Hi I am Terri and I am a Carb oHolic!

Options
This is it! I am taking charge. I need to lose this weight. My knees hurt, I feel like a spectator in life and I hate buying clothes now. I have tried Medifast and Jenny Craig. All diets work when you stick with it. I have to work on my willpower. That is it! No more Chocolate :(, cheese, alcohol, bread, or sugar. The hardest part for me is being patient waiting for results. I am beginning today. Hi, My name is Terri and am a Carb a holic!

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi Terri, I'm Joe and I'm also a carboholic.

My two cents... Going to the extreme of no chocolate, cheese, alcohol, bread or sugar seems to me a binge waiting to happen. That's what I've found when I try and completely eliminate things. My suggestion:

- No alcohol M-F but allow yourself a glass of wine Sat and Sun (or measured poison of choice)
    - Buy Hershey kisses (or something similar). I don't have a sweet tooth, but 1 of them after a meal gives me enough of a chocolate fix. They're individually wrapped and only about 22 cals or something.
    - Get some Kraft fat free shredded cheddar and mozzerella. It's low calorie and even though it melts weird (lol) it helps food seem a little more...normal.
    - Get some low calorie bread options. Whole grain english muffins, wheat bagel thins, Flat-Out pizza crusts (kind of a rectangular wrap-like thing).

Whenever I try to cut out things (which there's really no reason to do anyway) it works for a while, then I binge like it's my last meal. The best diet is the sustainable one...just make some healthy swaps and continue to enjoy life but with some added moderation.

Good luck!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just like food... Which is normal. Tasty food is tasty, and enjoyable! Having a drink can be relaxing or sociable.

You can enjoy all of those things as part of a healthy diet, stick to your deficit, and lose weight. My motto is "strict but not restricted" - for me, restricting too much leads to an unhealthy mindset and terrible relationship with food and eating.
  • alldayboogieny
    alldayboogieny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dope. You got this!! Be blessed this new year. Your goals are achievable and obtainable. Get to it so that you can create the best version of you possible.
  • Squamish19
    Squamish19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You got this Terri! (I love all those same foods!). Small steps forward.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give up any foods in order to lose weight. You only have to eat fewer calories than you burn. Those calories can come from any foods you want. "Giving up" foods and making yourself feel deprived is not sustainable in the long run, unless you want to spend the rest of your life not eating the things you're giving up.

You can eat smaller portions of the foods you like and make them fit into your calorie goals. (You can also eat nothing but dessert all day and you'd still lose weight if you were within your calorie goal, but you probably wouldn't feel very satisfied.)

One square of dark chocolate is 50-75 calories. One ounce of cheese is about 100 calories depending on your cheese. Bread varies a lot, but many prepackaged brands are about 60-70 calories a slice. Butter is about 100 calories per tablespoon. So you can make a grilled cheese sandwich, light on the butter, for under 300 calories. Pair that with a salad, low calorie dressing, and a square of dark chocolate and you have a nice lunch for under 500 calories.

I've lost 100 pounds and have been maintaining my goal weight since August. I eat chocolate and sugar daily, and cheese and bread weekly. I ate like that while I was losing, and I still eat like that in maintenance. I don't drink alcohol simply because I don't enjoy it. All of those foods can be part of a weight loss plan.
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink all those, still lose ☺
  • Venus_88
    Venus_88 Posts: 112 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    the profile is closed :|
    Guess we'll never know how did it go for Terri ...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Venus_88 wrote: »
    the profile is closed :|
    Guess we'll never know how did it go for Terri ...

Well that was short-lived