What are your favorite "free" foods?

Options
13»

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Not free but I love some fudgesicles. The name brand is no sugar added so they’re only 40 cal. I don’t rely notice a lack of sugar, it being chocolate and all. Oh, and you just split the twin package and eat one to be 40 cal.

Thank you for reminding me about fudgesicles. I forgot that they are yummy and sometimes low cal.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are the best snack. They’re kind of sweet so they’re awesome by themselves. They're also super cheap, 0.85 at Lidl for a medium sized bag. And don’t judge me but I love celery with hot sauce. Also, frozen blueberries with some almond milk if you want something sweet is delicious.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sugar free Jello. 15 calories. Satifies sweet tooth.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ainar wrote: »
    I love asparagus. 100g has like 20 calories, that's not even enough to to brake a fast. 90% of them consists of indigestible fiber so the thing just goes through you without even being digested. And naturally since you can not even digest the thing your body can't absorb it and add it to fat stores.

It's food... it breaks your fast...
    I love asparagus. 100g has like 20 calories, that's not even enough to to brake a fast. 90% of them consists of indigestible fiber so the thing just goes through you without even being digested. And naturally since you can not even digest the thing your body can't absorb it and add it to fat stores.

@Ainar -- Fasting is a period of time of no eating (Several hours)
    To break a fast all you need to do is consume food.. It is not a certain amount of calories.

By "not gonna brake a fast" I did not meant an action of starting to ate but biological fasting state that body goes into after not consuming calories for a certain amount of time. 20 calories will not make you fall out of that state. So for us people who practice intermittent fasting for example it is literary free food that will not brake that fast.

Also just because something comes out the back end almost intact it doesn't mean it wasn't digested.
    Digestion starts by putting food into your mouth and chewing it, there is digestive enzymes in your saliva.

Secondly, Asparagus can very well be added as fat stores.. Anything you eat above your maintenance calories is stored as fat, regardless of how much of it comes out of your body at the end.
    That's not what I said. What I said is that dietary fiber (which is mostly what asparagus is made from) can not be digested and absorbed by the human body. That's just biological fact, look it up. Sure, you might chew the food making it into a mush. But the actual fiber molecules themselves can not be broken down because human body lacks necessary enzyme to do it and hence nutrients can not be extracted and absorbed.

And no, if you can't absorb it then it will not go to your fat stores...

Unless one is some kind of biology student they will not make a distinction between digestion process on mechanical level and chemical level. When the average person hears the word "not digested" they just think "oh, I just poop it out without absorbing it". Just as when the average person sees food called "dairy free avocado butter" they just think "oh, it's a creamy substance made mostly from avocados that you put on a bread like butter" not "I better go explain to everybody how it's wrong to call it butter cos there is no dairy in it"

Guys, you're now just being OCD about words like these grammar nazis on internet that start barking cos somebody forgot to put a comma at the right place lol wtf. :dizzy:

I've never fasted and am genuinely curious.

Can you tell me where's the line that triggers a break in a fast? At what calorie intake has one broken their fast?

It's arbitrary. Some people believe that anything under 500 calories a day means you're in a fasted state, some believe that you have to have not taken in ANY calories whatsoever to be in a fasted state, and some believe that anything you've consumed other than water means that you've broken the fast.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    SusanDSME wrote: »
    Wow, @PixelPuff - I'd never heard of Shirataki noodles! looks like my supermarket stocks them. I'll be giving them a try! Thanks!

If you try them tell me how they taste

So, @GlorianasTears - I tried them! I rinsed them in warm water, then heated them up in a dry pan... then put pesto on them. They had a little more crunch than typical white-flour pasta, but they had a totally neutral taste and filled me up. The one I tried was a Tofu Shirataki noodle, so the 8 ounce serving I had had 20 calories. Not bad!
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Wow, @PixelPuff - I'd never heard of Shirataki noodles! looks like my supermarket stocks them. I'll be giving them a try! Thanks!

So, @GlorianasTears - I tried them! I rinsed them in warm water, then heated them up in a dry pan... then put pesto on them. They had a little more crunch than typical white-flour pasta, but they had a totally neutral taste and filled me up. The one I tried was a Tofu Shirataki noodle, so the 8 ounce serving I had had 20 calories. Not bad!

Hah, I had made some today, too! Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine noodles. Sauteed thinly sliced onion, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, asparagus, chicken thigh... Very end, adding the noodles, cooked'm a bit, then a sliiight amount of alfredo. I'm gonna have a great lunch tomorrow!

I recommend using them for a spicy stir fry noodle. Pad thai works great with it.
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Are they expensive? I definitely need to give them a try! Thanks for telling me about them low calorie alternatives are always awesome
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Especially now that it's getting chilly, I love Celestial Seasonings' Bengal Spice tea. The cinnamon makes it so sweet, I don't need to put any sweetener in. I like a splash of lowfat milk, but it's delicious even without.

What are your favorite very low cal/no cal foods? Bonus points if they aren't artificially sweetened.

I drink my tea from a rather large mug so whatever tea I choose I always add a bag of Celestial Seasonings' Bengal Spice. I'm as close to being addicted to that stuff as I have ever been to anything.

