Where are my Ectomorphs at??

Hey guys! My name is Kate and am 117lbs and 5’6. I have the Ectomorph body type and just realized I may not be training and/or dieting for my body type. I want to gain muscle but don’t want to start in with a heavy bulk. Does anyone have advice on rep ranges, macros, diet, etc?? Thank you!!!

Replies

• Literally all i do is eat all day! 5 7. 165lbs
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited December 2017
    billkansas wrote: »
    Do heavy basic barbell exercises for 3-5 reps (maybe Starting Strength) and back off the cardio.

Being an "ectomorph" is a good thing as you age... you'll never be overweight. If you want muscles, you need to train heavy and for power and stick to basic, compound exercises (more bang for your buck).

That's funny. I was an ectomorph until I turned 22.

I'm up almost 100 lbs since then. my highest was 120 lbs over that weight.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Do heavy basic barbell exercises for 3-5 reps (maybe Starting Strength) and back off the cardio.

Being an "ectomorph" is a good thing as you age... you'll never be overweight. If you want muscles, you need to train heavy and for power and stick to basic, compound exercises (more bang for your buck).

That's funny. I was an ectomorph until I turned 22.

Me too. Isn't that weird?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Some people are naturally more muscular than others and it ain't just their diet and exercise. Some people naturally carry more or less fat.
    I agree with this part of your post. While somatotypes don't really exist in the way they are generally described, not everyone has the same bone structure/natural muscle mass.

Anyone can gain weight if they exeed their TDEE, which is what the OP is being advised to do in combination with an appropriate strength training routine.