cakes

Options
When baking a box cake mix you can cut the calories in half by using egg beaters instead of eggs and apple sauce instead of oil. Use half a container of ready use icing mixed with a cup of fat free cool whip and beat with mixer to add air it goes farther. I baked a carrot cake for my sons birthday and did this and cut the calories to 156 calories for a small slice. (I cut the cake in 16 slices.)

Replies

• rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Thanks, that's good advice. What particiular reday to use icing brand did you use?
  • aliciastar
    Options
    You can also take a cake mix and a 12 oz. can of diet pop and mix it together. You do not need eggs or oil, just the can of pop. I like to take a yellow cake mix and mix it with a diet orange. After cooling I place cool whip on it and mandarin oranges. The cake tastes like orange it is wonderful. The cake is very moist. You can use any diet pop that you would like. My husband likes cream soda, so I use it.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    you can skip the eggs and oil altogether and use a can of diet coke. Then you don't have that horrible apple sauce taste! ok I just don't like applesauce.
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There's a WW cake as well that's super good. Mix a spice cake (the mix only)with a can of pumpkin puree and half a cup of water. I like to mix cinnamon with FF whipped cream for the frosting....yum :)
  • crobinson53
    Options
    Great tips!!! I'm looking forward to trying this. When will you be sending me one in the mail? :happy:
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You can also take a cake mix and a 12 oz. can of diet pop and mix it together. You do not need eggs or oil, just the can of pop. I like to take a yellow cake mix and mix it with a diet orange. After cooling I place cool whip on it and mandarin oranges. The cake tastes like orange it is wonderful. The cake is very moist. You can use any diet pop that you would like. My husband likes cream soda, so I use it.

Wow - never heard of this but love it! I'll have to give it a go.
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm also a fan of adding a can of diet soda to a cake mix. Our summer favorite is to take 2 small bags of frozen fruit, cake mix on top and then pour a can of soda over the top (you don't mix the cakeand pop). We call it "Berry Buckle", lemon cake mix goes great with the berries!
  • auntamama
    auntamama Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this. I knew you could use apple sauce, but never thought about egg substitute. My almost 3 year old is always asking me for cupcakes, but the temptation isn't worth it most the time, so this will make me much less guilty if I indulge and make her so happy.
  • jprice121381
    Options
    This one sounds new and interesting.
  • aliciastar
    Options
    How many calories for the "Berry Buckle" and what is the serving size
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    All of this talk about cake, good info and very tempting, and of course when I saw the topic "cake" I immediately had to read it. But honestly, it's a food I just have to steer clear of. I'm not good with just having a small slice. Always want more. It just sits there on the table and calls my name over and over and I end up having to hide the whole thing under a towel.

Trying to train myself away from sweets in general and learn to appreciate natural sweetness in fruit and vegs. It's working, I haven't wanted cookies or cake or candy in a long time, although if there's ever a mini Snickers around, watch out, here I come. Ha.

Anyway, I picked blueberries yesterday and this morning I'll bake Low Fat Blueberry Muffins. I think the recipe is posted here in the Recipe topic section on MFP. They're so good. Must enforce the issue of having only one with coffee and freeze the extras.
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured out the calorie count on the "Buckle" nor serving size but it would be pretty easy to do by adding the cake's calories and frozen berries. It turns into more of a "cobbler" then a cake.
  • mryoun
    mryoun Posts: 3
    Options
    That sounds delicious!! You'll have to make it for us for work! :D
  • mryoun
    mryoun Posts: 3
    Options

That sounds delicious!! You'll have to make it for us for work! :D