Vegans!

Options
I'd like to get more vegan friends. Like I've said on some comments I'm not actually vegan but my boyfriend is, but I find myself always looking for the vegan options. Today's whole foods trip was all vegan foods

Replies

• allieriojas
    allieriojas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! I’m vegetarian, but I’m working on becoming 100% vegan. Feel free to add me!
  • serpentinetales
    serpentinetales Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am working on being a vegan at least at home. A lot of our meals ARE vegan and most are vegetarian. We don’t do much dairy but I find eggs the hardest to give up especially when eating out. I am definitely in need of easy recipes!
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I’m doing the vegan thing too
  • KatyRu
    KatyRu Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan. :smile:
  • saralynnmiller
    saralynnmiller Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan! :)
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Now that the holidays are over and I can decline food without feeling like a jerk ("Look! I made this [cheese incrusted and filled] dish just for you! No meat!") I will be ditching the last of the dairy and going vegan. I've been vegetarian for two years, and ate mostly vegan most of the time.
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I’m vegan
  • pathofresistance81
    pathofresistance81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am vegan have been for ten years transitioning to fruitarian. Please feel free to add me.
  • Stitched84
    Stitched84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    2 and a half year vegan here. Stopped eating meat aged 12 after watching factory farming videos at school. Was veggie for around 19 years until realised the dairy industry was just as bad if not worse. I'm on a mission to stop eat vegan junk food (freezer food) and loose 50lbs this year.
  • Chapmanwife
    Chapmanwife Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan but cooking a lot from a vegan cookbook since the recipes meet most of my diet restrictions and health needs. Really enjoying, Oh She Glows! Cookbook. Its a pretty healthy way to eat!
  • ShelbyLynnMFP
    ShelbyLynnMFP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m vegan! I eat a plant-based diet and was vegetarian for five years before that. Feel free to add me!
  • itsfitnessnotrocketscience
    itsfitnessnotrocketscience Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I’m a vegetarian, vegan at home, transitioning to full veganism over the next couple months! Happy to connect
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of...well I don't know what to call it actually lol. I am not about to throw out my expensive leather jacket so I guess I can't call myself vegan. However I am not eating meat, dairy or eggs.

This week's meal prep for example....

Breakfast - smashed avocado toast and smoothie with frozen berries, banana, kale, almond milk and A tbsp of the Qia chia, buckwheat and hemp cereal.

Lunch - Thai coconut curry soup (with lentils, red bell pepper, leeks, etc).

Dinner - "Mexican bowl" with spinach, brown rice, black beans, red onion, corn, salsa and cilantro

For snacks I made some cookies with banana, oats, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, dairy free dark chocolate and vanilla. Another snack is rice cakes with red pepper hummus and whatever veggie on top. Olives or shredded carrot or cucumber. With some raspberries.

I noticed so far I'm eating less protein, more carbs and way more fibre. Those are the biggest differences I saw. I'm going to stick with it for at least one month and see how my body feels.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cdkelly wrote: »
    I'm on day 3 of...well I don't know what to call it actually lol. I am not about to throw out my expensive leather jacket so I guess I can't call myself vegan. However I am not eating meat, dairy or eggs.

This week's meal prep for example....

Breakfast - smashed avocado toast and smoothie with frozen berries, banana, kale, almond milk and A tbsp of the Qia chia, buckwheat and hemp cereal.

Lunch - Thai coconut curry soup (with lentils, red bell pepper, leeks, etc).

Dinner - "Mexican bowl" with spinach, brown rice, black beans, red onion, corn, salsa and cilantro

For snacks I made some cookies with banana, oats, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, dairy free dark chocolate and vanilla. Another snack is rice cakes with red pepper hummus and whatever veggie on top. Olives or shredded carrot or cucumber. With some raspberries.

I noticed so far I'm eating less protein, more carbs and way more fibre. Those are the biggest differences I saw. I'm going to stick with it for at least one month and see how my body feels.

Many vegans use up clothing/household items made with animal products that were pre-vegan purchases and simply decide to make all new purchases vegan. There's no "extra credit" for throwing out a jacket or belt that you have already purchased.

I myself wore a leather watchband and some leather shoes for a few years after going vegan (until I found new homes for them because I became uncomfortable wearing leather).
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    im vegan willing to help anyone trying to be more veg :)
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    janejellyroll - that makes a lot of sense. Damage is already done for things I've already purchased I guess. I will try my best to purchase vegan products going forward.

I'm going to my dr this week to get blood work and everything done as I'm just starting out and then will go again in a couple months or something to see how my body is reacting. Hopefully improving!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Regarding using/wearing animal products you owned pre-vegan, I always think it is dishonoring the life of the animal that died for that thing, whatever it may be, if we throw that stuff away and waste it. Far better for it to live out its usefulness. If it makes you uncomfortable, donate it or rehome.
  • littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I am transitioning to vegan. You can add me
  • Figuredat
    Figuredat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I’ve been vegan since June. Initially I didn’t even consider leather coats, couches and bags. Now I do feel aweful but wish not to part with these items as of yet.

• elizabethpittman80
    elizabethpittman80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just started vegan today. Feel free to add me. Knowing others are looking at my diary really helps me stay on track!