Embarrassing Excess Skin Question

Options
Hello! I've tried searching the posts and have asked Dr. Google but most answers are almost a decade old at this point, so here goes:
I'm down almost 50 pounds and even though I'm losing very slowly, things aren't... tightening up as much as I'd like. That's to be expected. However, some areas are starting to get somewhat itchy, aren't staying super dry, and at times just aren't... the freshest.

Baby powder and corn starch aren't doing it for me. The powder just kind of clumps up. Have you found anything that works for you to keep things... daisy fresh?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    After shower dry with blow dryer maybe.
    Check with doctor about whether it is yeast and whether anti-fungals could help.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use deodorant on overlapping skin. It's not ideal but better than a yeast infection, which is what it sounds like you might have. You can try Gold Bond powder or ask your doctor for medicated powder until it's healed.

Deodorant has worked for me in the past too. A solid, not a gel.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use a Gold Bond stick. It's packaged like deodorant and is applied the same way. It helps with chaffing and does a great job between folds. I'm not sure exactly what areas you're asking about, so use this suggestion as you can.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need an antifungal powder like nystatin which you need a prescription for...you could try an OTC antifungal powder but may want to mention it to the dr...
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Sent you a message.
  • janalo55
    janalo55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use an ointment instead of powder. It protects the skin from moisture. All powders ever do for me is clump when the moisture hits them. If the place feels sore or maybe infected, I may use a triple antibiotic ointment, which takes care of it every time, but to keep on top of it, just some vaseline works. I had someone tell me you aren't supposed to use deodorant anywhere but underarms and that it says so on the product. I checked. Mine (Degree) does not. In the store, I found that some do. I do not know the reasoning, but if you have a rash or any broken skin in the area, don't use deodorant on it. OUCH! I have used deodorant under boobs and apron and even on my feet (to avoid stinky feet, not because of weight loss.)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Fresh Balls/Breasts - my runner friends swear by it for chaffing and odor control, I would imagine the biology is the same for excess skin.

And hang in there, give it a couple years, it may get better given more time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My nurse confirmed that corn starch and baby powder are abrasives and make the problem worse.

After you get the area clean and dry try this product:
    https://www.bodyglide.com

Yes, this!! Talc baby powders are the worst for this type of thing!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Try Canesten cream if you are getting a bacterial/yeast infection in the folds.
    It is an OTC cream for vaginal yeast infections, but is really effective for skin folds too.

My travel doc advised me to take some with me when I was going to India, just as a precaution. I was so glad I did, all that heat and humidity was a breeding ground for all kinds of bacteria/fungus.

Cheers, h.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I use deodorant/ antiperspirant as stated before between the folds.. works wonders and smells great
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    When I would get a rash under my belly flap, I'd use a surgical wash on it in the shower (Walgreens generic for Hibiclens), then dry, apply diaper rash cream, then tuck some folded tp under it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Third vote for Body Glide. I use it to prevent chafing from snug fitting clothes (i.e., sports bra) during summer runs. Completely mess-free, can't tell you're wearing it, and it works perfectly.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Thanks you guys! It's mostly the apron and belly button that are giving me trouble. Still hoping that the apron goes away as I lose more but the belly button is definitely the biggest problem. I do have a doc appt scheduled but it's not until after the holidays.

I use the antiperspirant on my apron -99lbs mine isnt going anywhere
  • mroloff
    mroloff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost ~135 pounds and have similar issues, primarily with my stomach and upper arms/armpits and mostly where I have significant stretch marks. Definitely would recommend seeing a doctor. Mine gave me a prescription antifungal cream and it helped, especially in the summer. I’m within 40 pounds of my goal and based on where things are now, short of a miracle occurring in this last bit, my skin issues aren’t going to resolve. I’m operating under the assumption I’ll have skin removal surgery eventually. That’s a ways off for financial reasons so who knows, maybe things will improve on their own with time, but that’s where I suspect things are headed.
  • jen3frg22
    jen3frg22 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    After I exercise I make sure to clean the area really well and let it dry out. Then I use hydrogen peroxide on the area.