Leading Ladies Challenge - Week 1 - (Closed Group)

Options
13»

Replies

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, hope your day is going well. It look like it will be a good day for yard work, so I plan to get outside today.

Samantha - hope your weigh in went OK.

Mary
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    FRAY 8/5/11 Question of the Day!!

Here's the scenario: you step on the scale and it gives you a number higher than you were hoping for. A) What would your usual response be? and B) If your usual response isn't ideal, what would you like to change it to?
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    8/5/11 Question of the Day!!

Here's the scenario: you step on the scale and it gives you a number higher than you were hoping for. A) What would your usual response be? and B) If your usual response isn't ideal, what would you like to change it to?

a - i get off and weigh myself an hour later (w/o eating/drinking) to see if its just an oddity. if its not, i record it & plan an extra exercise for that day - turn the bad into good by leveraging it as motivation.

b - idk if its ideal for everyone; but it works for me :)
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Yesterday, the dumb part of me decided to jump on the scale as soon as I put my suitcase down. Needless to say, it SUCKED. It really upset me because it went back up to 119, which was my MFP starting weight 45 days ago, so I couldn't help but to feel that I threw away 45 days and -4 pounds of hard work in about 3 days.
    My husband was there to make me feel better and even though I still feel crappy about it, the only thing I CAN do is get back on track. I already ate the food. It's done and all I can do is remember than actions have consequences, learn from my mistakes and take solace on the fact that I at least kept up with my workouts while on vacation.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Also, my wonderful husband pointed out that my brand new size 1 jeans still zip up.
    Bless his heart!
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options

a) Oh well, it is what it is!

This is a journey, there are going to be ups and downs. It is about learning to change your habits and your responses. And the scale is not the only measure of success. How do your clothes fit, are people noticing the changes, do you feel better, are you eating less, are you more aware of what you put in your mouth? Learn to appreciate all of the changes and remember it's just a number.
  • ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

For me it would depend on the situation….If I know I worked my butt off in the gym, focused on eating right, and the scale goes up, I would be completely bummed out! But I would just need to say to my self to keep it going and hope for a better number the next week.

If it was a situation where I was slacking off, eating unhealthy snacks here and there not hittin the gym hard, and the number went up, I would take it as “okay Alesha, get yourself together and let focus”
  • ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I missed my morning workout this morning, but I just needed a little more rest than what I have been getting!
    But I would like to say I am down 1.4 pounds as of this morning!!! I normally weigh myself every Sunday but I wanted to do it today because this weekend I will be out of town!!

Even tho it is only 1.4 down this week…it is better than nothing and I am HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LA_proud
    LA_proud Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I have had this happen to me more times than I care to remember. I have actually learned to listen to my body. And I now know what it tells me. These days, if the scale is up, it is usually because I have not had a bowel movement (sorry).
    So I am happy to stay the same for a day or two, cuz I know it will change.
  • defygravity531
    Options
    LA_Proud, that's what I tell my boyfriend!!! :-D haha. He's never had a weight problem so he never really weighed himself before but now he weighs himself because he sees me doing it and he was curious, lol. But he gets so annoyed when he wakes up and the number is "bad" I just tell him to do it again later after he poops. Ohhhh life. :)

I heard some other really great things here. It is what it is. Weigh in and move on. It's just a snap shot. And just because your weight-in-pounds is not responding, doesn't mean your body itself is not.

I look at the number and I say ok, you've come this far (I've lost 37.4 pounds total), going back is not an option. SO, today I'm going to fill in the blank with a workout or healthy food-prep.
  • mabug01
    Options

I don't like it much, but what are you going to do? It is what it is. I restart the next day. At my age I've had many disappointments and I realize the sun still shines the next day.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I am not too hard on myself, so I don't get upset about a bad weigh-in. Usually I am just relieved it wasn't worse. When I stopped losing weight for a couple months, I decided to do something that motivated me. I joined this group for the encouragment/competition, and I found a fun exercise video that focus on my weak points: my lower body & arms.
  • Marsha_S
    Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I'd be disappointed, especially if I know I'd worked hard to eat right etc, but I'd just try harder next day.
  • defygravity531
    Options
    I won't always post on Saturdays, but since I'm on here, I'll give you all a little task instead of a question:

Sit down if you're not already seated. Close your eyes and take ten (yes, ten!) deep breaths. I'm talking ten slow, FULL, DEEP, chest-filling, soul-healing breaths. As you take these ten breaths, focus on the breaths themselves. If you have other thoughts, let them pass and re-focus on your breathing. Then open your eyes and stay seated and still for a few more moments to re-accli

Ok go.

No really, do it! (I know some of you didn't!) :) It's a really great calming exercise. And the calmer you are, the better in tune with your body you will be.

REMEMBER: message me your new weight (no matter what it is!) by Sunday night and I will post results on Monday.

Happy losing!
  • defygravity531
    Options
    *** to re-acclimate to your surroundings. (apparently I didn't finish my sentence! lol)
  • mabug01
    Options
    Nice breathing exercise! I've had some amazing weight loss over the last couple of days, so I may give you a run for your money afterall!
  • roselose
    roselose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    roselose 142lbs
  • defygravity531
    Options
    THREAD OFFICIALLY CLOSED.

Look for the Week 2 thread on my profile!