Confused about Activity Level to use?

Options
Hi,
I am 5'3" weigh 140.6 pounds. My BMR is 1333 and activity level is at sedentary so TDEE is 1600. I currently have my activity level set at Sedentary as I have a desk job that I sit at for 8 hours a day and my weight loss plan is set at 1350 calories to lose .6 pounds a week. However, I work out 4 to 5 times a week for an hour to hour and a half.
I have been on this site now for a month been meticulous about my calories, eating back my exercise calories and have not lost a single pound!
Am I set correctly at sedentary if I have a desk job. What could possibly be the reason for not losing weight as I have been doing everything this sight says to do. I am sooooooo frustrated! Please help!
Thanks!

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    How do you estimate your calories burned? Since .6 of a pound a week is a small deficit, over estimating the amount of calories you burn, then eating them back would cancel it out. After getting a HRM I have found the machines at the gym where saying double what my HRM said and the database on there estimates a bit high as well.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I wouldn't eat your exercise calories back. Or eat only 1/2 of them back. Do that for a few weeks and see if there is any change in your weight. Also, do you have a heart rate monitor? That would give you more of an accurate rate of calorie burn then depending on MFP giving you the wrong #. Good luck!
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My weight loss took a while at first too; don’t give up just keep going. I work in an office as well so I go for walks on my breaks. I walk 1 kilometers during my 2 breaks then continue with my routine at home. Maybe try walking every day for 15-25 min doesn’t have to be all at once and maybe even on your off days it great for cardio. Good Luck.
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back calories. I've lost 20 pounds in 50 days.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have lost 2 lbs since I quit eating back all my exercise calories. Maybe you could try that too. It is hard for me because I LOVE to eat, but I wasn't losing any weight!

Good luck to you.
  • Ssocrrbabe
    Options
    I currently have a HRM that I can enter my calories for the day and set it to calculate my calories burned during the exercise. It is a Mio Petite strapless HRM. It is the most accurate strapless HRM on the market so I don't think my calories burned from exercise are really off, but I think I will try only eating 1/2 my exercise calories back for awhile and see if that does anything.
  • lambchop1042
    lambchop1042 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi! We are at about the same height and weight (I'm 5'2", 141 lbs). I also have a (mostly) desk job, however I don't work out as much as you. I usually net around 1000 calories per day (calories eaten - exercise calories), but I also have a high body fat percentage (28% currently) so my body doesn't require much energy.

I think it's much more difficult for us shorter gals to lose weight, especially when you're close to goal (20 lbs or less to lose). Just stick to it, I didn't see any losses til about the second month and now seem to be losing steadily. Keep at it! The only thing you can do wrong is give up! :-)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on the exercise calories. Maybe eat only a bit of them, since you exercise quite a bit that's a lot to eat back. I normally say no weight loss is due to not enough calories don't think this is the case. ALSO you could be gaining muscle at the same time so don't freak too much =] It takes a lot of trial and error for the calories. Took me 2 months to figure out 1450 was perfect for me lol.
  • Iletitshine
    Options
    You probably need more calories. I recently saw a dietician because I had been working out for 1-3 hours, 4-5 times a week and not lost any weight. I told her my concerns, which included calorie restriction and that in the past, restricting my calorie intake was the only thing that worked for me to loose weight.

She told me that many people eat 1000 calories one day and then 2000 the next and because of this pattern (or something similar where they're not getting enough calories), their metabolism is slow. If you find the sweet-spot for your calorie intake (that perfect number that works for YOU) you will notice the weight just fall away. You'll be shocked because you're eating more and losing more! You must eat healthy though, get all your veggies and grains and fruits and fats!

I work mostly at a desk all day but I bike to get around and I go to the community center a few times a week. I set my lifestyle to "lightly active" because of this. I use the calorie counter for food intake, and I also use it to track my exercise but I don't use the exercise as a means to "earning" more calories. I only consume my 1650 cals a day or less. I try to over estimate calories and portion sizes when recording in order to have a cushion of calories so I'm always under. Honestly, its hard for me to get the 1650 in most days because I'm not that hungry! lol who knew.

But I have lost almost 5 bls. since I saw that dietician! Its only been a week or two, so I am pleased with that progress, I haven't made it to the gym in the past week and 1/2 (was sick) so the new eating style is what's doing it!

I'm 5'6 and 181.5 bls. I have been into good for you food for a while, but my diet was lacking in grains so I started eating whole wheat flour sliced bread & pitas. I eat a lot of greek yogurt with fruit, romaine and green leaf lettuce, homemade tzatziki sauce, some chicken, pinto and garbanzo beans, and I try to eat more veggies than fruit and very little fluff - which is what I call empty calories. I really enjoy the Sobe Life Water but that's an expensive habit. Besides, I have a really easy time getting 8-12 glasses of water everyday, because I love reverse osmosis water! I will have sweets like an ice cream cone or frozen yogurt on the days where I can't imagine eating more solid foods but I need more calories. lol, its kind of like a reward too, but I try not to use food for rewards too often. I just stay positive, try to get enough sleep, try to keep stress down by chilling out, and make goals about eating healthy foods and getting to the gym.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Iletitshine
    Options
    You should take measurements of your neck, waist and hips and record them on this site. That will help you gauge weight loss and progress as well. I lost an inch on 2/3 of those measurements during the month that I wasn't seeing any bls drop.
  • Iletitshine
    Options
    Last words from me, lol

A lot of us are completely healthy besides being overweight. I was so worried abut my health that I go blood tests and such to see if I was in any risk of disease. My tests came back "superb" according to my doctor and there is nothing wrong with me! The weight I need to lose is basically about being athletic and somewhat vain about my looks. My number one risk was the stress I was putting on myself to lose the weight, that would lead me to heart disease sooner than my diet or weight combined!

So don't get down on yourself, don't get mad at your body, don't get stressed with the efforts you're making. Just find a way to be happy with what you are working with and keep at it.

Variety is the spice of life, but it's also the key to a healthy diet and to weight loss.
  • simoneq
    simoneq Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,

What you can do is to eat your TDEE calories (i think they are 1660 for you instead of 1600) and leave your activitylevel at sedentary in myfitnesspal. Do not fill in your exercises at myfitnesspall and change your goal into 60%carbs-20%fat-20%protein if you are exercising so much cardiovasculair. Try these goals. You can measure your burned calories (with exercising) in a more exact way, I use Cardio Trainer (free) at my mobile. When you burned 3500 calories a week you must have lost at least 1 lbs. Eating your meals at regular times helps like at 8-12-4-8h or 7-10-1-4-7h.

Good luck. I would like to know if this helps you...