Exercises for Posture???

Options
Hi MFP Friends,

Does anyone know of any exercises that can help with my posture?

I slouch my shoulders, a lot. I'm pretty short, and that doesn't help.
Every time I think about it, I try to self correct, however, I believe there may be more I can do to help.
I've been working out at the YMCA trying to use the resistance/weight machines. Is there a specific machine that could help? I've been trying to work the deltoids.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• mehapp
    mehapp Posts: 132
    Options
    Hi MFP Friends,

Does anyone know of any exercises that can help with my posture?

I slouch my shoulders, a lot. I'm pretty short, and that doesn't help.
    Every time I think about it, I try to self correct, however, I believe there may be more I can do to help.
    I've been working out at the YMCA trying to use the resistance/weight machines. Is there a specific machine that could help? I've been trying to work the deltoids.

Any suggestions?
  • renayeb
    renayeb Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so I will wait for an answer with you. I have found that using special bras or a good backbrace really help. I back is so back that I need the backbrace that weightlifters use.:flowerforyou:
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    One of the things I do is hold 5lb dumbells in each hand and then, let my hands hang to the side while I rotate my shoulders backwards. 3 sets of ten.

The other is I do Core Secrets. Weightlifting/workout/conditioning all using the exercise ball. It's very good b/c it's emphasis is on the core/trunk while building strength in upper and lower body.

Makes me sit straigter, stand straigter and pulls me up.:happy:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    yoga and pilates it builds strength and lengthens you.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you are slouching a lot, it's generally a sign of weak abdominals and rhomboids. Your rhomboids are located in your back sort of between your shoulder blades. Your trapezius muscles are back there too, and span your entire back. To strengthen these muscles, perform shrugging and rowing exercises. However, I don't recommend ever rolling your shoulders. It creates a lot of friction in the joint which is already very unstable, and doesn't increase deltoid strength. Rows will help strengthen your posterior deltoids. Be sure to stretch your chest and anterior deltoids to prevent tightness there. Perform stability exercises for your abdominals. They are made to hold you up, not to crunch. Standard and side planks will increase the muscular endurance and strength there to increase the time you can sit or stand up straight.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin thanks for the ideas gang:flowerforyou: ahh and wise sbs...thank you as well:wink:
  • Akdfitness
    Options
    As a Personal Trainer I recommend doing Lateral pull downs and seated rows (try 40pounds).
    If you don't have access to equipment, then try single arm rows with a dumbbell or bent over rows with 2 dumbbells. Best weight, reps, and set? For sculpting and toning select a medium to light weight (try 8pounds). You should be able to do 15 to 20 reps with the last 2-3 reps being challenging - then you know you have chosen the right weight. If all 20 reps are a breeze than you need to take it up a notch.

Try 3 sets of 20 reps.
  • mehapp
    mehapp Posts: 132
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Thanks All!

I'm off to the YMCA
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    While the strength exercises are great, they won't solve the problem if there is tightness in the shoulders. You will have to increase flexibility in the shoulders, chest and back.
    I'm a yoga freak, so here are the poses I suggest:

downward dog - can't do too many of these
    downward dog on the forearms (push the shoulders behind the elbows if possible)
    superman (salabhasana or locust pose)
    cobra pose (don't let your shoulders hunch - don't push up too far, keep the elbows bent)
    bridge
    triangle
    side plank
    supported shoulder stand (don't do this if you are not familiar with yoga)
    eagle pose - the arm part of this pose

Good luck!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    the only thing fixed my posture was taking up bellydance. and this only worked because my instructor was constanly correcting me! maybe try a dance class at your ymca and see if that helps too...
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy posture exercise I learned while I was a musician:

Stand against a wall.

No, really. Stand against a wall, and make sure that the backs of your legs - your calves, your thighs, your butt - and your whole back, and your head are ALL touching the wall.

Feels funny, doesn't it?

THAT is standing up straight. Do it for 30 seconds to a minute several times throughout the day, and try to hold that stretched out feeling when you walk away from the wall.