Starting Back to Work Need Help

Options
I am a school teacher with two children. I really don't know how to fit everything into my day. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for keeping up with my exercising and simple, easy, healthy recipes that my whole family would like. I hate the fact of having to cook something seperate for my family and then fix something for myself. I am at work by 7:30 a.m. and usually don't get home until 5 or 5:30. Any suggestions would wonderful. :)

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Cook at the weekend and freeze family meals - you can calculate the calories and keep them to recipes, then you can adjust the serving size too. I do this all the time, love my weekend cooking sessions!
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm a teacher too and am also worried about some of the same things, primarily finding the time to do it all. I'm hoping someone can shed some insight too.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and momma too! I'll post more when I can or feel free to message me.... But I'd like to get a little more info and I can reply better!
    What time is your actual required work day? Are the kids in daycare? If so who does the pick-up and drop off? What grades do you teach? What time do you go to bed? What time do you get up? When do the kids go to bed and get up?
  • mom2TNT
    mom2TNT Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know it seems incredible to say, but I get up early to fit my exercise in. I take my kids to school and we have to leave the house by 7:15. So, I just have to get up super early and have my time. I also go to bed early. Knowing that teachers don't get much of a lunch break and that your free periods are spent in prep, walking during hours is not a real option.

I would make sure you concentrate on eatting in your cals. Fill a bag with all your food for the time and only eat from that bag. When it is gone, your done. Save dinner and a treat for home.

Good luck.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Why cook something different? Get your family on bored with eating healthy as well. With that busy schedule the only way to do what you want to do is to be prepared...that means planning out menus and being ready for the week. Sunday night do the prep work you can for your meals. I frequently cook 3lbs of chicken on Sunday, since its summer that means grilling it, I probably won't do it the same in the colder months, but then that is grilled chicken one night, chicken tacos one night, bbq chicken pizza on low cal flatbreads one night, chicken salads, and the list goes on with chicken. Unfortunately my husband does a lot of the cooking so I do not have many recipes, but being prepared helps, that way you dont get home at 530 with nothing prepared to make for dinner and end up ordering pizza etc. Use your crockpot, several meats such as turkey breasts and pork roasts can cook in there and then you just need to whip up a healthy side when you get home. Go to hungrygirl.com she has some great low cal recipes. Good luck to yo!
  • margieward82
    Options
    Cook at the weekend and freeze family meals - you can calculate the calories and keep them to recipes, then you can adjust the serving size too. I do this all the time, love my weekend cooking sessions!

I do this too! A huge time saver and healthier alternative to premade frozen meals.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    Here are some of my favorite low cal "freezable" recipes. I ususally grocery shop every other Friday and cook on Saturday during nap time. I make 2 casseroles for each item then I have 8 meals ready to freeze for the next 2 weeks.

Vegetable Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze
    Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay for Food Network Magazine
    Ingredients
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 small zucchini, finely diced
    1 red bell pepper, finely diced
    1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
    5 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste with coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (90 percent lean)
    1 cup panko (coarse Japanese breadcrumbs)
    1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
    3/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the zucchini, bell
    peppers, garlic paste and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the
    vegetables are almost soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
    Whisk the egg and fresh herbs in a large bowl. Add the turkey, panko, grated cheese, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2
    tablespoons balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetables; mix until just combined.
    Gently press the mixture into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup
    balsamic vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a small bowl; brush the mixture over the entire
    loaf. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
    Per serving: Calories 270; Fat 14 g (Sat. 4.2 g; Mono. 6.3 g; Poly. 3.1 g); Cholesterol 104 mg; Sodium
    451 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 20 g

