• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    7elizamae wrote: »
    You'll probably feel better if you try a welcoming attitude instead of deciding ahead of time to be annoyed.

No matter how fully explained it is, a simple rebuke such as this continues. Please read all previous discussion above for your answer as to why this isn’t quite as simple as that.

I did read all previous discussion. I used to be a critical, easily-annoyed person. So, I do understand what is annoying you.

But, I learned the hard way that we'll be about as annoyed as we let ourselves be.

There's more than one way to approach the situation-- and the patient, supportive one will leave you (and everyone around you) happier.

But there are many douche bags in the world.

*raises hand

... I would say more on the subject but I need to jump into my 12 year old BMW for a trip to the dry cleaners; my affliction t-shirts are ready.

Yes. Haha. I despise your kind but I love them oh so much as well.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You'll probably feel better if you try a welcoming attitude instead of deciding ahead of time to be annoyed.

No matter how fully explained it is, a simple rebuke such as this continues. Please read all previous discussion above for your answer as to why this isn’t quite as simple as that.

I did read all previous discussion. I used to be a critical, easily-annoyed person. So, I do understand what is annoying you.

But, I learned the hard way that we'll be about as annoyed as we let ourselves be.

There's more than one way to approach the situation-- and the patient, supportive one will leave you (and everyone around you) happier.

I am very supportive. But there are many douche bags in the world. And, often, they come to the gym to lose weight and get fit. They flail around like beheaded chickens, cause disruptions, and get no where. I don’t support that kind of behavior.

Okay, I agree that many of the resolutioners are uncommitted and stupid. And, yes, I am beyond happy to see the idiots leave. I really dislike people who go to the gym for a "show." - guys trying to lift big weights they shouldn't be around, squatting with crummy form just for a video, hogging a bench just to do a couple sets and instagram, girls standing in the squat rack for a photo op, classes full of people who just talk etc etc.

But, I'm saying that not all newbies are going to be like this. The majority likely will, but there will also be ones who are actually interested in trying to improve. And the ones who are, don't deserve to be treated like trash just because they showed up with the rest of the idiots.

I don't have time for stupidity either, but I'm also not mean enough to tell someone to "F off" if they are unsure of how to set a machine or use a piece of equipment, or if they are using my usual piece of equipment to actually improve themselves and not to snap a selfie.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Meh. January is as good of a time to start as any other time. I am not looking forward to it because I hate going to the gym when it’s crowded and try to go during non busy times as much as I can, which isn’t often because I work a typical business hours job.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I never wait until Jan 1 to do something.

I just started partway through this past summer, so this will be my first Resolutioner season. One thing that nobody's brought up is marketing and/or promotions by the fitness centers. I can't help wondering if/how that affects people's decisions of whether or when to join.

For example, since January 1 falls on a Monday, that means that in addition to any New Year promos, it will also be Pizza Day at Planet Fitness. ;D
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    To people saying, we were all there once before:

I don’t wait for some magical date to get shredded. And then spend 3 weeks flailing around like a dork, and then stop. No. I have never done that, ever.

Like you, I chose my time to look like a dork in another season. Mine was October. I did look like a dork though.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Meh. January is as good of a time to start as any other time.
    When it comes to the gym, I'd say that it's actually the worst possible time. Y'know... for reasons that we've been discussing here. The crowds.

Not to mention that starting in January is one thing. Specifically waiting until January 1st, while not a magical key to failure, does usually indicate a lack of proper resolve.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    AGAIN, it's not a matter of being new. Being new and being part of the huge resolutioner crowd are not the same thing. Regardless of what our response to the January 1st crowd may be, this distinction should be obvious to all.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    That building just happens to have weights and fitness machines in it instead of groceries or postage stamps.

wellllll . . . except most of the time, nobody sees fit to second-guess you for being in the grocery store during the 5pm rush :tongue: you just reminded me that i need to buy stamps though, so thanks.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Here’s one. What about the lack of gym etiquette that generally follows a mass arrival of new members. The gyms can’t keep up with telling everyone how they should act and go about their sessions.

Just today we had a new arrival.

A gentleman with his son, both obviously very new to going to the gym. At several points I caught these two starring at other patrons, including myself and then openly mocking their workouts. Any one here who does deadlifts regularly, knows it’s not the easiest thing to set a high weight load back onto the ground lightly. These two however would stare followed by conversing and then laughing and staring at patrons making any sort of sound.

I personally have ZERO *kitten* time for people like that and encourage them to openly mock the wrong person. It would not be the first time that I had seen a confrontation followed by words and/or shoves.

I know you shouldn’t pay any attention to these kind of people, but I’m the type of person who looks around inbetween sets and when you catch a pair of people doing things such as this it’s mildly annoying.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Here’s one. What about the lack of gym etiquette that generally follows a mass arrival of new members. The gyms can’t keep up with telling everyone how they should act and go about their sessions.

