Intermittent Fasting

Options
Just wondering if anybody out there is intermittent fasting and if so hows it going?

Replies

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yeah. Not going so great at the moment. When it was going well, it was going really well. I need to stop nibbling on Christmas leftovers and snacks lying around and get back into it!
  • CaraMerced
    CaraMerced Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i intermittent fast everyday and I love it. I eat my first meal at 1 and make sure i eat dinner by 6 pm.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It's going great as that's how I naturally tend to eat. I'm not pedantic about it though, as it doesn't make any difference to whether I achieve my goals or not...
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    I do IF 19/5, going great. Thanks
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I love it. I've started a month ago and lost 10 lbs since then which is breaking a long plateau for me.. (note before I get woo'd - I wasn't losing cause I wasn't tracking tightly) I find it easier to follow personally. Currently doing 17:7 or 18:6 depending on the day.
  • hoopshobbs
    hoopshobbs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 16/8 at least every day since August. Some days I do more fasting hours but always try to stay at least in the 16/8 window.
  • Anniefae96
    Anniefae96 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I personally really enjoy it. Lunch is my favorite meal, so intermittent fasting lets me just skip breakfast and have a bigger lunch and a small dinner. I don't do it every day though
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    why is this so popular? a video on the internet? for me counting calories is really working.... and it's easy.

Having set eating windows can help you keep calories down. Usually it's not in lieu of counting. Things like 5:2 can allow you to only cut calories on some days, which some find more pleasant.

I find I do much better when I strictly eat only 3 meals, no snacking, and I feel more satisfied with larger meals (as that allows, vs. snacking or grazing, which does not satisfy me). That others find 2 meals in a smaller window or even one meal a day works in the same way for them doesn't seem surprising. I also find that not snacking means I am much less likely to think about food outside of my mealtimes or be tempted by some random treat that appears in our office breakroom (or wander around the kitchen in the evening seeking sustenance).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    why is this so popular? a video on the internet? for me counting calories is really working.... and it's easy.

It's popular because some people find it to be an easy way to reign in their eating and allow them to maintain a deficit. I love it because it simplifies things for me.
  • USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've done intermittent fasting pretty much my entire adult life. I've done it while 110 lbs overweight and while 15 lbs overweight (closest I got to goal). It can certainly be helpful if you're counting calories. As with all things, not a magic bullet, of course.

But since I've been counting again - I start my work day at 5:50am and dont eat til I get home - I find not eating til around 3pm definitely helps stick to my daily calorie goal of 1200! Was finding it tough to spread that out throughout a full day.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I still count calories. I've never watched a video on the internet about it. I only get 1200 calories a day if I want to lose weight so I can eat more fulfilling meals if I can eat them between 6 hours instead of picking at snacks for 12...
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I practice IF at times, especially if I'm having difficulty adhering to my calories or if I have events and want to save calories for them.

IF isn't a magical weight loss formula, just an eating schedule. One must still eat less than they burn to lose weight.
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am (was) an over-eater. I could eat all day if food was readily available. Even being on MFP previously trying to stay in my calorie range was next to impossible, because of my love for food mostly sweet and salty types. No will power you say? Maybe so, but when you are insulin resistant your body sends a signal that you're still hungry. I began to intermittent fast doing the 16:8 plan and have gradually worked up to a 19:5 or a 20:4 plan depending upon the day. It has curbed my previously all day unstoppable eating habits. I no longer snack. I eat 2 meals a day from about Noon to 4PM and that's it. This is an eating PLAN not a DIET. But, it helps me stay on track with my calorie deficit and I am losing weight and regaining back my insulin sensitivity. I even strength train during my fasting period near the end prior to my first meal with no weakness nor light-headedness from a lack of food. My body is now burning fat instead of sugar (glycogen) working out during the fasting period.
    This may not be for everyone, but it has sure helped me develop a life-style eating plan I can live with. Hope everyone has a great 2018! Any IF people want to friend me I could use the support. Thanks. Gary
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I don’t do it every day, but rather when I have a special event. My birthday is tomorrow and I will be doing IF so i can eat my birthday dinner and cake with a few drinks and hopefully stay within my calorie goals. So it comes in handy for days like that