Pulled Pork
    From Food Network Kitchens
    Notes
    This tender and juicy pulled pork starts with a surprising choice: pork tenderloin.
    By simmering large pieces of pork tenderloin in a tangy sauce and then shredding it with two forks the
    result is tender pork tossed with lots of rich flavorful sauce. The final touch is a crunchy broccoli slaw with
    a mustardy dressing.
    Ingredients
    3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1/3 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons molasses
    1 pork tenderloin, about 1 pound, cut into 4 pieces
    1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
    3 cups (6 ounces) broccoli slaw
    6 whole wheat hamburger rolls, split
    In a large Dutch oven heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and season
    with salt and pepper. Cook until softened and lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin,
    cinnamon, and cayenne and cook until toasted, 1 minute more. Stir in the broth, ketchup, 1/3 cup vinegar,
    and molasses. Bring to a simmer and add the pork. Simmer, covered, until the pork is just cooked
    through and tender, about 20 minutes
    Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil with the remaining 1 tablespoon of
    vinegar and the mustard. Add the broccoli slaw and toss well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and
    set aside.
    Remove the pork to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes. Increase the heat on the remaining sauce
    in the pot to medium-high and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
    Shred the pork with two forks into large chunks and add back into the thickened sauce. Toss well to coat.
    Let stand 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, to let the pork absorb the sauce. Serve on a bun with the slaw
    on the sandwich or on the side.
    Nutritional analysis per serving (without broccoli slaw)
    Calories 289; Total Fat 8g (Sat Fat 1.6g, Mono Fat 2.3g, Poly Fat 3g) ; Protein 21g; Carb 36g; Fiber 4g;
    Cholesterol 49mg; Sodium 570mg

Turkey and Spinach Lasagna
    Directions
    1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    3T dried Basil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 (16-ounce) container 1 percent low-fat cottage cheese
    1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    8 ounces Jimmy Dean pre-cooked turkey sausage
    9 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles, 5 1/2-ounces, (recommended: Barilla)
    1 1/2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, 6 ounces
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small pot bring the tomatoes, wine, 1 ½ T Basil Leaves, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste, to a simmer; cook until slightly thickened, 10 minutes; set aside.
    2. Meanwhile, mix the cottage cheese in the bowl of a food processor until smooth. add the ricotta, spinach, 1 ½ T basil, nutmeg, and salt and pepper and pulse until just combined; set aside.
    3. Assemble the lasagna: Mist a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, half the ricotta mixture, half the sausage and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers with sauce, noodles, remaining ricotta and sausage and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the noodles are tender and the sauce is bubbling around the edges of the pan, 1 hour.
    5. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and continue to bake until melted, 10 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve.
    Nutritional analysis per serving
    Calories 350; Total Fat 12.5g (Sat Fat 5g, Mono Fat 3g, Poly Fat 1.5g); Protein 29g; Carb 30g; Fiber 4g; Cholesterol 36mg; Sodium 848mg

Crisp Crab Cakes
    Recipe courtesy Ellie Krieger for of Food Network Magazine
    Ingredients
    1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    2 tablespoons nonfat milk
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
    1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
    Dash of hot sauce
    1 pound lump crab or crab claw meat, picked over
    Olive-oil cooking spray
    Directions
    Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallions and bell
    pepper and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
    Mix 1/2 cup panko, the egg and milk in a small bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the Worcestershire sauce,
    mustard, lemon juice, Old Bay and hot sauce; fold in the crabmeat, panko mixture, scallionbell pepper
    mixture, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Shape into 8 patties and refrigerate 30 minutes.
    Coat the crab cakes with the remaining 1/2 cup panko. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the
    skillet over medium-high heat. Mist the crab cakes with cooking spray and cook, sprayed-side down, 3 to
    4 minutes. Spray the tops, flip and cook 3 to 4 more minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
    Per serving (2 crab cakes): Calories 220; Fat 9 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 155 mg; Sodium 630 mg;
    Carbohydrate 8 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 26 g
  • aliciastar
    Options
    My oldest child will be going with me to work. She will be going to the same school as me. My husband is wonderful and takes my youngest to his mother in the morning to be watched then I pick her up in the evening after I get off. My workday starts at 7:30 and is supposed to end at 3:45 if there is no meetings. I teach special needs children. So at any point in the day I will work with students in grades 1 - 5. I I usually stay up until 10 or 11 and try to get up by 5 in the morning so I can get ready for work and get my family up and running.
  • margieward82
    Options
    Personally, I have to drop my daughter at daycare at 6:45, so we are out the door by 6:30. I am not a morning person and don't have much strength that early (for lifting) so the 5 am workouts don't work for me :(
    What does work, is to leave work as quickly as possible, my contract day ends at 3:15 so I am gone by 3:30. Then I go straight to the gym and the baby stays at daycare. I leave the gym by 5:15, we get home by 5:45. She has milk, story time, bath and bed. I know most kids aren't in bed that early, but none the less, when The kids do go to bed that's when I sit at the table and grade, make lesson plans, call parents, etc. All that stuff that I used to stay late at work to wrap up, now gets brought home and done at night during my down-time. This little readjustment has given me so much more time!
    Would that work or help you?
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Wii sports, not as good of a work out as some of the others (like Active 2) but maybe your kids could play them with you. It is moving, fun, and even little kids can play!
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There is a book I bought a while back called cook once, eat healthy all week that is really good for this type of thing. She has a number of weekly menu's and has the instructions set up so that on the weekend you can cook them all at the same time, then you just reheat all week. The instructions are all integrated so the timing is right ie she'll say 1)chop the carrots for "***" 2) boil the water for "%%%" 3) add the seasoning for "***" etc etc flipping back and forth between recipies so you can save big time on cooking and prep time.

