In search of protien

Options
I am not eating enough protein. I am on 1800 Calories a day since Nov 1. I am currently at 245 lbs. I workout 7 days a week: 3 - 4 cardio sessions 26 min and 5 days strength training. I am eating a high protein and lower carb diet. I am supplementing with 29 g protein shake. I should be doing 200 grams protein but am averaging 130. I finding myself losing strength instead of gaining. Suggestions

Replies

• BexTheSquirrel
    BexTheSquirrel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Following because I need more protein too. It figures that the only protein bar I actually like only has 12g in it. -_-
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    A couple of things...
    1. I doubt your apparent loss of strength is due to your protein intake. I'd look first to recovery and overall nutrition as a more likely culprit.
    2. 200g of protein is a lot. It probably won't hurt you, but it might be more than necessary. Let's see what others think/say, but I'm betting you'd be good at 175g, which might be enough to allow for a bit more flexibility with your diet/foods.
    3. As for protein, whey powder is the easiest and most calorie-efficient for most people. After that, look at animal proteins. Leaner sources like chicken, some fish, and some ground beef can be very calorie-efficient... but there's no reason to avoid higher fat sources. Dairy can be a good option, too, though it typically comes with fats and/or carbs (not a bad thing, just something to be aware of.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    A couple of things...
    1. I doubt your apparent loss of strength is due to your protein intake. I'd look first to recovery and overall nutrition as a more likely culprit.
    2. 200g of protein is a lot. It probably won't hurt you, but it might be more than necessary. Let's see what others think/say, but I'm betting you'd be good at 175g, which might be enough to allow for a bit more flexibility with your diet/foods.
    3. As for protein, whey powder is the easiest and most calorie-efficient for most people. After that, look at animal proteins. Leaner sources like chicken, some fish, and some ground beef can be very calorie-efficient... but there's no reason to avoid higher fat sources. Dairy can be a good option, too, though it typically comes with fats and/or carbs (not a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

0.8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS. Which means if at 245 pounds you have 30% body fat (totally guessing), you should shoot for approximately 173 grams.

Some of my protein hacks:

Breakfast is usually plain greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and fruit.
    I prep chicken breasts on the smoker on Sunday, then make lunches out of them for the week.
    My afternoon snack is almost always a protein bar.
    Plan every meal around the protein.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would suggest making protein the focal point of every meal and snack. Some of my favorite high protein snacks are:

2 servings of reduced fat string cheese - 100 calories -14 grams of protein

One tub of 2% Fage Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of frozen cherries (I microwave them then add the yogurt) about 200 calories - 20 grams of protein

Tuna pouches - 15 grams of protein - 70 calories per pouch

I would also suggest adding an extra ounce of protein to each of your meals. That should give you an extra 20 grams of protein per day.
    That being said, hitting 200 grams on an 1800 calorie diet would be HARD! Can I ask why you are aiming for such a high amount of protein?
  • rockyhi512
    rockyhi512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am using a curves weight loss program where it suggests that I should consume my 45% of calories from protein, 30 % from carbs and 25% fat. I use Whey Protein Shake with a skim milk as a mix. I feel I need the extra protein for the weight training that I am doing. I also add a few extra veggies to my diet which is covered in part by my exercise. I avoid protein bars because they do not satisfy me and are a gateway to actual chocolate bars.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I workout 7 days a week: 3 - 4 cardio sessions 26 min and 5 days strength training.

I suspect also you are losing strength from an over-ambitious workout regimen. The trick to gaining strength is to work hard enough to feel it (twelve reps if it's lifting), then rest. Your muscles swell from the trauma you've just put them through and repair during the following day. If you workout five days a week, the muscles never have time to build.

I suggest one full rest day a week, 4 days strength training, and alternate days cardio (3 days max). I suggest also with the cardio that you run/sweat until you feel it, then rest for a minute. Repeat.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'd have to concur with the thoughts of over-training. Insufficient recovery time just is not a good thing for muscles; being ins a caloric deficit can only exacerbate that situation.

Also, 200g (800-calories) per day of protein seems extreme for many people (I'd echo the 0.8g to 1.0g per pound of LEAN body mass stated above -- typical value in a protein-sparing fast), but neither of these way your original question.

I've found the information on protein sources in this post to be quite handy. Maybe you'll discover something that'll work for you as well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Duh, yeah. Protein suggestions. It's easier to fit a macro in if you include it with every meal and snack.

Breakfast; Greek Yogurt or Eggs (or both)
    Snacks; beef jerky, cheese

Main meals; all the meats, fish, tofu.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Because most people don't have an accurate way to estimate LBM, especially while still substantially overweight, I usually suggest 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of a healthy goal weight (middle of BMI range for one's height, absent a better idea). This is just a conservative way to take a guess at about the same value, with some assumptions cooked into it.

+1 (and then some) to the thread @standenvernet linked above: It's excellent.

I'm with others. I don't think protein is the likely problem. Overtraining, underfueled training, insufficient muscle recovery, insufficient sleep, a nutritional deficiency/deficiencies, or just plain too aggressive a calorie deficit seem like more likely possibilities, absent more details about you.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    If you really think you're losing strength due to catabolism, then you can have your doctor measure your enPCR values (measures how much complete protein chains are in your blood).

Some hacks I do is add a scoop of protein powder and 2 Tbsp powdered peanuts to my oatmeal (20g from the whey, another 10 from the peanut powder, plus two servings of oatmeal already has 15g protein). For lunch and dinner I make a meal around a major protein source (beef, chicken, pork, tuna, shrimp, etc) and add other things until I get a total of 60g per meal.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    @rockyhi512 Here's the reason you are losing strength " I am eating a high protein and lower carb diet." Carbs are fuel, couple higher carbs with proper rest and you'll do fine. Good luck with your journey!!