Mental Illness & Weight Loss-Looking for friends

Options
Hey everyone I am looking for mfp friends that also have mental illness, and/or on meds, since I feel like our weight struggles tend to be particularly unique it would be great to have some friends that understand what it's like.

Feel free to message me too :)

Replies

• krissyabbott
    krissyabbott Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have depression and I take meds for it. They give me anxiety, but it helps me fight the fatigue/apathy that the depression causes. Even easy things feel hard. You’re not alone!
  • LilFoxtrot
    LilFoxtrot Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have depression and I take meds for it. They give me anxiety, but it helps me fight the fatigue/apathy that the depression causes. Even easy things feel hard. You’re not alone!

The fatigue is definitely really hard for me, I am ALWAYS tired :s ugghh
  • reo7875
    reo7875 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey feel free to add me! I struggle a lot with anxiety and definitely agree with you that mental illness brings with it particular struggles when it comes to weight loss.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I struggle w anxiety/depression too but giving it my all in my workouts has helped me tremendously. At first is was hard to lose the weight on antidepressants but I was able to get off but if I can't work out I definitely feel my anxiety creeping in again.
  • dfein001
    dfein001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    I struggle w anxiety/depression too but giving it my all in my workouts has helped me tremendously. At first is was hard to lose the weight on antidepressants but I was able to get off but if I can't work out I definitely feel my anxiety creeping in again.

My recent gym-going binge has certainly helped me with my issues as well.

Anyone can add me- juntos somos mas.
  • dfein001
    dfein001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    LilFoxtrot wrote: »

The fatigue is definitely really hard for me, I am ALWAYS tired :s ugghh

The fatigue is an entry barrier for working out. It is really hard to self motivate when your body-chemistry is telling you to lay in bed.
  • LilFoxtrot
    Options
    dfein001 wrote: »
    The fatigue is an entry barrier for working out. It is really hard to self motivate when your body-chemistry is telling you to lay in bed.

I want that printed on a tee shirt
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and depression here! Also on meds.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    dfein001 wrote: »

I want that printed on a tee shirt

SAME!

• marisanell17
    marisanell17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety too but thankfully got new depression medication but my anxiety definitely still affects am I cooking right am I eating what I think is healthy but really isn’t if I have a soda at a restaurant will people think she should be drinking water look at how fat she is etc etc. it’s frustrating but slowly getting better through the years! Unfortunately even when I went a whole summer working out almost every single day lifting weights I never felt that “extreme euphoric” happy addicting feeling a lot of people rave about
  • Naina149
    Naina149 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I struggle with depression/anxiety and my mental health has played a huge role in this weightloss journey. Feel free to add me.
  • niki2113
    niki2113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I have anxiety and depression
  • LilFoxtrot
    Options
    Im so glad we're not alone in this ❤️
  • valcandothis
    valcandothis Posts: 19 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The worst part about psych meds is the fatigue, increased appetite, and the ceaseless carb cravings. Then there are the doctors who try to blame you for the weight gain even though the research is crystal clear- most of them lead to weight gain because of side effects. Even the so-call "weight neutral" drugs cause weight gain in some people. Some will lose weight on drugs that most people gain weight on. It's a crap shoot. So people blame themselves. And yet, the meds are often non-negotiable. So my point is not that it's hopeless- just that it's a hard battle and you're not alone. Also, be kind to yourself. Off my soapbox.
  • LilFoxtrot
    Options
    The worst part about psych meds is the fatigue, increased appetite, and the ceaseless carb cravings. Then there are the doctors who try to blame you for the weight gain even though the research is crystal clear- most of them lead to weight gain because of side effects. Even the so-call "weight neutral" drugs cause weight gain in some people. Some will lose weight on drugs that most people gain weight on. It's a crap shoot. So people blame themselves. And yet, the meds are often non-negotiable. So my point is not that it's hopeless- just that it's a hard battle and you're not alone. Also, be kind to yourself. Off my soapbox.

This sooooo much!
    Im lucky to have a therapist who completely understands how my meds cause weight gain AND has lost 100lbs herself so we can talk about my efforts and be on the same page.
  • LEdmonds2016
    LEdmonds2016 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My therapist wants to switch my meds up on me and I'm so scared that she's going to put me on something that will make me gain weight. She is switching me because even with insurance, my meds are over $500 a month and I just can't afford that.
  • LilFoxtrot
    Options
    My therapist wants to switch my meds up on me and I'm so scared that she's going to put me on something that will make me gain weight. She is switching me because even with insurance, my meds are over $500 a month and I just can't afford that.

Oh my gosh that's so expensive :( I can see why she'd want to switch you up.
  • LEdmonds2016
    LEdmonds2016 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

The problem is, too, that they work really well. So I don't want to be a guinea pig until we find another concoction that works.
  • LilFoxtrot
    Options

The problem is, too, that they work really well. So I don't want to be a guinea pig until we find another concoction that works.

That most definitely sucks. Is it possible to switch to the generic? Like i was on the brand celexa but now im on generic citalopram and its the same thing without a brand attached.