I don't count calories so the concept of 'free food' is a little foreign to me but I think I'd say greens would be my favorite free food. I never even consider the calories of greens they are so low.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Diet black cherry/citrus Fresca
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

It's food... it breaks your fast...

@Ainar -- Fasting is a period of time of no eating (Several hours)
    To break a fast all you need to do is consume food.. It is not a certain amount of calories.

By "not gonna brake a fast" I did not meant an action of starting to ate but biological fasting state that body goes into after not consuming calories for a certain amount of time. 20 calories will not make you fall out of that state. So for us people who practice intermittent fasting for example it is literary free food that will not brake that fast.

Also just because something comes out the back end almost intact it doesn't mean it wasn't digested.
    Digestion starts by putting food into your mouth and chewing it, there is digestive enzymes in your saliva.

Secondly, Asparagus can very well be added as fat stores.. Anything you eat above your maintenance calories is stored as fat, regardless of how much of it comes out of your body at the end.
    That's not what I said. What I said is that dietary fiber (which is mostly what asparagus is made from) can not be digested and absorbed by the human body. That's just biological fact, look it up. Sure, you might chew the food making it into a mush. But the actual fiber molecules themselves can not be broken down because human body lacks necessary enzyme to do it and hence nutrients can not be extracted and absorbed.

And no, if you can't absorb it then it will not go to your fat stores...

Unless one is some kind of biology student they will not make a distinction between digestion process on mechanical level and chemical level. When the average person hears the word "not digested" they just think "oh, I just poop it out without absorbing it". Just as when the average person sees food called "dairy free avocado butter" they just think "oh, it's a creamy substance made mostly from avocados that you put on a bread like butter" not "I better go explain to everybody how it's wrong to call it butter cos there is no dairy in it"

Guys, you're now just being OCD about words like these grammar nazis on internet that start barking cos somebody forgot to put a comma at the right place lol wtf. :dizzy:

I've never fasted and am genuinely curious.

Can you tell me where's the line that triggers a break in a fast? At what calorie intake has one broken their fast?

Contrary to the above, any food eaten breaks your fast.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Ahh.. i didn't realize i get to stink while i eat it.. excellent lol

No, you don't really stink. Just your pee.

Probably the number one reason why I highly dislike asparagus. My pee stinks for nearly 3 days afterwards. I just can't deal with that particular olfactory infringement.

I much prefer the fun of beetroots. Purple poo and pee :tongue:

I once forgot in had eaten a whole jar of beetroot....the morning pee was a little heart stopping until it clicked.

Last year I ate a half dozen or so of the Peeps Oreos.

Yeah... Same effect.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    NuPasta, 25 cals per serving vs it's 310 cal regular pasta counterpart
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk. Recently discovered that it foams just like whole milk, so for the low-low calorie cost of 18, i can have my frothy homemade lattes again!
  • SusanDSME
    Options
    @GlorianasTears They're more than regular pasta (but there isn't much cheaper than regular pasta), but not terrible - my supermarket chain has them for $1.99 for 8 oz (ready to eat). Give 'em a try!
    @PixelPuff I want to try them in peanut noodles this week!
    @Need2Exerc1se Greens are so great...so good for you and almost no calories! The first time I logged a salad I burst out laughing! Good thing I like greens.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. Because of the effort to scoop out hard ice cream, it's true, you a free or calorie - negative food! The more you scoop the more you burn!
  • SusanDSME
    Options
    Wow! I just made shirataki noodles with peanut noodles. It was delicious, and the consistency of the noodles worked just fine. I saved a couple hundred calories... now I can have eggnog with dessert! (I know, it's not the healthiest thing to do with my calories, but it's almost Christmas!)
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Snowdusk wrote: »
    Snacks at parties, free food is always the best ;)

wish the awesome button still existed :(
  • lulpapaya
    lulpapaya Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always counted fruits and veggies like apples, oranges, cucumber, pears, etc as zero calories because they burn more calories to digest than they are worth. always been a helpful lil cheat (;
  • ianjchadwick
    ianjchadwick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Coffee - if you drink it without anything else, it's basically 0 cal. I usually add a bit of almond/soy milk though, since that is lower cal, and it makes it taste a lot better/sweeter.

I try to stay away from diet sodas and such, because I am not convinced that aspartame or sucralose aren't bad for you, but once in a wile I'll have diet coke. I also like Vitamin Water Zero (the XXX antioxidant one and the lemonade one) since they use stevia as a sweetener instead.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lulpapaya wrote: »
    I've always counted fruits and veggies like apples, oranges, cucumber, pears, etc as zero calories because they burn more calories to digest than they are worth. always been a helpful lil cheat (;

@lulpapaya That's actually not true. Far from it. It is a myth perpetuated by facebook pages and pintrest and has been thoroughly debunked. Some veggies are very low calorie, but an apple, pear, orange etc can run you at 100+ calories and it takes nothing like that to burn them. Not even celery takes more to burn than you take in.

If you think about it logically, if they did take more to burn than they are worth - someone on a desert island with nothing to eat but veggies, apples, pears, oranges etc would starve to death FASTER by eating them than by not eating at all. The more they ate, the faster they'd starve.