Cheat day: within reason, is it ok?

Options
I need some feedback. Let me know your thoughts please!

What are your thoughts on a "cheat day"? I'm not talking about going way over the top and eating mcdonald's three times a day followed by an entire cake and ice cream sundae. I'm talking about giving your body a rest from rigorous workouts, and maybe enjoying a treat or two (wthin reason) that would normally be bypassed. And not on a regular basis, but like for instance once every 3 months...

The reason I ask is this: I've been on this healthy eating path for about 3 months. I have not gone over my calores once. I generally stick to 1000 -1200 calories a day and make sure I am getting at least 45 mins of exercise in a day. In particular the last week I've been pushing really hard, waking up at the friggin crack of dawn to do the 30 day shred workout and I am seriously almost religious with my calorie counting. And I'm stressed out. I feel good because I'm getting good results (26lbs down yay!) and I don't want to fall off course because I have a lot more to lose. But I woke up this morning and felt sick. Nauseous, exhausted and just generally like crap. So I skipped my morning workout (still walked but at a much more lesurely pace and did my strecthing) and once I felt a little less like throwing up I had my breakfast. Now, I'm feeling better. So I'm wondering if that was just my body's way of telling me to chill out and take a bit of a break for a day?

I could really use some feedback on this. Like I said, I do not want to fall off the wagon in a big way, I fully intend to jump back on the 30ds schedule tomorrow, but I'm just worried that maybe I'm pushing myself too hard. Which would obvoiously be bad in the long run since I want long term, lasting results.

Anyways, I'm rambling. As you can probably tell, I'm feeling very guilty for even thinking about taking a day off. Thoughts?

Oh, and before any of you mummies get any ideas about the cause of my nausea I PROMISE you that I am not pregnant! LOL! Definitely not! :smile:

Thanks!

Replies

• change_happens
    Options
    Cheat days are great! I have them all of the time. This month I have decided to not cheat, but for the most part, I cheat every single weekend.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Well first, I'm going to tell you that you're not eating enough food. 1200 NET is the minimum amount of calories per day required to live and if you're going under that, THAT is why you're sick. 1200 NET means after all the exercise and after all the food, you've eaten 1200 calories. So if you have 1200 to start with and then you burn 600 calories, you need to eat 1800 calories that day to SURVIVE. You are literally starving yourself chica.

On the break thing...you should be exercising a maximum of 6 days per week. Your body needs at least one day of rest every week in order to recuperate and repair itself.

And speaking to eating habits...you can eat whatever you want to eat, so long as you do the work required to have it. So if you feel like a cheeseburger, have the darn thing! Just make sure you burn enough calories to account for it!

I don't believe in CHEAT DAYS. I believe in living life one day at a time. I believe in living a good life and having a good time living it. If I want a cheeseburger, you can bet I'm going to eat it. And then I'm going to go pick up a hula hoop or head out on my bike. But I like cheeseburgers. And I like french fries. And I like frosties from Wendy's to dip those fries in. I am firm believer that denying yourself the things you want in life is the way to sabotage your healthy living adjustment. Don't deny yourself anything. Just make yourself earn it.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have cheat days but if you feel the need to that's fine, just don't over indulge.

Feeling sick is most likely your body's way of telling you you aren't eating enough. Are you eating 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day or are you netting 1,000-1,2000 a day? there's a difference. If you are only eating 1,000 to 1200 a day but are also exercising and say you burn 500 calories then your body is really only getting 500-700 calories a day. Maybe try upping your calories so you won't feel sick or weak.
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should take a day off, every now and then. It gives your muscles time to relax and strengthen again before your next work out. I was a college athlete and we had mandatory "days off" and it was a great idea. We always came back rejuvinated and feeling better than before. Just my thoughts. :)
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Cheat days don't exist really. You still should plan and log and if you log it all in honesty are you really cheating? Just a thought. I mean what does 'cheat day' really mean anyway? You could in theory have one everyday depending on the choices you make. I think of the weight watchers plan that allows for so many extra points a week for parties etc. Not listed as cheat,l but a planned party day where you know you will consume more calories because of the occassion, yet you are still encouraged to log it ALL, good or bad so you can have a comparison when it comes to the scale. I said all that to say, PLAN FOR THE OCCASSION and log it all and keep moving, literally :O)
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think cheat days are good for the mind/soul. As far as for me, last Sunday I went to a picnic and had some chicken. pasta salad, chips, and corn. That night we had to go to a bday party at a pizza and pasta buffet. I probably ate like a good 6 pieces of pizza and some pasta and a salad. That's a lot of cals. I did 30 mins of zumba to combat it and still lost. I feel if you don't indulge once in a while or don't allow yourself a cookie here and there then it feels like such a restriction and more of a "diet" that I won't stick with it. Plus, as much as your body needs exercise, it needs some "rest' days as well. I'm down 24 lbs since June (30lbs since January) and I have taken some of these rest/cheat days. Just don't go so overboard that you won't get back on track.
  • KathleenPub
    KathleenPub Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days whenever I feel like lol, but like you said, within reason. If I feel like I want a pepsi (which Im drinking right now) I do, I just include it in my calories and on cheat days I let myself go over my 1200 goal but only by a bit and never over my excercise calories. If I don't feel like working out, I don't. I think as long as you are eating well, being active and not having a cheat day EVERY day or every couple of days you should be fine. It can actually be good for you sometimes. I think the few times I've dropped two pounds in two days was when I had a treat and relax day on the couch. I think it has to do with that whole calorie zig zag thing :) You need a break every now and then so you don't crash and burn!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I always tell everyone....you have to find what works for you. Listen to your body when it needs a break from exercise or when you are feeling hungry compared to not. I think a cheat snack or meal won't hurt you as long as you can get back to your schedule. I know from personal experience that my body starts craving the sweets or carbs that I love so much. Esp when its a big plate of spaghetti or something lol. I think you should try it out and see how you do, if its something you enjoy and still lose the weight why not? And about the 1200 net thing...well everyone is different, period. I've lost my weight overtime with eating a little, half, to all my exercise cals. If its working for you then don't fix something that hasn't been broken. Others might disagree but I've lost all my weight...to each their own. :flowerforyou:
  • KathleenPub
    KathleenPub Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Well first, I'm going to tell you that you're not eating enough food. 1200 NET is the minimum amount of calories per day required to live and if you're going under that, THAT is why you're sick. 1200 NET means after all the exercise and after all the food, you've eaten 1200 calories. So if you have 1200 to start with and then you burn 600 calories, you need to eat 1800 calories that day to SURVIVE. You are literally starving yourself chica.

