Runner trying to get stronger - can I still work on losing some more?

I have been slowly rehabilitating from two separate injuries over the past 9 months and trying to get back to running long distances (marathon+). I am finally at a point where I am running longer mileage (14 mi), and I want to invest some energy in getting stronger (glutes, hips, calves, etc.) to help prevent further injury. I have a plan for that.

I have lost about 25 pounds in the last 6 months and am also currently about 8 lbs over my ideal (for now) running weight. I'd like to lose that if possible before my race season starts (March) and ideally get my body fat down into the 21% range (currently around 26% according to my scale, which I realize isn't accurate, but think it is in the right ballpark based on photos).

Can I try to lose and do the strengthening at the same time in off season or should I somehow try to stagger them (not sure I have time to do both)? I feel like the strengthening has priority right now over weight loss but my body fat is MUCH higher than the "bulk" folks in the weightlifting crowd. I don't care about definition/appearance at this point, just interested in performance as it translates into my running. I am not sure which one (dieting or strengthening) would be "worse" to be still working on as the racing season begins or whether trying to do both at once would be most efficient.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Definitely add in strength training - full body 3 x a week during off season and the 2x when you ramp up the running.

Set your deficit to 0.5lb per week.

You don't have to bulk to increase strength.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    hjeppley wrote: »
    Can I try to lose and do the strengthening at the same time in off season or should I somehow try to stagger them (not sure I have time to do both)? I feel like the strengthening has priority right now over weight loss but my body fat is MUCH higher than the "bulk" folks in the weightlifting crowd. I don't care about definition/appearance at this point, just interested in performance as it translates into my running. I am not sure which one (dieting or strengthening) would be "worse" to be still working on as the racing season begins or whether trying to do both at once would be most efficient.

I pursued a somewhat similar goal last spring during my recovery from leg issues that cropped up during winter marathon training. My plan was to balance weight loss with increased training volume leading up to a half iron distance triathlon in June. This included strength work as a necessary training component, since triathlon training places a significant load on the posterior chain muscle groups.

Like you, my goal was performance improvement. Specifically, I was looking to drop 10-12lbs as a way to improve my climbing ability on the bike and also my run speed for the half marathon run split. Working with a registered dietician (who is also a professional bodybuilder) we put together an eating plan that provided enough calories to fuel my heavy training load (9 workouts/week) while also driving weight loss over the 3 month time period. The RD also spoke with my tri coach to agree on my calorie needs DURING extended cardio work (2-4 hr bike and run sessions) to be sure I didn't bonk during long runs, etc.

Finally, during this time, my personal trainer modified my strength work to focus almost solely on the strength movements needed by endurance athletes (swim/bike/run strength and balance work).

The result of this plan was that between March 10 and June 6th of last year, I lost 16lbs and realized a significant increase in run speed and overall stamina, while putting in an average of 10-13hrs of training per week.

So my experience suggests that it is certainly possible to lose the weight while doing a significant amount of either strength and/or cardio work. The key is to match your food intake to mimic your exercise expenditure. That way, you'll have enough fuel to support your training load, while also driving fat loss. Its a balancing act, but it is doable.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions and inspiration @Djproulx and @TavistockToad! I think the bottom line is that I need to start logging my food very carefully going forward (I've lapsed on that since I got close to my goal weight) if I want to accomplish this. I am already up to about 30 miles a week (I have one night trail half marathon in a month) and plan on increasing that over the next few months. At least until after my hilly 50K in March (hopefully) I am not going to focus on speed workouts at all--just building strength and base. After that I have some shorter distances, and I hope to recover and work on getting in some quality workouts and maintaining strength going forward. Up to this point I haven't worried too much about fueling during my runs --I am not really up to bonk length runs yet, but those are coming very soon! I have been really good about recovery nutrition though following those half marathon length efforts.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I think your focus on logging will be key. When I followed the plan 100% and consumed the exact amounts I was to eat, I dropped weight consistently. Any deviations(extra calories) would cause my weight to stall, since I was consuming plenty of calories to fuel my training sessions. The other thing that helped was to separate my leg strength workouts from any heavy run days, whether on the track or long distance efforts. So I usually did strength work on my "easy" bike or swim days.

Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck.
  • hjeppley
    Thanks! I'll try to report back! I think that separation of leg strength is a good strategy. I've started doing squats and lunges the last couple of days and my legs are shredded after a 7 miler yesterday and an 11 miler today. Hopefully will improve with time. :smile:
  • HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    After several years of always working toward a race, I decided to spend this winter to fuel & workout for weight loss rather than performance & endurance. And then, I signed up for another race. Thus, I am now in the position of trying to do what I thought was impossible.

This fall, I took two seven-week sessions of core training at my club. It helped me establish a routine of doing strength training - something I've never managed to do. I've reduced my baseline calorie budget by five hundred calories a day, and I've strictly limited highly refined carbohydrates. (Except during long runs - I love Annie's Cheddar Bunnies and I think they're the perfect workout fuel.)

It's working pretty well so far. I re-tweaked my knee that has some damaged cartilage in it, so I think I'm going to have to walk the race I'm training for. (Thankfully, it's flat.) I really want to get to a decent race weight, and that's only going to happen if I pay as much attention to the fuel end of it as I do to the training part.

Which 50K are you doing in March? There's one in my area that I attempted this past March (my first DNF!); I'll be volunteering there in 2018.
  • hjeppley
    @HillSlug98239 I think a routine is what I really need for strength. It is always the first thing to go when I get tired or time crunched, so I think establishing a good habit of flexibility and strength here when I get started is going to be key for me.

I have also been strictly limiting refined carbohydrates (and that was the big reason I was able to lose 25 pounds so far), but you are right the cheddar bunnies/cheez-it type things are the bomb on a long run. :smile:

I think I am doing the OP 50/50 in the middle of nowhere Indiana. It is a pretty small race, but it looks like it will be a great challenge! I did one other 50K 3.5 years ago (that one was flat), but I have done a hilly trail marathon in mud and ice so I think I can get adequately trained for it assuming I stay healthy.