Vacation planning

Options
This is a totally first world problem, but we travel so frequently, I need a better plan for when we are out of town. I’m usually a breakfast skipper, and then eat my meals from 12pm - 10pm, but when we are traveling I often eat breakfast with everyone else and go over on calories. Of course, kids need to eat frequently, but I certainly don’t. Low willpower when out of routine. And no food scale. Maybe I should practice guesstimating weights? What would you do? I often have a room with a small kitchen or st least a fridge and sometimes a kitchenette.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm having fun and being buzy, I don't have time or desire to graze, and just eating meals has never caused any weight problems.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i travel a bit for military reserve duty - in the end, it comes down to deciding do you want to have fun or do you want to hit your goals - if its only a sporadic trip, then i'm ok with being more relaxed; if its frequently/periodic - then i figure out ways to hit my goals with limited hotel room supplies (i.e. bags of steamed vegetables; ziploc steam bags for cooking protein etc)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    What do you think you can do when you have a room with a small kitchen or at least a fridge and sometimes a kitchenette? Hmmmm.
    When at home and near a scale, learn to judge your weighed portion against the size of your hand, finger, and/or fist. This helps you practice portion control even when you can't weigh food. Generally I eat only half of most restaurant meals and take out, share, or leave behind the calories I don't need. I also limit the quantity of potatoes, pasta, and alcohol consumed to help save on calories. Substitute a salad or veggies for higher calorie sides, even if costs a couple dollars more. Desserts are not daily and often shared. The only thing I won't share is chocolate mousse.
    It's ok to eat breakfast with the family, but that doesn't mean you have to eat 3 eggs, 2-4 pancakes, and 2-3 cups of potatoes, which is common restaurant fare and probably exceeds needed calories for the whole day.
    Maybe order a la carte such as an egg and some fruit.
    Happy travels!

PS You can do an MFP search for vacation or travel or eating out. There are always lots of threads on this topic with helpful tips.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=1&search=&title=travel+vacation+restaurant&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    What about having the hubs take the kiddos to breakfast while you hit the gym, trails, etc? Gives him some alone tie wth the kids and you can skip breakfast AND build in a little wiggle room for calories.
  • 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    What about having the hubs take the kiddos to breakfast while you hit the gym, trails, etc? Gives him some alone tie wth the kids and you can skip breakfast AND build in a little wiggle room for calories.

That is a great idea! Why didn’t I think of this??? I love it. I’m going to actually schedule this on the calendar. Our third vacation in as many months is in just three weeks, so that’s that’s why I’m already planning now so I can enjoy it and not stress.
  • 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I saw on the other threads (lorrpb posted) that some people brought a little cup or food scale with them when they travel. I have never dared to do that, but I think it would actually be helpful because it would eliminate the worry of not knowing amounts. Since we are traveling so much—I think we are going to be away a couple of months next year—I want to have a strategy. It’s a blessing to travel but I can’t overeat my way through vacations, and I have a healthy appetite and enjoy rich food—butter, steak, crispy things fried in oil—in moderation if I can measure it. The only time I unintentionally lost weight was in Africa when the food was prepared roadside and was pretty unappetizing—think grasshoppers, goat meat and food grilled on tools that were washed in a ditch behind a shack. No toilets or running water. Yeah, I wasn’t too hungry then and just powered through on as few bites as possible. Thankfully i didn’t experience any GI issues!