Cramps during my workout

Options
I've looked it up so don't say GOOGLE.
lool.
I wanna know from personal experience if anyones had cramps during workouts and what they did for it.
and not TOM cramps haha./
Cause i have to keep stopping cause i cant push through it.

thank you <33

Replies

• tostes
    tostes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds funny, but when I am swimming I tend to get toe cramps, or sometimes cramps in my legs. The only thing that helps is to stop and stretch it out. I have heard that being dehydrated can cause you to have more cramps so be sure to hydrate.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Too much water right before lol. There's a trick I learned in cross country but can't remember, not sure it worked all that well anyway lol. I get them when I'm tired, if I've eaten healthy and drank enough earlier in the day this doesn't normally happen. Don't eat right before exercising if something is sitting heavy it tends to cause cramping for me anyway.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    One thing that may help is getting more potassium in you. Eat a banana before your workout and see if that helps.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Muscle cramps or stomach cramps?

If it is muscle cramps then I would recommend making sure you are drinking enough water and getting enough potassium as well as some stretching. If it is stomach cramps, then I don't know what to tell you.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    One thing that may help is getting more potassium in you. Eat a banana before your workout and see if that helps.

I definitely used get muscle cramps from lack of potassium. Bananas and coconut water (and occasional supplement) have cured that.

If I get a side cramp while running, I slow my pace and stretch up my arm (like rest them on my head). My gym teacher told us to do this. Don't get cramps much, but I think it helps.

Good Luck.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My experience is from running.
    I was taught that side cramps are caused from improper breathing. Slowing down my breathing, exaggerating the exhales through the mouth and placing my hands on my head (like I were to do a crunch) opens up the abdominals and airways and typically gets rid of the cramp in a few minutes.

Muscle cramps are usually from dehydration that is why the typically happen at the end of a work out. Just keep the fluids down.
  • Kazimira
    Kazimira Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I used to get side cramps while getting back into running. I used the advice of friends of putting my hands on my head and it helped ease the pain and allowed me to keep going. Just pushing through the pain made it unbearable for an extended period even beyond the jog.