A gentleman with his son, both obviously very new to going to the gym. At several points I caught these two starring at other patrons, including myself and then openly mocking their workouts. Any one here who does deadlifts regularly, knows it’s not the easiest thing to set a high weight load back onto the ground lightly. These two however would stare followed by conversing and then laughing and staring at patrons making any sort of sound.

I personally have ZERO *kitten* time for people like that and encourage them to openly mock the wrong person. It would not be the first time that I had seen a confrontation followed by words and/or shoves.

I know you shouldn’t pay any attention to these kind of people, but I’m the type of person who looks around inbetween sets and when you catch a pair of people doing things such as this it’s mildly annoying.

1) We have enough "old" members who don't re-rack their weights or wipe off benches when they're through. They're far more irritating than newbies to me because they've been around and should know better. They have no excuse except the fact that they're rude, inconsiderate pigs. Actually, newbies are usually pretty good about it because the gym staff stresses it during their orientation and newbies usually want to avoid doing anything stupid to draw unnecessary attention to themselves.

2) It's too bad that father (who is no "gentleman", btw) wasn't taught better, and didn't teach his son any better. For idiots like that, I'd go straight to the gym staff and let them handle it. At our gym they'd get one stern warning, then they'd be booted. Our gym staff is pretty proactive when things like that come to their attention. I went in and told them about one ignorant, self-entitled slob in particular who left a trail of unracked weights behind him all over the gym every time he worked out, and the manager immediately went out and spoke to him about it. It was better for her to do it than me, because I wouldn't have been as tactful (and I also didn't have the authority to throw him out of the gym if my 'advice' wasn't well received, either).

[ETA:] I don't go out of my way to greet or encourage newbies because I can see where that could come off as condescending to some, and/or make them even more self-conscious than they already are. Basically, I treat them the exact same way I treat everybody else in the gym - if our eyes meet I'll smile, nod and say hi, and go about my business. I'm not very chatty or social in the gym, it's not what I'm there for. Even after 2 1/2 years, I know the first names of exactly three people in my gym - one is the manager, one is a friend I've known for 30 years, and the other is a rando who I chatted with about football for a few minutes after our workouts one day.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

[ETA:] I don't go out of my way to greet or encourage newbies because I can see where that could come off as condescending to some, and/or make them even more self-conscious than they already are. Basically, I treat them the exact same way I treat everybody else in the gym - if our eyes meet I'll smile, nod and say hi, and go about my business. I'm not very chatty or social in the gym, it's not what I'm there for. Even after 2 1/2 years, I know the first names of exactly three people in my gym - one is the manager, one is a friend I've known for 30 years, and the other is a rando who I chatted with about football for a few minutes after our workouts one day.

Heck, I had to find a different gym for a while because our gym was so social.
    One morning I had a half dozen people all want to chat for 5 minutes each.

I'd rather be training than talking.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Headphones.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    AGAIN, it's not a matter of being new. Being new and being part of the huge resolutioner crowd are not the same thing. Regardless of what our response to the January 1st crowd may be, this distinction should be obvious to all.

But for people who are contemplating starting out, fear of standing out, annoying others, or just being noteworthy may be enough to discourage them. If I was new to working out and reading this thread, I would have no clear idea how to make myself not seem like a "resolutioner." I understand that people are attempting to clarify which is which, but I don't know if that would be enough to eliminate my fears.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

But for people who are contemplating starting out, fear of standing out, annoying others, or just being noteworthy may be enough to discourage them. If I was new to working out and reading this thread, I would have no clear idea how to make myself not seem like a "resolutioner." I understand that people are attempting to clarify which is which, but I don't know if that would be enough to eliminate my fears.

Probably no one says, “I’m going to start on Jan 1, ruin people’s gym experience until feb 25, and then quit until next year”. So, I see your point.

There is no actual resolve here. So, it’s pointless to keep bantering. A small portion of resolutioners will stay on and make it a long-term think. The vast majority will quit within a month or two. It has always been that will and will always be that way. Not much we can do.

During this time, I plan on doing alternative exercises to my normal routine because I know it going to be jammed. Leg day suffers the most due to squat racks being consumed. And, that is probably my biggest annoyance. Everything else I can work around. I cannot easily work around not being able to squat.

Interesting. I find most resolutioners tend to stick to the cardio equipment and weight machines, leaving the power cage for me. All the years I've been lifting, I've never had an issue with this. Maybe I'm just lucky.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Headphones.

yep, wearing them..... it makes no difference to those looking to chat.

It was easier just to travel the extra 3 miles to a gym where I only knew a couple of people.