2-A-Day Workouts: Good or Bad?

Options
There are various ways this may play out depending on the situation. Some people workout once in the morning and once in the evening. This could be a routine split in half or two completely different workouts. Intensity could vary and so many other factors...

I currently have a college schedule where I do not have time to do both cardio and weights in one session. If I were to do cardio pre weights I would already have burnt out the energy to do weights or would only be able to have a quick 15 minute run afterwards.

I used to do pure cardio for 60 to 90 minutes, but only very recently decided I should start to incorporate weights to gain muscle and strength too after losing about 50 lbs from my heaviest. I'm new to the fitness game and so my lack of knowledge shows.

Does anyone here do 2-A-Days? (Sorry for the lack of terminology too). What is it like for you? Would it be ideal to squeeze in a morning cardio session and weights later in the day? Or the other way around? Is it better to not workout twice a day and rather split my days to do cardio one day, weights the next and so on?

Any tips or other information regarding the topic is helpful too.

Thanks!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on your goals, experience, recovery, schedule etc.

I prefer to split up my lifting and cardio on separate days. My programming is very lower body focused so I am usually too burnt out to do it on the same day.

In the end you have to find a way that works for you.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I do two a days mainly for stress relief. I do a cardio or strength training dvd in the am Monday through Friday. After work I do a long jog or walk after work for stress relief instead of going home and bingeing (yes my job is that stressful at times but I have no interest in leaving it). Lately I've been splitting that evening workout between strength training and a shorter jog.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you're mixing cardio and lifting in one day, I'd pick one to be your focus that day to put your max effort into and let the other be more low intensity.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes, five days per week, weights in the early a.m. and cardio boot camp at early p.m. Unless rain stops the night class. About eight months now. Recommend? It depends on what your training, threshold and recovery is.

What is it like? Well accustomed to it now. Maybe took a little ramping up at the beginning. Now it feels weird not to go two times per day.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I currently do at least 2 and sometimes 3 workouts in a day. I hr lifting and 2 thirty min rowing sessions 5-7 days/wk in the morning, afternoon or night.

Doesn't matter what order because the sessions are separated by at least 3-4 hrs and I am fully rested before I begin each session.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I do 2-A-Days. Allows for a good recovery when strength/muscle building and running/biking/swimming. Just make sure you are going into the workouts in a good state so you get what you want out of it. Ensure your plan is built around your personal goals.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My 2-a-day workout is just my lifting program broken into two parts. I have approximately one hour in the morning and 1.5 hours in the evening. Neither is enough time to completely finish my workout, so I do as much as I can in the morning, then finish it off in the evening and tack on a bit of cardio if time permits.
  • 796fra
    796fra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I often hit the gym for lifting and/or cardio in the morning and then hike 3-5 miles with our dog in the evening. Those are for me and my family. Some days I then hit a yoga class or go to the climbing gym with friends.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I used to do cardio plus weights in the same session. When I stopped, I realized how much the weights had suffered for this.
  • 796fra
    796fra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I used to do cardio plus weights in the same session. When I stopped, I realized how much the weights had suffered for this.

Cardio or weights first? If I'm doing both in the same session I do weights first. I haven't found my cardio to be reduced after.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If I wake up early I do a Classical Stretch-Essentrics workout...relaxing and not sweaty so it doesn't add a shower trip to my routine.

PM.... Workout as usual
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do 2 a day. One low intensity and one high intensity. I helps me get moving a little more in the day. With a desk job, sometimes my workouts is the only movement I will get all day.