Why does strength training not count for calorie consumption

Options
I'm sure this has been asked many times before but my main exercise is weights with only light cardio, yet this doesn't count towards my exercise calories and it's very hard to stay within my calorie limit while doing an hour's worth of free weights. I'm entering my strength training workouts but not getting anything for it.

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    There is a listing for strength training (or weight training) in the cardio section that will allow you to add calories for that (not too acurately, I wouldn't think).
  • moderntimes
    Options
    I assumed that would be done for you, like the cardio
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM? If so maybe you could enter the calories you burned from the HRM under cardio?
  • moderntimes
    Options
    No. Tried a bunch of them, I'm one of a minority that finds it very difficult to get a reading for some reason. It can take up to a minute and a haff to get a reading, and sometimes it just gives up. . Both the chest band type and the finger on the watch kind.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The strength training portion is more for your use as a log. I think MFP would rather not try to calc calories for you from strength training because what that means varies quite a bit from person to person so strength training for 30 minutes is not as easy to accurately calc as something a bit more concrete like "walking 3.5 mph" for 30 minutes. Even with the cardio, they're usually overestimated. Just log your time as strength training in the cardio section and if you want use the strength training session to keep track of what you did, or just use the notes if that's easier.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Did you try putting some water or better still some lubricating jelly on the area of the chest strap where it reads the heart rate, then it should pick up your heart rate with no problems
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Although you burn calories from strength training, that number is going to vary widely from person to person. It will depend on how much weight you are using, how many sets/reps you are doing, how much rest you take in between sets and how hard you are working. Therefore any estimates would not be reliable.

I dont count my strength training calories burned. Just consider this to be an extra bonus to your weekly goals!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i log it as 'Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort'
  • moderntimes
    Options
    Yes, I tried water but it didn't work at all.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You need a better brand of hrm then. I wear one and burn at least 300 cals during my strength work outs (I bust my hump though).
  • moderntimes
    Options
    I've tried several, but none work on me. I bought a Polar, took it back because it wasn't working, got a replacement, that didn't work. Tried the ones at my gym, they didn't work, then went for the Mio watch one, didn't work.