HUNGRY GIRL

Options
Hi I have been hearing alot lately about "Hungry Girl" has anyone tried any of her recipes and are they good??? I hope you all have a great day.
Kathy

Replies

• ek724q
    ek724q Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    yes they are, I have the 300 under 300 book and my kids loved the pizza grilled cheeses, I made it with multi grain 45 cal bread and they never said one word about it not being white bread
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i have tried her tofu shirataki noodle soup and it is very good (i add chicken to it, though). and i just learned about vitatops (muffins and brownies) from her and oh MY are they good (some are healthier than others, but they're all pretty good for you).
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    She is awesome, I have all her cook books!!! Of course there are always ones you don't like but she knows how to make a dish less calories and taste great!! Some I use all the time and it's fun to try something different!
    Holly:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've tried some of hers and they're really hit or miss. Mostly the desserts, she just can't figure them out. I made some peanut butter thing one time and it was so disgusting I just about gagged. I'd rather make the real thing and have half of it. Also, I hate pumpkin and applesauce and she uses that a lot. She also uses a lot of fake meat, which does not fly with me. I did discover shiritaki and tofu shiritaki from her though and I LOVE that! So you don't know unless you try.
  • kathy140
    kathy140 Posts: 75
    Options
    thank you I will have to look that book up. I need some new recipes to try getting bored with eating the same thing day in and day out.
    Have a great weekend
  • Ambie213
    Ambie213 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I also have the 300 under 300 book - Right now I'm actually having the "It's All Greek to Me" Egg bowl! The recipes are fabulous and very easy. Smore's oatmeal, smore's pancakes, pumpkin pie oatmeal, buffalo chicken mac and cheese, plus trio recipes (which all have 3 ingredients). I highly recommend it!
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    I was going to buy her books, when I discovered she has a ton of her recipes on the website. I have many MANY things!!! Apple pie-lets, iced coffee, egg mugs, cookies...SO YUMMY!!!!! Even my boyfriend likes some of her recipes!!!
  • natalie7015
    natalie7015 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love watching her show on the Food Network on Saturday mornings and she has two cookbooks out. They are both available at Sam's for around $12. I also like most of the reciepes I have tried in Rocco DiSprirto's new cookbook, Eat This...everything is under four hundred calories and portions seem good sized so far. No strange or hard to find ingredients.
  • kathy140
    kathy140 Posts: 75
    Options
    thanks everyone for all your help. I wil have to try some of her recipes. have a great day
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    LOVE HG recipes - they are easy and usually only make 1-2 servings, which works out perfectly for me and DH. She has a TV show on the Food channel, new season starts this weekend. If you don't have her books, you can go to this website, find an episode of interest, and get her recipes from there.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show
  • MissMegan3119
    Options
    I have one of her cookbooks, and I do love her recipes. I just need to be careful because a lot of them are SUPER high in sodium, like half of a day's worth in one meal. But, yes, I do love a lot of them.
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am going to have to check this out!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have two of the cookbooks and I like the recipes... with some modifications.

- I hate fake meat, I'll swap it out for the leanest ground beef or turkey
    - Too much sodium! I try to find lower sodium items or ways to swap out how much is in them. I'm really careful with my sodium levels and quite a few recipes rely too much on canned or processed things that are high in sodium
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of Hungry Girl, but is anyone else ever concerned that she seems to use an awful lot of pre-packaged low fat food? I think she's a product of the 80s and hasn't learned that regardless of calorie count, low fat food is mostly garbage because it's filled with additives.
  • sunirenee
    sunirenee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lisa Lillian aka Hungry Girl, actually has 5 cookbooks out that cover everything from cocktails to desserts. I have them all and have only tried a couple of things that I had to tweek to my liking. My husband eats the things I make from her recipes and has not complained yet. I love that fact that she teaches you how to incorporate foods into a recipe that increases the volume without huge calorie increased. Season 2 of her show starts on Food Network this Sunday at 9:00 am central. I have the DVR set and ready to go! As you probably guessed I am a HUGE HG fan! You can also sign up on her website to get daily emails that are loaded with great, useful information. Welcome to the Hungry Girl world, it is a good place to be when you are on a weight loss journey!
  • CajunCubsFan
    CajunCubsFan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love her, she is my new favorite show. I want to get her book. She has awesome tips and information. I have her show DVRed!!! 
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Try her "slaw and order" recipe!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Try her "slaw and order" recipe!

OMG - isn't that the BEST stuff? We have it with steamed spiced shrimp... LOVE IT!!!!
  • lucythe
    lucythe Posts: 33
    Options
    I just happened to spot your post as I was sitting here eating my Hungry Girl special egg mug - which is delicious and 122 calories. I haven't been disappointed yet on any of her recipes. I have her cookbooks, and she's also on TV on Sunday mornings so I record that and get more ideas. Good luck and try it, I don't think you'll regret it.
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Her books are good, but she uses a lot of artificial flavoring and lots of fat-free stuff...also lots of processed foods, to make things quicker, but if u swap some things out it gets to be good :)