One Bad Day

Options
Recently was told that having one bad day isnt bad for you. It could actually be good bc it gives your metabolism a boost to work harder. I had a bad day yesterday and finally broke my 2 week long 6lb mark and I am finally down 7!! Any opinions on this?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Part of me thinks it is only coincidence, but I have had a loss show up the day after eating like a goofball before too though! But yesterday I ate pretty well overall, but went a little over and my scale showed me UP two pounds today...
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I believe that one bad day infrequently isn't too bad. But when you have bad days routinely, it's not a bad day anymore, it's a habit.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen for me too. I'll go over my calories (sometimes just a little, other times like i'm a freakin' pole vaulter on a mission) and the next day the scale will show a loss - and the loss sticks around! I guess it's because our bodies get used to staying within X amount of calories, going over shocks our metabolism a bit and stirs things up a bit. I know there are TONS of posts on the forum about this very thing.
  • misslicious
    Options
    Very true and I can get in a routine very quickly but I also did feel guilty yesterday but only went up in calories by maybe 300 or so much lower than what it takes to maintain what I am at now. Just thought it was weird
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Since the majority of people eat well below their BMR ... the "bad day" makes the body happy again because it thinks it is finally getting fed. You could accomplish the same thing by eating a bit more every day and having treats intermittently.
  • misslicious
    Options
    I've had this happen for me too. I'll go over my calories (sometimes just a little, other times like i'm a freakin' pole vaulter on a mission) and the next day the scale will show a loss - and the loss sticks around! I guess it's because our bodies get used to staying within X amount of calories, going over shocks our metabolism a bit and stirs things up a bit. I know there are TONS of posts on the forum about this very thing.

And thats exactly what they told me so I snuck in some grilled cheese sandwiches bc I had a killer hankering for them lol!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    And an occasional bad day is good for you, mentally. At least, it is for me.
  • misslicious
    Options
    Since the majority of people eat well below their BMR ... the "bad day" makes the body happy again because it thinks it is finally getting fed. You could accomplish the same thing by eating a bit more every day and having treats intermittently.

The treats are a must when I go grocery shopping I always pick up a box of great value fudge brownies they are tiny and heavy (210cal) but they hit the spot and sometimes I can have 400 cals left over for the day but feel so full couldnt even imagine eating another bite but maybe that little bit extra might actually help
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    "One Bad Day" did not get us to where we are (or were when we began our journeys)....it's the MANY OBDs that got us there. So, I see nothing wrong with treating yourself every once in a while ~ just don't make it a habit. :smile: