Contrave

Options
I'm starting Contrave the day after Christmas. My goal is to lose at least 35 lbs. I'm 5'3" and 187 lbs. Anyone getting ready to begin Contrave?

Replies

• HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2and really loving it. No side effects and down about 6 pounds so far!! It really fell off the first week, then very slowly, but I find myself not thinking about food and getting fuller sooner. Good luck!
  • DKaree23
    DKaree23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just started last week too! I’m 5’3” and started at 218 lbs. I lost 4 pounds my first week and def noticed a difference taking it—had no cravings and I just generally didn’t feel very hungry. I did have some side effects the first few days—insomnia, nausea, little fogginess—but they have subsided. Would love to stay in touch and see how you’re doing on it! Merry Christmas!
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So my weight has been up and down (but still less than when I started). A lot has to do with the sodium in the food I’ve eaten..but I am noticing a huge difference in the way clothes fit
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Op, I'm the same height as you, and I was one pound heavier when I first started to lose weight. I'm now 148 pounds, and I did it without using any medication. Whatever works for you good luck!!
  • wenwyn
    wenwyn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I officially started this morning at 6 a.m. Started my day with 4 oz of milk and a two-egg Southwest omelete. No side effects other than dry mouth that only occurred during my afternoon nap. (It kept waking me up.)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    wenwyn wrote: »
    I officially started this morning at 6 a.m. Started my day with 4 oz of milk and a two-egg Southwest omelete. No side effects other than dry mouth that only occurred during my afternoon nap. (It kept waking me up.)

I would be careful with the dry mouth. I was taking something that made my mouth incredibly dry. I drink a lot of water daily and nothing helped. In six months I developed horrible cavities. I ended up needing 3 root canals, 6 fillings, and one tooth they pulled bc it wasn’t fixable. Prior to that I had perfect teeth. They said the lack of saliva to rinse the teeth was the cause of the severe cavities. It took less then six months for this to happen to my mouth. I brush and floss twice a day and never had issues until the dry mouth caused by medication. It cost me $500 per pound of weight that I lost in that time. It wasn’t worth it. I would suggest doing it without drugs.
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting to me! My boyfriend takes Naltrexone injections for his alcoholism, and I take Bupropion for depression. So now I just need to get ahold of some Naltrexone... :D

Good luck to all!
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have not taken it personally but I worked in an office that prescribed it for a few years. I'll be honest....I really did not see many patients having success with this....but I think the issue was more that they had a mentality of "Can't I just take a pill to lose weight?!" and most of them came to their follow up weigh ins with fast food and we would have to keep explaining that it doesn't work that way.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    emjay6x3 wrote: »
    This is very interesting to me! My boyfriend takes Naltrexone injections for his alcoholism, and I take Bupropion for depression. So now I just need to get ahold of some Naltrexone... :D

Good luck to all!

Ha! Some of the providers I would work with would just prescribe the two meds individually because most of our patients couldn't get it covered by insurance and it would be 100s. When we did it separate it would be like $30/m.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I know of someone who is taking it and they are having great results. They take it with Magnesium and it helps with the side effects. Good luck to you!
  • KathyLangston
    KathyLangston Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m on my 2nd day of contrave and I’m really worried about any side effects. I started working out in Oct 2015 by joining a gym. I started tracking my weight loss and what I was eating. I was going to the gym 6 days a week and lost 16 lbs. I had to have a full hysterectomy and I guess with the change in hormones I gained back 14 lbs. I’m now a certified Zumba instructor and teach 5 classes a week and do one day of weight training but still no luck losing the weight. I got so frustrated and went back to my doctor. She started me in contrave and I’m worried that once I (if) lose the weight and get to my goal and stop contrave I’ll gain it back. I’m really looking for a support group to ask questions and share my journey. I’m 43, 5’2” and 144 lbs goal is 125 which was post pregnancy with twins.