Too much water intake?

Options
I am 5'2 128lbs and workout with beginners strenght training 3x weekly and cardio 2x a week. I usually drink about 11 cups of water during the first half of my day and 2 or 3 additional cups (sometimes more) by the end of the day. Is drinking 14 cups of water a day healthy for someone my size?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    By "healthy," what problems are you specifically worried about?

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    8 ounce cups? 112 ounces of water total. Should be fine.

32 ounce "cups"? That's probably a problem.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You want your pee to generally be a medium to very light yellow. If it's clear all the time, you might be drinking too much. If you are forcing yourself to drink that much, you probably don't need to.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The cups I'm talking about are each 8oz. I've just heard drinking a lot of water can be unhealthy/cause issues, I was just wanting to know what everyone else thinks about it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    hyponeutremia is a real thing - but from what you said, i don't think you are drinking enough to potentially risk that...there was someone a few months ago who was going 200+oz a day and had symptoms of/had been diagnosed with it
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I am 5'2 128lbs and workout with beginners strenght training 3x weekly and cardio 2x a week. I usually drink about 11 cups of water during the first half of my day and 2 or 3 additional cups (sometimes more) by the end of the day. Is drinking 14 cups of water a day healthy for someone my size?

I'm the same size as you, and aim to drink 80-100oz a day. I've been doing this for a long time (probably a year) and have had zero negative affects from it, I find it helps a lot with my bloat and I see a nice drop on the scale the following day if I had a previous high-sodium day after drinking my water. I don't plan to stop anytime soon.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The cups I'm talking about are each 8oz. I've just heard drinking a lot of water can be unhealthy/cause issues, I was just wanting to know what everyone else thinks about it.

Yes it can.

Are you drinking to thirst or because you think you have to?

Is your pee clear?
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I drink 3 cups (some of it I have to make myself drink) before my first shift and 2 cups after my workout. The rest of it for the most part is because I'm thirsty. My pee for the most past is a very pale yellow and usually clear around noon.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body.

Drinking too much water can deplete your electrolyte balances, which could make you feel weak, nauseous, dizzy, confused, disoriented or give you a headache.

If you don't have any of those symptoms, you're probably fine!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Water intoxication is all but unheard of except in cases of forced hydration. The problem isn't the fluid intake, its the resulting imbalance of electrolytes, that cause an issue.

Symptoms are similar to those for heat injuries, which you have not mentioned being symptomatic.

If your concerned, then you can try replacing 1-2 cups with a sports drink with added electrolytes, during or after your intense workouts, and or supplement them in your normal diet.

Doubling your intake for an extended period would probably be dangerous, but at your current your fine, as long as it is spread out over the course of the day. Consuming it in a few hours, on the other hand, might be problematic, depending on your starting electrolyte levels.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options

It's usually only an issue if you have kidney problems or if you drink an excessive amount all at once.