High Blood Pressure and Weight Loss

Options
Just wondering if there are others out there with high blood pressure and has had trouble losing the weight? My doctor has put me on medication and I cant seem to get my heart rate up when exercising and I cant drop the weight.

Replies

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    u dont really need exercises to lose weight per say. u just need to eat at a calorie deficit consistently. did u set up mfp with a daily calorie allowance yet? did u buy a food scale? did u consistently weight n input EVERYTHING u eat?

u should still exercise for many other reasons coz once u lose@the weight n get off the meds then u wont have whatever problem u r having now. good luck!
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    weight loss has nothing to do with heart rate.. youre not losing weight cause you are eating more then you burn.

Are you logging your food?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sweetysmum wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are others out there with high blood pressure and has had trouble losing the weight? My doctor has put me on medication and I cant seem to get my heart rate up when exercising and I cant drop the weight.

eat less
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight, but you have to eat less.
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Try tracking your sodium intake for a few days. The daily value for sodium intake is only 2,300 mg, and it is really easy to blow past that number if you're not paying attention. If you notice that your sodium intake is high then that is most likely the reason for your high blood pressure. Once I started paying attention to sodium in my diet my blood pressure dropped to normal levels.

Pretty much every processed or prepared foods that you can buy will be high in sodium. Actually, a lot of pre-made and processed foods designed to help you lose weight are often among the highest in sodium levels.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My resting HR is 55-60 on my meds so don't bother measuring it during exercise, I just do walking/running and if I'm puffing, its up!
    By the way, I set my sodium level to 1500 and I think that, combined with exercise, has meant that the doctor reduced my meds :)
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My doctor has put me on medication and I cant seem to get my heart rate up when exercising and I cant drop the weight.

What kind of need did you doctor give you? How long have you been taking them? Beta Blockers and Calcium channel blockers may make exercise more difficult than vasodilators or diuretics.

Exercise is important to cardiovascular health not as important for weight loss. If it is harder to exercise talk to your doctor about changing your medication, there are many options available.

If you can strengthen you cardiovascular system combined with weight loss and perhaps something like the DASH diet you can always hope to get the meds in the future.

Good luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are on medication that blunts your HR response to exercise, that will only have a small effect on calories burned.

Example: you walked at 3.2 mph and a 6% elevation on a treadmill with a heart rate of 135 “pre medication”.
    After starting meds, at the same workload, your HR is now only 110. You are still burning 95% of the calories you did before—the calorie burn is based on *workload*, not heart rate.
  • jeffmp29
    jeffmp29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure has been high for quite a while. When should be taking medicine? I’m only about 15lbs over weight and I excersize 3-5 Days a week. I’m 35
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    jeffmp29 wrote: »
    My blood pressure has been high for quite a while. When should be taking medicine? I’m only about 15lbs over weight and I excersize 3-5 Days a week. I’m 35

Only your doctor can answer that. Go sooner rather than later; there's a reason they call it the silent killer! I'm 38 and on a low-dose medication. I'm 30 pounds from my goal weight and could stand to be more active, though.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Only your doctor can answer that. Go sooner rather than later; there's a reason they call it the silent killer!

This is a great answer; but I will ask, how high does you blood pressure run?

One of the biggest risks with high blood pressure, besides stroke, enlarged heart, thickening of arterial walls, etc.; is kidney damage which is progressive, irriversible, and causes more high blood pressure. I would get to you DR ASAP to see if you need medical treatment to get control of HBP immediately. Remember, just because you start a medical treatment does not mean you will be on medications forever.

• jeffmp29
    jeffmp29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yesterday it was 142/95
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yesterday it was 142/95

When I went in and got a reading in roughly that range (maybe higher on the diastolic) my doctor put me on medication immediately.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It didn't do anything for my gray hair.

*kitten*.

I'm giving up then if I can't get rid of the gray in my hair.

:)

(and same results here. BP is now ~115/70, RHR is ~ 50, hair is still frikken white.)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

I have the opposite problem. Low blood pressure and recommended increased salt intake. Which of course is adding water weight.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    My parents both have high blood pressure and lost weight by cutting back portions of high sodium foods only, no exercise. But, when they added low sodium food substitutes (snack foods mostly) into their diets they gained most of it back. They ended up eating beyond their caloric needs. Calories are king. They still take their meds and follow doctor's orders though.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My husband is not over weight but he has high blood pressure. His mom has it too, so I think it is genetic. Now me who was extremely overweight (now just overweight) my blood pressure and all of my bloodwork is perfect. So now I just finish losing weight so they stay that way.