Losing weight after 55...is it possible?

Options
Hello...I have been on every diet imaginable but always fail miserably. I never notice that something is working for 2 - 3 weeks and then by that time, I've given up and can't get motivated again. Any suggestions for a female over 55????

Replies

• brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You have to make up your mind and do it !
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough you WILL learn to change what you are doing and start doing the things that will take the weight off. True at 35 ~ 45 ~ 55!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You do have to be committed but that will be easier if you aren't alone. You can have virtual friends on here and maybe get a couple friends or family members who are in this with you. I know that even when I'm terribly frustrated it helps that I have friends on here and one close friend who is in this with me. It helps if you can do it with a sense of humor because its probably not going to be a smooth ride. I know mine isn't.
  • YoungGma29
    Options
    As a person who is rapidly reaching 55, I can say that yes it IS possible. Losing weight for those of us with a lot to lose is always difficult anyway. Motivation is tough to keep up. AND the older we get the harder it is to lose. My DR had told me that a long time ago and of course I didn't listen. So here I am. I have been using mfp since the beginning of June and have lost 11 lbs so far. Yes I have a whole lot more to go, but this is the best I have done in a long time. I'll take this small triumph. Just try to stick with it. You can't think of it as a diet because you will fail every time. It needs to be a permanent eating change. Think of it as eating healthier and it will get easier. Adding friends helps because you have someone else's success to keep you motivated. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. :flowerforyou:
  • mrmurfman
    Options
    http://vitality.yahoo.com/video-second-act-diana-nyad-25925304

i watch this video when i get in a slump. if this gal can do what she is doing the sky is the limit for anyone who wants it. :wink:
  • Wisawobby
    Options
    I'm 52 and it is definitely harder to lose weight as you age. I'm reading "YOU on a Diet" and I think it is really helping me to understand what is going on in my body also MFP is great with all the information and the support! Try some new veggies when you go to the store, make your new way of life an adventure. I think we get bored (and hungry) when on most diets so we fail. Make yourself believe there is no such thing as failure in this new adventure you are on.

Find members that are in your age group and going through the same thing. Here's to MFP friends!
  • striderb
    striderb Posts: 5,843 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and have lost 30 some pounds since Feb and about 25 or so since being on MFP. Stop worrying about "diets" and simply burn more than you take in. Doesn't have to be fast and you don't have to exercise every day just try to be steady about it.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    It's possible at any age. In fact, I would say that age matters less than motivation. Some things you have to understand about this stuff is that you're not always going to lose. You're going to plateau. Some days you won't want to do it anymore.

BUT.....

When you do lose it will feel awesome. Breaking out of a plateau is so motivating. Once you do see results you'll go harder.

You can really do it. You just have to realize that you can.
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My mom is in her 60's and she's been able to lose 14 lbs in the past 3 months or so. For her it seems to help to have people to keep her on track. If I see her starting to buy unhealthy things again, I will wait and see if it's a pattern. I usually say, you still on board? It also helps me too to have several people in my life know what I'm working on and holding me accountable. So maybe you do or can talk with people you know about it?

Since I can't see your diary, I would suggest making sure you eat several small meals throughout the day to keep you full, rather than one big meal. It has helped me tremendously with my snacking. Also, planning food the night before helps, because you know where the limitations are and you're less likely to overeat.

Third, don't give up a healthy lifestyle even if you aren't seeing a change. It took me almost a month to lose a 1 lb. Now I'm starting on my third month and it's coming off more regularly. You just have to trust being active and eating right will help and not give up.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    http://vitality.yahoo.com/video-second-act-diana-nyad-25925304

i watch this video when i get in a slump. if this gal can do what she is doing the sky is the limit for anyone who wants it. :wink:

OMG she dose not look 61!!!!