New rules of lifting for women

Options
M_lifts
M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
just bought this book online today and cant wait for it to arrive. Ive been inspired by loads of my friends to start lifting so will give it a go. my hubby got the barbells out of the shed. they are 15lbs but adjustable so can increase or decrease. Are these ok to start with? They are x5 times what i use now! so im thinking a good place to start. what do u think?

Replies

• BARBIED0LL
    BARBIED0LL Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go for it girlfriend! I started at 10lb free weights and worked my way up to 30lbs!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think most women use far too light weights, and that's coming from me, a dedicated non-lifter (these days). I use 2 x 6.6lb weights to do things like the 30DS and other aerobic exercise that uses weights. I always go for the heaviest option, as it makes it more worthwhile. I find it hard enough to burn any calories, I need all the help I can get!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Start with whatever amount it takes to get resistance... the strength will come in time and you can work your way up. Don't start too heavy or you risk injury. Slow & steady wins the race!
  • M_lifts
    Options
    Start with whatever amount it takes to get resistance... the strength will come in time and you can work your way up. Don't start too heavy or you risk injury. Slow & steady wins the race!

thanks, 3-5lbs too light for me now. But i think i will start with 8/10lbs. must admit that 15lbs was a bit heavy! but like you said i can work my way up.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    10-15 pounds to start, no lower.
  • M_lifts
    Options
    thank you ladies. will start with 10lbs :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    10-15 pounds to start, no lower.

I agree get your form down first then start taking it up. You're going to love the book, it's my bible!! lol
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I think it is comical to tell someone 10-15 lbs and no lower... this is very discouraging for someone who may want to get into lifting. Not everyone can even lift 10 lbs and that is OK. Start with what is 'heavy' for you and then move up... you shouldn't feel bad or ashamed if you cannot lift 10 lbs. Everyone has different beginning levels but as long as you continue to build strength- you will progress.

Start where you can- there is no magical number. Keep moving forward.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/276660-i-do-dvds-so-i-don-t-need-to-strength-train
    This thread has a lot of great tips about strength training.
  • gailosborne
    Options
    How exciting I love it, but you dont need to choose the weights now:-)
    The programme has different sets of reps for different exercises over the six months. So initially you may just be using your body weight for some moves like squats. If you have to do15 reps you will need a much lighter weight than if you are doing 5 reps.
    You need to make sure you are using correct form at first anyhow.
    The book guides you through choosing the right weights and knowing how it should make you feel if it is heavy enough, it also takes 6 months so you have time for a little trial and error.
    I think you will be suprised as to what you can do!!
  • M_lifts
    Options
    Thanks for the info ladies
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I think it is comical to tell someone 10-15 lbs and no lower... this is very discouraging for someone who may want to get into lifting. Not everyone can even lift 10 lbs and that is OK. Start with what is 'heavy' for you and then move up... you shouldn't feel bad or ashamed if you cannot lift 10 lbs. Everyone has different beginning levels but as long as you continue to build strength- you will progress.

Start where you can- there is no magical number. Keep moving forward.

I disagree - I think the only way to force real change is to start strong. Obviously if it is too much and you're feeling like you're going to be injured you should downgrade. NROLFW starts with mostly body weight anyhow.

I was 102 pounds when I started lifting and I could handle 10 pound dumbbells. I think most women can and should. We as females tend to underestimate ourselves.

I'm surprised at you! A heavy lifter telling someone to go light! LOL :wink:
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine most women wouldn't be able to do 8 reps of 10-15 pounds. A relatively weaker guy can do 20s-25s. I started at 30s can do 40s now, but then I'm a guy.
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    who writes the book?
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Go for it and each week try to increase your weight by 10% so you have less of a risk of plateauing. I started with 10 pounds dumbbells when I started lifting. At 30s now and I can use 40s for others.