Trying to make a lifestyle change...

Options
Hello all! I'm new to this site and to dieting. I have slowly gained 15 pounds over the last few years and am hoping to START by losing that weight. What I am really aiming for is a lifestyle change. I grew up in a family where everything revolved around food. Any sort of celebration or holiday began with planning what food would be eaten, and that was really our reward for anything. I've been married for 2 years now and our schedules have made it difficult to eat at a good time, together, and to cook our own food. That results in a lot of eating out and making bad choices. I'm also a teacher and tend to make bad choices for snacks at school (eating straight out of a box of crackers while working on the computer). It also becomes a struggle during the summer when I'm left home alone to graze all day. I am a picky eater but am trying to branch out for my health.

I want to make a lifestyle change as far as how I look at food and how I use it (for nutrition not for pleasure). I don't want to completely lose any joy or become an obsessive person, but I need to practice more moderation. So far, logging what I'm eating has helped me to better understand what I'm putting in my body and what changes I could make. This is also helping me to become more active.

I hope I can stick to it - this site seems like a great place to find non-judgmental people and a ton of support. Thanks!

Replies

• Sade510
    Sade510 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm looking to lose way more but I complete understand. So much revolves around food in my family and I've been learning how to cook southern cuisines for a year so my eating habits are horrendous. I'm looking to change my life as well. I'm here for you!
  • watcherII
    watcherII Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    glad you're here!
  • devineyallen
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your journey! I am in the same boat...need to make a lifestyle change.. and i need it to stick!! SO the only option is a "lifestyle" change!
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You could be me - but I need to lose a little more weight.
    When I have a party, I make sure to include a huge green salad with veggies and a big fruit salad. It is beautiful to look at and healthier. I make sure to include foods people like but I don't, which cuts down temptation. I DON'T buy crackers or cookies unless I immediately open them and bag them for the kids, knowing I would never steal form their week's lunches.
    I do a lot of salads at home for the family, always including some fresh fruit, and, if you want protein, you can do a fish or meat on the side. It takes a lot of planning and thinking through the week's meals ahead of time, but can be done. My sister hates most veggies, but found she can still make a Cobb salad with her favorites (pepperoncinis, pickles, hard-boiled egg, a little chicken, etc.) and have a low calorie count, while keeping full. Stick with healthy foods that you love. I adore watermelon and zucchini, so summer is my power dieting season. Work to your food strengths. Good luck and message me if you need anything!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    hi i am trying to also change my ways with eating.. im a stay at home mom and seems like all the kids do is snack... i just try to stick with putting it all on my list... i am a big sweet eater, theres no way i could ever completely cut that out so i been excersising more and at the end of the day if i have calories left i will have something... it has been rough at the beginning but getting easier... stick with it im here if you want to befriend me
  • Lashley01
    Lashley01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I could definitely lose more, but I think I need to start with something more attainable first (not that 15 pounds doesn't sound super daunting!). Thanks for the words of encouragement!