On the break thing...you should be exercising a maximum of 6 days per week. Your body needs at least one day of rest every week in order to recuperate and repair itself.

And speaking to eating habits...you can eat whatever you want to eat, so long as you do the work required to have it. So if you feel like a cheeseburger, have the darn thing! Just make sure you burn enough calories to account for it!

I don't believe in CHEAT DAYS. I believe in living life one day at a time. I believe in living a good life and having a good time living it. If I want a cheeseburger, you can bet I'm going to eat it. And then I'm going to go pick up a hula hoop or head out on my bike. But I like cheeseburgers. And I like french fries. And I like frosties from Wendy's to dip those fries in. I am firm believer that denying yourself the things you want in life is the way to sabotage your healthy living adjustment. Don't deny yourself anything. Just make yourself earn it.

Totally agree!! Kinda what I was trying to say but MUCH better worded and got the point across a lot clearer!!! Its a LIFESTYLE change, not a diet :) (and I too am a total french fry addict....well, more of a poutine addict which is a million times worse lol.)
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Well you have to remember that this is a lifestyle change, that portion control is a skill for life if you want.

I mean - the goal here is obviously to reach your "weight goal" (i.e lose some pounds, then later on maintain), but what is the point if you say in the end:
    "cool I have reached my target, let's eat all these delicious things I have not eaten for 12 months".

What I mean by this is: of course you need to check what you eat, and even log those so called "cheat days" but really it does not hurt to "cheat" from time to time since this is really more a marathon than a sprint.
    In one sentence: do not make weight loss a pain.

I have my "cheat days" usually once a week... Though I usually don't go above my "maintenance" calories amount on those days.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    Cheat days are not only okay, but they're important. You definitely do need to give your body rest. And for your sanity, you do need cheat days. I'm glad you're so serious. But one day of rest a week, a couple of cheat days, is important for your health and well-being. Resting also gives your metabolism and body a chance to recuperate, and by doing so, can actually lead to more weight loss, if your body is happy and functioning properly and well-rested, it will work better. I like to have little cheats throughout the week. Not enough to go over my calories though, ofcourse. Just something small that makes me happy, so that when I log it, it's nothing to really get upset by. Once a month or once every other month (usually winds up happening once every three months as I never seem to have any money lol), I like to have a big cheat, which is going out to a restaurant, and not worrying too much about what I order (within reason ofcourse, because I am a little obsessive and I don't want to have a heart attack when I log my meal haha). Anyway, it sounds like your body is telling you to rest up, as you should. I think one day a week is perfect!
  • jwgca
    jwgca Posts: 44
    Options
    3 months without cheating? I think you deserve it! As long as you don't overdue it for ex. 4000 calories in one sitting.
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all so much for you comments and suggestions! THe support of the MFP commnity is unlike any other site I've been on. Thank you all so much!!

And message recieved: don't overdue the calorie counting. Lighten up a bit and learn to relax... funny ppl have been telling me that all my life, just never about dieting. What can I say, I'm an all or nothing kinda gal. But my goal here is longterm, sustainable results, so maybe I need to work on cutting myself a little slack so as not to burn out.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go sit with my feet up for awhile. Maybe have myself a lil snack :wink:

Thanks again!
  • SmileyAmy1977
    SmileyAmy1977 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This is EXACTLY what I would have said, if I hadn't been beaten to it.

I try to stay around 1500 - 1700 a day. I work out 4 times a week. On Fridays, if I have a loss, I relax a bit on the weekend. I don't go crazy...but if I'm out with friends or want a cheeseburger, I'll have it. It seems to be working. Sure I have a week where I may lose a small amount, but then I have a week, like this one, where I lose a big amount!

So my advice...raise those calories a bit and take a break once in a while!