Benefits of walking vs. jogging?

Options
I am in awe of all the people on MFP who are avid joggers and marathon runners. You are all very inspiring.

I am not a runner, never have been. Proven again this morning when I tried jogging and it turned into a jog/walk interval and I only lasted 30 minutes. For some reason, I have no problem doing an hour of high impact cardio or aerobics. It's just jogging that I have trouble with.

I much prefer walking. When I walk, I go at a brisk pace anywhere between 3 and 5 miles at a time. My walks usually last between 60-80 minutes, 3-5 times a week. I enjoy this time spent outdoors and love being able to chat with my son as I push him in his stroller.

My question is ... Will walking help me get fit and lose weight? Have any MFPers lost weight from walking? I really appreciate any insight.

Thanks

Replies

• apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    They say it's estimated that you burn 100 calories per mile, regardless of how long it takes! However at your low weight you are probably closer to about 80 calories per mile. And walking is better than sitting :)
  • StanMcCullars
    Options
    I'm down 16 pounds since May 7th and have been mostly walking six days a week. I'll substitute a bike ride once or twice a week.

Anyone that tells you you can't lose weight, or lose it efficiently, walking is full of it. Pure and simple.

Enjoy the time with your son! You'll both be better for the experience.
  • StanMcCullars
    Options
    Another benefit of walking (vs jogging) I thought of...

You don't hear walkers discussing injuries near as often as joggers.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Keep running until you get better at it.

'I can't ride a unicycle, proven again by yesterdays attempt. It must be like my fifth try.'

You won't get better without practise, and you won't change without change.

If it's something you can do for an hour, it's not high impact. That's why jogging is still hard.

Keep up the intervals, aim for faster times over the same distance, or further in the same time.

Don't be put off by people gloating about long workouts, the chances are that they are mincing about for two hours and just wasting everyone's time.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    They say it's estimated that you burn 100 calories per mile, regardless of how long it takes! However at your low weight you are probably closer to about 80 calories per mile. And walking is better than sitting :)

I've heard this several times too. However, since it's against the most basic laws of physics, I've always disregarded it.
  • dc_amaryllis
    dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Awesome points everyone. Thanks for your insight.