Beginner in fitness

Options
Hello, I recently began using MFP again, focusing on healthier food choices. I think I've gotten into a pretty good routine as far as my eating habits and logging.

I haven't been exercising more than routine tasks at work (a lot of walking and lifting), but I want to take the next step and start making fitness goals.

In the past I have injured myself pushing myself too hard running(shin splints, knee pain, etc.). What else is there for cardio that may be easier on my body?

Can anyone share with me how they started and what makes it easy to stick with fitness goals?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would get fitted for some good running shoes first. IThen start walking at a fast pace until you get to where you are doing three miles a day. After that mix in short interval runs into the walks. I used this method to go from "I can't run due to knee pain" to running a half marathon. I think starting slow and building slowly is the key to avoid injuries.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on what you like or want to do.

Personally I have never run. I don't like it and I don't think it would be good for my particular circumstances.

I started with aqua fit, then walking at a speed to do 10km races.
    I have since then done belly dancing, aerobics, Zumba, Pilates, swimming, and probably a couple of other things as well.

Now, I walk at a leasurly pace daily, just part of my day, and do indoor rowing as my cardio alternating with resistance training.

If you don't feel you want to run, don't, there are lots of other things.
    If you do want to, get fitted for shoes then start with walking. Once you have your walking at a comfortable 30 min look at doing a C25k programme.

Whatever you decide start slow and allow your body (and mind) to adapt.

Cheers, h.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike is easy on the knees - I used it for easing back into fitness because it's simple to increase the intensity as you become more fit, takes little time (fifteen minutes daily of intense sweaty cycling can make a big improvement to your cardio fitness), and there's no weather related excuse for not doing it. If you don't have access to a bike, try some videos on YouTube. I like popsugar's guest videos because they provide a sampler of different pros, and if you like someone you can look up more of their stuff.
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I got motivated by looking around on YouTube for exercise videos. I found Jen Hilman and beginner yoga, and I do this every day now. I think it will go nicely with any cardio you choose.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I used to get knee pains and terrible shin splints. The elliptical is amazing for this! I have also found that a 5 min warm up, a 5 min cool down, and ending with a lot of stretching helps a lot.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh and start slow and gradually increase your workouts. It will be so much easier in the long run.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I am all for taking it slow, no matter what you do. Beyond that, it’s all up to you. Would you be motivated by working out with other people with some external motivation? Maybe check out a gym nearby. Want structure but would rather not be around other people? Look for videos online - I’ve been using Fitness Blender and quite enjoying it, but there are tons of options. You don’t need to do a lot to start out - just 15-20 minutes a day getting your heart rate up is huge for your health.

I started off walking more, then running a little bit, then it turned out I liked running, so that was kind of my thing until there started being ice on the ground. I’d already started some body weight work at that point, wall push-ups and squats every other day or so, so once I decided that indoor or snowy running wasn’t my jam, I’ve really focused on that. I really just try and do something almost every day, of whatever intensity, and honestly it feels pretty great. I find it helps to do a lot of reading but not lose sight of the basic big picture - just getting that heart rate up for a few minutes every or almost every day.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    you can get some crazy cardio results with just basic floor exercises that use compound movements or ones that utilize larger muscle groups like legs (body weight squats, jump squats, pistol squats, froggers, burpees, ect). Limit your recovery time between movements and that will keep your HR up. A few years ago I worked with a personal trainer for 4 months and I ended up losing 30 lbs! And that was without doing any running or lifting any weights! It was purely body weight stuff ... and a clean diet. The key to success: don't do the same routine over and over, understand it takes time to see results - patience, consistency, clean eating, surround yourself with others who share the same vision or have the same goals.