Making the indoor trainer bearable

I've set some ambitious plans for myself this coming year on my bike, and to accomplish them, I need to suck it up and pedal my bike on the trainer on a consistent basis (I'm a bit of a fair weather rider, but I also am limited, due to work and other obligations, on daylight hours to ride this time of year). I'm looking for tips to make it more bearable, both from the boredom stand point, but also comfort. I've always gotten painfully bored on the trainer! I also find pedaling on the trainer pretty uncomfortable, I think because I am so static in my position (my bike fits me very well and I've gone through several pro performance fittings to ensure that). Are there any resources for drills, maybe, that can get me in and out of the saddle, which I think may help? Or any tips on getting the trainer set up for more comfortable boring pedaling?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Comfort:
    • Good quality cycling shorts.
    • Experiment with different saddles (the standard ones on indoor trainers tend to be awful - not unisex, more like no sex ever again....).
    • Chamois cream.
    • Do standing cycling intervals for saddle relief. (15 secs every 10 mins or 30 secs every 20 mins for example).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Are you riding your own bike on a trainer? If so fit shouldn't be an issue.

I agree though, that winter training can be boring, that's one of the reasons that I do a weekly group session on spinning bikes with my tri club and then use videos like Spinervals or some of the freebie on youtube for riding at home (interval rides are more tolerable than the long, low intensity ones....for those I just put on a good movie and suffer through it)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    what are you doing for training -are you just pedaling for a set period of time or are you mixing it up?

personally, I like trainerroad - its a computer program that uses virtual power for tailored training; others enjoy ZWift (almost like a video game by for cyclists).

if you don't want to go that route - i do what is called my bike trainer drinking game work out:
    1) pick a TV show you want to watch for the duration of your workout
    2) google TV show name/drinking game
    3) where it says take a sip, do 1 min high cadence, if it says chug - go big gear, low cadence - it mixes things up while making it interesting at the same time
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    edited December 2017
    Personally, I need a slightly wider saddle when I'm on my trainer.

I also have aerobars on my trainer bicycle ... they give me some additional positions in which I can sit.

And then I do commercial intervals. I choose a TV show I like, and pedal easy/moderately through the show, then when the commercials come on, I pedal as hard as I can for the duration of the commercial. Then back to easy/moderate during the show. 30-60 minutes can pass in no time.

I also go to spinning classes once a week or so ... if you get into a good spinning class, they can be a great workout!
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    I found that I lowered my saddle by a tiny bit on my trainer so that sitting up is confortable. I also have a more padded one than what I would use on my road or track bikes.
    A fan was good for comfort as well as overheating can increase your heart rate and make things horrible after a while.

I used to watch shows as well but I have joined Zwift now and loving it. Not only does it distracts you with the visuals but they are work outs, 6weeks / 12weeks plans, races, group spins, etc.

Drawback? It's $15 /month.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    what are you doing for training -are you just pedaling for a set period of time or are you mixing it up?

personally, I like trainerroad - its a computer program that uses virtual power for tailored training; others enjoy ZWift (almost like a video game by for cyclists).

if you don't want to go that route - i do what is called my bike trainer drinking game work out:
    1) pick a TV show you want to watch for the duration of your workout
    2) google TV show name/drinking game
    3) where it says take a sip, do 1 min high cadence, if it says chug - go big gear, low cadence - it mixes things up while making it interesting at the same time

Honestly, I've always been a complete failure at using my trainer consistently. It usually ends up being a rack for my bike most of the winter! But I like the drinking game idea. It may help with the boredom AND the discomfort factor.

I also thinking lowering the seat is a good and easy thing to try. I don't want to buy a bunch of new components just for pedaling on the trainer, since it is my road bike, but lowering the seat is simple and worth a shot.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Increase the resistance and you'll be more likely to stand up.
  • jocan11112017
    jocan11112017 Posts: 21 Member
    Once I got the proper riser for my front wheel I was more comfortable riding on the trainer. Practice also makes it physically better. I watch Netflix and have signed up for Trainer Road. The workouts are all there on my phone. Good luck