and mix together really well. Beat one egg until it's consistant. Thaw out your filets and pat dry. Cut fillets in half or thirds if they're big (tilapia will do nicely in half), place pieces completely in egg and transfer to crumb mixture immediately and coat evenly with crumbs using light pressure. Place coated filets on a greased baking sheet (use pam or something like that) and then bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    you can also use pancake mix but it's a bit tricky.
  • xenanoo
    Options
    Thanks Matt =D I don't have corn flakes either xD ha! But i'm grocery shopping tomorrow, and i'll pick one of the two up. Thanks for your help!
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    You can also use crushed saltines or other crackers as a breading. But, if you've got bread, then you've got bread crumbs. They're very easy to make, not to mention fresher and better for you. All you do is put your bread on a baking sheet and put them in a 300 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes, turning slices halfway through. Then when cool, just simply crush bread into crumbs by putting the slices in a plastic zip top bag and crushing with a rolling pin or by breaking the bread into pieces and grinding them in a food processor.

To make Italian style crumbs, simply add some oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of salt. Or you can simply use Italian seasoning and a bit of salt.

And when you're ready, here's a great "recipe" fish sticks: Simply cut your fish into 3/4 inch strips. Dip them into a beaten egg or egg whites and roll them in the seasoned breadcrumbs. Then, place them on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 475 degrees for 7-10 minutes, depending on the size of the fish pieces, until golden brown. If you prefer to use plain bread crumbs, then season the fish before rolling in the breadcrumbs.

Easy peasy! :smile:
  • KMAC
    KMAC Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    GORDON DOES...HE HE
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Got almonds? I know you can bread with those if ground up fine...also jiffy cornbread mix works great and gives a slightly sweet taste.