Are BMI's realistic

Options
Just checked out the BMI calculator. Wondering how realistic it is. I am almost 6'4" and at 210 pounds I would be considered overweight. Are these numbers realistic? I honestly never envision myself much below 220 pounds and will be very happy when I am able to reach that goal. What do you guys think?

Replies

• skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    Doctor's (good ones) won't use BMI alone to determine obesity. There are a number of tests, including but not limited to, a test to gauge body fat % and of course an EKG test and/or heart endurance test. BMI alone is very dangerous, not only is muscle more DENSE than fat (it doesn't actually weigh more - it weighs the same, it's just that it takes up less space so can have more of it before it shows) but bones WEIGH more than anything. Thick bones = heavier bones = screwy BMI - as BMI is based off of an average body type.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think 6'4 and 220 is very realistic, and sometimes BMI isn't.

I am making my goal weight the top part of the weight range for my height, and I am going to see how I look and feel when I get there and adjust accordingly. If I went for the middle of my BMI range I'd be 145 and that is crazy - I am over 5'10, large build, and haven't weighed that since middle school.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you look in the mirror and you're happy with what you see that's all you need in my opinion!

The numbers are great to help you set goals and achieve targets but ultimately its how you feel that matters.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I was told by my trainer no. What if you have a body builder thats 5'8 and 250lbs and has a 5% body fat? BMI states that he would be obese, but he's not. It only goes by height to weight rations. The only true way to measure your fat content is to either do the caliper test or water test
  • jessdeweerdt
    Options
    It is my opinion that BMI's are not a very good judge of health.. as someone else mentioned, there are much better tests than a simple height by weight calculation. It does not take into consideration different body types or muscle mass. Everyone is different. Body's are built differently as well, which is why when we see 2 people of the same height and weight, they can look completely different. My goal weight has nothing to do with my bmi, it has more to do with the last time I felt good about myself. Once I get there, I can reevaluate where I want to be.
  • mbulz53
    mbulz53 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    BMI should stand for BULLSH*T MORON INDEX. Dont pay any attention to it. Im 5-5, 30 y/o, M. It says my target goal to be in the "healthy" range is 111-150 lbs. 111 lbs is the weight of a 15 year old school girl. Im at 162lbs right now, happy, and comfortable with my appearance. That is all that matters IMO.
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    Funny, I was just having this exact same conversation with a coworker. Her hubby came home and said that they had some sort of "Health Fair" at work, and according to his BMI, he is Obese. However, if you look at him, he is built very big (tall, very wide shoulders, huge feet, et cetera) and he is very muscular. He could maybe stand to drop a few pounds of pudge over those muscles (like, he's not totally ripped, but you can still tell that there are serious muscles there), but I just can't believe that healthwise, he is actually obese.

I think that the BMI is a good starting tool to start looking at your weight and health, but it's definitely not the final say. The final say (in my book) is how you feel, how healthy you really are (blood pressure, cholesterol, cardiovascular health, et cetera) and how you look. If all of those things are where you want them to be, then in my book, I think you have done a great thing for yourself, no matter what the BMI calculators have to say about it.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3, and the BMI charts say I would be 'very healthy' at 155lbs. I'm sure I'd look sick at that.
  • tbucks
    tbucks Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thats what I was thinking. Glad to see people have the same views. I am just going to keep going until I like where I am at, and not worry about the charts. First major goal is 250 or so, and then from there I will reevaluate my goals
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The weird thing about BMI, is that you have to look anorexic if you're a tall man, but if you're a short, middle aged woman, you can be really chunky but still healthy.

If you can lift anything heavier than the easy shopping bags (you know, the ones your wife always goes for when you're unloading the car, the ones with bread or toilet roll in) then you will definately be at least 'overweight'.
  • LosinMama2b
    Options
    If you look in the mirror and you're happy with what you see that's all you need in my opinion!

The numbers are great to help you set goals and achieve targets but ultimately its how you feel that matters.

Definitely this!!!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Same. I went to my doctor and told him my weight and my weight loss goals. He asked me how much I want to get down to. I am 5'10 and I tend to be muscular. I said I would like my end goal to be 185-190 range, as at that range I am a size 8/10 and wear a medium shirt. But I said that I know that's overweight according to the BMI chart. He said "Screw that. You would be 150 to be in the healthy category of the BMI index and you would look malnourished at that weight. You have a bigger bone structure and 185 is very healthy and realistic for you." I'm built like a dude and carry excess weight in those places so Im happy about my doctors opinion!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    People also have different bone sizes. Bone adds lean body mass also. When I was skinny I still weighed a good 15 lbs more than the next guy my height. Take one hand and and wrap it around your wrist and see if you can touch your middle finger to your thumb. If they overlap then you're small framed. If they touch then you're average. If they don't touch than you're large framed. And if you're like me and 50% neanderthal, then there's no chance your finger will touch your thumb.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seem the "Illustrated BMI Project?" It's quite enlightening! :smile:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/

((how do you create a clickable link in here??))
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    A child in England got sent home with a letter to his parents because the school nurse said his BMI put him as being overweight and that for his age, its not acceptable for a child to be overweight etc.
    The child however, was incredibly active and not 'overweight in the slightest. Because of his activity level, his muscle density must have been quite high, which accounted for extra weight I guess.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    For muscular men, probably not. For women, probably yes.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Same. I went to my doctor and told him my weight and my weight loss goals. He asked me how much I want to get down to. I am 5'10 and I tend to be muscular. I said I would like my end goal to be 185-190 range, as at that range I am a size 8/10 and wear a medium shirt. But I said that I know that's overweight according to the BMI chart. He said "Screw that. You would be 150 to be in the healthy category of the BMI index and you would look malnourished at that weight. You have a bigger bone structure and 185 is very healthy and realistic for you." I'm built like a dude and carry excess weight in those places so Im happy about my doctors opinion!

Looks like we're in the same boat. I bet our ancestors were too when they were raiding nearby villiages :P
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    A child in England got sent home with a letter to his parents because the school nurse said his BMI put him as being overweight and that for his age, its not acceptable for a child to be overweight etc.
    The child however, was incredibly active and not 'overweight in the slightest. Because of his activity level, his muscle density must have been quite high, which accounted for extra weight I guess.

This happened to my youngest at 8 when quite frankly he looks like a mini me fitness model.
  • hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    BMI should stand for BULLSH*T MORON INDEX.

<---likes this
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think BMI and waist circumference together give a pretty good indication.