Omega 3s help

Options
Alright, disclaimer: My body is freaky weird.

I need advice on what things I should eat/take to help me get my Omega 3s in.

BUT I AM ALLERGIC TO EVERYTHING! Either it is a skin allergy that makes me break out into horrible cystic acne all over, or a real allergy that makes me go to the hospital.

Heres what I can't eat:

All forms of nuts and their oils/butters/milks
Most seeds including sesame and their oils
Whole wheat and wheat germ
Brown rice (its the germ)
Flax seed/oil
Large amounts of vegetable or canola oil
AND SEAFOOD WILL KILL ME.

I can eat salmon and canned tuna (which is odd) but I'm pretty burned out on tuna. I do use EVOO when I cook, but thats about it.

So what do you think? Where can I get my Omega 3s?

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Are you allergic to the fish oil supplements?
  • eed_bookworm
    Options
    Well -- you can try beans, winter squash, and olive oil.

Here's an excerpt from a website:
    One cup's worth of soybeans, navy beans, or kidney beans provides between 200 and 1,000 milligrams of omega-3s (0.2 to 1.0 grams). A four-ounce serving of tofu will provide about 0.4 grams of omega-3s. Therefore, these foods provide between 10% and 50% of the National Institutes of Health recommendation, and a substantial step up from the average U.S. adult intake. A cup of this winter squash will provide you approximately 0.3 grams. For extra virgin olive oil, the amount of omega 3s per ounce is about 0.2 grams.

Here's the link: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=75

You should have no trouble getting your omega-3s.
    Good luck!
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sardines, Halibut, Snapper, Scallops, Raw Tofu, Soybeans...
  • roxiefoxx
    roxiefoxx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    oily fish would have been the best choice, but I wouldn't risk it if you are terribly allergic to them. (salmon is a good choice, herrings, tuna, and swordfish). black raspberries are good as well and natural eggs (not corn/soy fed hens).
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Options
    Crap...I put a lot of seafood in there...wonder if you can tolerate canned salmon and tuna if sardines would be okay though?
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    one of the best source of Omega 3's is a liquid Fish Oil Supplement, however you will need to do an allergy test in your case to see if this falls in line with you being able to eat Salmon and Tuna, or if it falls under your Seafood Allergy category.

Considering your seafood allergy, it may be more ideal for you to look into an Algae supplement which might fit into your body chemisty (again, I would suggest an allergy test first).

Check out the following article for more specific details: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-algae
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Options
    Oh! Black beans --> you can make black bean soup. And with onion, garlic, a little cayenne pepper it is a super heart healthy/diabetic friendly food. Both risk factors when one is deficient in Omega 3s...