Ways to make Greek yogurt more appetizing?

Options

Replies

• Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like the flavored Greek God's greek yogurts. I don't like plain greek yogurt either, unless I add some jelly - then it's tasty!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had to learn to love Greek yogurt, also, and it took some trial and error with brands to find what I liked. I dislike Chobani very much...can't even eat it. I love Tillamook and the Trader Joe's brand. I'll get Oikos in a pinch. I don't do plain--has to be flavored.

If you can't find a brand you like, there's no rule that says you have to eat Greek yogurt. There's plenty of other protein sources (eggs, meat, protein powders), you could eat also.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to eat things you don't like IMO.

However, I do love Oikos or Chobani full fat Greek yogurt (the flavored stuff!).
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like Skyr which is Icelandic not Greek but it's very high protein. low fat and comes in a variety of fruit flavours or plain. It's good on it's own and can be made even sweeter with honey. My favourite is adding fresh strawberries and blueberries and a drizzle of honey, my family gets through bowls of the stuff!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sweeten it. I'm not a fan of greek yogurt either and find it downright nasty without some type of sweetener. But there are other ways to up your protein if you don't like yogurt. Life is too short and calories are too precious to waste on something you don't enjoy IMO.

tofu, eggs, cheeses, beans, seitan, quorn, protein powders/bars, cottage cheese, nuts, powdered peanut butter.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm weird and like plain greek yogurt. I mix 1 cup of Kashi Go Lean original with it. 244 calories and ~20 g of protein!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Add something yummy to it and then freeze it.
  • stonedog1
    stonedog1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I rnjoy it with honey or stirred into tomato based sauce ie a pasta bake/ tuna veggie and rice dish etc.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    If you don't like yogurt you can also try quark, which is more cheese than yogurt, but just as creamy and with pretty much the same macros. It's way less tart than greek yogurt.
  • TbGirl92
    TbGirl92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup chopped strawberries, 2 servings almonds, med banana, and 1 cup yogurt. About 400 cals and SO filling. Fruits and somethi g crunchy are my go to
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    If you don't like yogurt you can also try quark, which is more cheese than yogurt, but just as creamy and with pretty much the same macros. It's way less tart than greek yogurt.

Love yogurt, I found Quark to be despicable. The one I tried was Elli (or something like that) salted caramel. One bite and done.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »

Love yogurt, I found Quark to be despicable. The one I tried was Elli (or something like that) salted caramel. One bite and done.

I'm pretty sure I tried the salted caramel too and hated it but the good, old fashioned strawberry worked for me. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »

Ditto.. tried several flavors too. Nope, lol.

In France I LOVED 'fromage blanc' and I really wish it was available over here. Similar stats to Greek yogurt without the tartness, and super creamy. I mean, I've found it, but in tiny expensive containers at Wegmans and it doesn't taste like the stuff I was eating over there either.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Mix a little Dijon, lemon juice and S&P into the Greek yog, let some chicken breasts take a bath in it and grill. That's my fave use for plan Greek yogurt. Other than to sub it for mayo in my Buffalo chicken salad. :p
  • Ello_Guvna14
    Ello_Guvna14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I don’t understand this on any level. There are so many other protein sources out there. Eggs, fish, beef, pork, duck, lamb, eggs, bacon, canned tuna, cottage cheese, and a billion other thing. Why would you eat one thing you hate that actually has a pretty low protein level compared to other things, not to mention, protein powder.

As I stated in the original post, I'm a pescatarian. Which rules out about 3/4 of what you mentioned. Sources are a little more limited, so I'm venturing out and trying new things. Ultimately, if I really can't stand it and nothing works, I won't eat it. I simply wanted to see other people's suggestions. Thanks!
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Since your nutritionist suggested greek yogurt, did you ask them for other alternatives? I would think nuts, seeds, beans, edamame, whole grains (many ancient grains have protein) and more fish would work better than something you don't like.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes just stir in a packet of sweet 'n low.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt is a staple in my fridge. Like most people, I eat it with berries, granola, and stevia. I use it for dips (both sweet and savory), smoothies, and also baking. Like someone else suggested, maybe try ricotta or cottage cheese instead? If you mix the cottage cheese with a hand blender (I hate the lumpy texture of cottage cheese lol) and add in some herbs/spices, it makes a great veggie dip.

Don't waste a lot of time trying to make yourself like something. Try it a handful of times and if there's no change, move on. Food is meant to be enjoyed :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, if I really can't stand it and nothing works, I won't eat it. I simply wanted to see other people's suggestions. Thanks!

i couldn't plain yogurt either, long ago. but i had this friend in university who talked me into mixing oj with buttermilk, so i leveraged that memory. it's like a slightly-tarter creamsicle. and personally, i got picky to the point where i actually wanted yogurty lumps in my juice as opposed to an even blend, but i may be strange in that way.

what got me back into plain yogurt about four years ago was actually whey protein powder. i wanted the protein for reasons i can't recall now, but i could not stand the faint barf undertone of the whey. so i started adding yogurt to kill that. then i realised something was still missing, so frozen berries came into my life.

documenting progressions like this makes me wonder if the past four years have just been a long path of self-flagellation, but actually by this point i don't even function until i have that "shake" in one hand. and fwiw, i got to where i reject greek yogurt because it's too bland and spackle-like for my tastes. do i did come around to the tang, eventually.

agree that life's too short if it really isn't doing it for you though.
  • ColinIsTheName
    ColinIsTheName Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    v2egapd3m5ta.png