Also - for exercise maybe try to incorporate it into playtime with your kids. A half an hour of playing tag or soccer with the kids is a decent burn! You still need some strength training somewhere but at least you'll know you've had some exercise on those busy days.
  • margieward82
    Options
    My oldest child will be going with me to work. She will be going to the same school as me. My husband is wonderful and takes my youngest to his mother in the morning to be watched then I pick her up in the evening after I get off. My workday starts at 7:30 and is supposed to end at 3:45 if there is no meetings. I teach special needs children. So at any point in the day I will work with students in grades 1 - 5. I I usually stay up until 10 or 11 and try to get up by 5 in the morning so I can get ready for work and get my family up and running.

First, bless you for taking care of our special needs kids!
    Next, if you can, maybe fit 20-30 minutes of Wii, a walk/jog, video, etc, type workout in the morning to get the body moving and metabolism amped up for the day. I got back time in the morning by planning it out and getting it ready in the evening instead. Maybe the kids could even help??
    Then like I mentioned, I would make a point to leave by 4 pm everyday (when you dont have meetings) and take home hte other stuff. I know that other teachers will argue "dont take work home!" but the time has to come from somewhere. Since your older child will be with you, I assume and hope your gym has kids club?

As for food, plan plan plan!! Pack 3 snacks and a lunch that fit your meal plan. I have 2 snacks and lunch during the day, but take a small 3rd snack just in case I am extra hungry.
    Are we on the right track? :)
  • aliciastar
    Options
    thank you all sound like great ideas. I am going to try it this weekend since I start back the 18th. Thanks alot everyone. :)
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Do you have playground duty? If so, take advantage of that time by walking around the playground isnstead of standing there watching the kids. You will learn quickly taht you will be able to see and hear the kids better anyway! Plus, you will be getting some exercise in!

Plan, plan plan! WRite out your meals for the week...and make it for your family! They wont know that you are cooking healthy! lol Just make chicken one night, salmon another night, grilled fish, fajitas.....etc.! We use the george Foreman grill alot. Love it! Plus, it is alot easier to clean!

Have HEALTHy snacks available for everyone....fruits, cut up veggies, etc. Also, stay away from those shcool lunches! They always pack the pounds on me! Learned to take my lunch, or drive to McDonalds and get a salad if you forget your lunch.

If you buy fattening food for the family, and it is in your house....you are going to give in and eat it! Dont buy it! lol I cant take it if it is in front of my face. lol

Take 20 minutes a night and play outside with the kids....or do that Richard Simmons Video you have ....and let the kids dance with you! Get a timer....and let the kids time you running around the house...and then let them have a turn! lol

So many people have posted wonderful ideas and recipes! Thank you all for sharing! : ) I LOVE LOVE LOVE This site!: )