Ways to make Greek yogurt more appetizing?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons of chocolate ovaltine and you have chocolate pudding...
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Drop the gross Greek yogurt in the trash and have a protein shake!
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't like plain greek yogurt that much but there's tons of flavors that I like.

Alternatively, find other ways to get protein eating things you actually enjoy.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If you're open to trying flavored Greek yogurts, light and fit has a great line of dessert ones like chocolate raspberry, tiramisu and key lime pie that are tasty! I believe Chobani has "flip" greek yogurts that are flavored greek yogurt with tasty stuff to mix in. The flips ones are higher in calories though then a cup of just yogurt.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I like adding unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla, peanut butter and truvia to mine. I usually add some frozen raspberries to top it off. You could add it to a smoothie. You won’t even taste the tartness when it’s mixed in with the fruit.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    walnuts and honey - so yum
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of grape jelly. Makes it nice and sweet for only 50 extra calories.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I go for flavored Greek Yogurt, usually vanilla. It takes some of the tang away. I mix In chia seeds the night before so they have time to set, then add either musli, bananas, berries, oats, or granola before eating it.

For cottage cheese, I add preserves or jam. Could be good in yogurt too.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It sounds like everyone on the thread has sweet variations covered. If you're open to savory variations, try tzatziki sauce on sandwiches (lemon, garlic, oregano, plus olive oil if you have the calories for it) or raitha with Indian food (raitha can be made with anything but is often cucumbers). You can also add yogurt to salsas to make a creamy dip.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I got strawberry stevia drops from MyProtein and it makes plain yoghurt really fruity.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    First, don't eat anything you don't like.

But if you want to try to like it,

If you like chocolate, I add a tablespoon of cocoa powder some stevia (or the sweetener of your choice) mix it up and dip strawberries. So decadent.

Also, I don't know if they have it where you live, but Kellogs Vector makes a high protein granola here (20 grams per half cup) I put a quarter cup on some greek yogurt with some cut up apple for sweetness and about a teaspoon of GOOD vanilla (no cheap stuff, get the real stuff) and some cinnamon. It's just enough added sweet things that I don't need sweetener.

When it comes to plain yogurt I try and stay away from berries or things that are acidic and I try to stick to sweet fruits and usually I don't need sweetener.

Either way, if you just keep trying and don't like it, it's no big loss. I hate meat and I get lots of protein. There are always other options.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I mix it into my oatmeal with berries & blackstrap molasses plus hemp/flax seeds and walnuts and cinnamon (26g total protein). I love yogurt, but mixing it like this does mute the tartness. I also like it seasoned as a salad dressing: Perhaps that make a bit of tartness more tolerable?

That said, I agree with those saying life is waaay too short to eat things that aren't tasty, when there are so many tasty, nutritious foods in the world. If you don't like Greek yogurt, skip it.

If you haven't visited it yet, I highly recommend it as a resource for everyone from vegan to "meatatarian" who wants to get more protein:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • mathdad41
    mathdad41 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I add honey (from our own hives) and sometimes some almonds if I want some crunch.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt..my favorite lately is fage full fat or 2%. Add stevia and/ or honey, jam, canned fruit, fresh fruit, granola..love all of it but not all at once. I've added salt, pepper, and seasoning to make veggie dip. Oikos triple zero is good too. And Safeway's open nature plain is low cal and high protein. Now I'm hungry!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Honey. That's what the Greeks do. Yum :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The only way I like Greek yogurt is when it's vanilla flavor and I'm dipping apple slices in it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The Greek Gods Greek Yogurt with Honey is quite pleasant tasting.

I make my own yogurt. I fooled around and found a way of using powdered milk to make a less fat form of greek yogurt that doesn't require straining yogurt. I use 2 parts non-fat powdered milk and 4 parts whole fortified powdered milk to make 2 quarts of yogurt. The finished product is thick, smooth, and quite pleasant tasting.

I add granola, blueberries, and peanut powder to my yogurt, but that's only to pile on more fiber, protein, and phytonutrients.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Truvia with pb2, dark cocoa powder, or both.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I get either whole milk yogurt or 2% (Cabot makes a good 2%), not the nasty fat free stuff. I add applesauce, apricot preserves, pumpkin butter or other real fruit/sugar flavors. It ends up being ~300 calories a cup, but it is something I like instead of something I can choke down.