If you dind't start jogging/running yet

Options
If you dind't start jogging/running yet,

Go for it. Don’t wait any longer. Even a short distance will make you feel great after you finish.

Don’t feel embarrassed by your slow pace. If people look at you, it means they wish they had the courage to jog like you.

I jogged very slowly and for short period of time at the beginning. It felt so awkward. I was heavy and completely out of shape when I started. It was hard and I felt the weight every step I took.

It didn’t make it easier that I had to get up a half hour earlier. But every time I forced myself do to it I was proud of myself and was rewarded with a fantastic feeling after I finished.

I slowly increased the distance to three loops around the block and did three loops (approx. 1 mile) every day for a while.

Today I went for the fourth loop and managed to complete it without stopping. What a feeling! Life is beautiful.

I don’t jog for the weight loss. We can’t effectively lose weight simply by jogging. We don’t burn enough calories to be worth performing solely for that purpose. If you your weight is 200 pounds and you jog a mile, you will burn 150 calories.

I achieve weight loss through other means. I jog because of my heart condition. I also noticed other benefits of jogging. I wish I had started jogging years ago.

If you don’t jog/run I encourage you to do find time and do it.

You are going to love the feeling after you finish.

Replies

• jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Where is that "like" button when you need it? Great post!!
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    :heart:

I don't and I think I may start :wink:
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started with c25k... week 2 right now... love it.
  • sjklaus
    sjklaus Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump...great post!
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It weird, I find that when I jog slow it's harder for me. It feels like such a burden and like I'm dragging behind me an anchor. But the more I up the pace and really add longer strides to my jog/run, I can go on forever. Anyone else find this to be true for them?
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You are so right!

I love getting up at 5:30 am and going for a good run. By the time I get home and get out of the shower I think to myself.. "How many people get to have such a great feeling of accomplishment before 7am?"
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    Love this post. Love running!

:)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Used to run. Liked the results, hated the running. Zumba is more fun.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love to run!
  • Caseyanna
    Options
    Trying it tonight for my first time. Thank you for the motivation!
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It weird, I find that when I jog slow it's harder for me. It feels like such a burden and like I'm dragging behind me an anchor. But the more I up the pace and really add longer strides to my jog/run, I can go on forever. Anyone else find this to be true for them?

Same thing here, my knee's hurt and swell up if I take smaller strides
  • kritty2
    kritty2 Posts: 8
    Options
    Great post!!! Thanks!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Running slowly isn't "natural" for our bodies. We actually burn more calories using a running motion to go at walking speeds than running at 6 MPH.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Running is better than Xanax. And *almost* as good as sex. :wink:
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I have never felt stronger than when I was regularly running. I'm finishing up week 4 of Couch to 5K today. Love running!
  • BARBIED0LL
    BARBIED0LL Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love jogging and running. Yesterday at the gym I burned 360 calories in an hour :) I woke up
    1.5lbs lighter;
    On a side note: I have found your body gets use to it and you stop losing weight. I changed up my routine by varying itensity and duration.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I played- soccer, softball and fieldhockey and could not run more then a mile without feeling like I was going to passing out- therefore I was the goalie and the catcher. I was the one that "could never run." Well one day I got sick of being that person. I went to the apple store and got the NIKE+ for my ipod.

When I started running I can't imagine what I looked like- I started with a 3/4 a mile and slowly went to a mile. I am happy to say I am running my 1ST 5K in September! I run a 5k twice a week around 31/32 mins and a 3k 1ce a week to train. I also bike to work as much as possible (5.5miles).

My goal is to be under 30 mins but to be honest- I am just happy I signed up and am going to do it.

I am proof that anyone can do it!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Great post - although I will add that almost all of my weight loss has been due to running! I clock up the miles pretty heftily though so that helps the calorie burn. For me at 153lbs I burn about 75cals per km (roughly 100 cals per mile I guess). I usually run between 30 and 50km per week - that's a nice calorie burn of 2,250 to 3,750cals per week before I've even thought about any other exercise.

I also run because heart problems run in our family (no pun intended). Since I started running in January I've lost over 70lbs, dropped my BP from 140/85 to 120/70 and my resting HR from 65 to 48. Can't ask for better reasons than that!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Running is better than Xanax. And *almost* as good as sex. :wink:
    Sex would only win hands-down if you could also go out shopping for special shoes for it! :tongue:
  • hurrayhurrah
    Options
    I run between 5-10 miles a day five days a week, unless I'm injured. I have to say, my mood has never been better, I've never felt better, and it's such beautiful scenery!