How to get yourself to drink more water?

Options
This has probably been asked a million times, but what are your favorite ways to get yourself to drink more water? I am honestly addicted to diet drinks but feel I need more plain water!

Replies

• suerlewis2
    suerlewis2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have bottles for my water, so I know when I've had 500ml, 1 litre. I try to have a few mouthfuls each time I finish a task (such as dishes, laundry, the journey to work) and set myself a goal of 1 litre of water before 12noon each day. After that, I know I am on track and will naturally drink closer to 2 litres each day.

I find a lot of flavoured water too sweet, but I totally agree about bubbles! Try carbonated water as an alternative, also something as simple as ice can add another dimension.
  • mackau
    mackau Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    • Zero calorie soft drinks.
    • Soda, sparkling and mineral water (double check the nutrition info as some brands add loads of sugar)
    • Ultra-Low calorie cordials in liquid or kool-aid style powder form.
    • Buying low additive fruit juices (orange, lemon, lime, pineapple), and adding small amounts to a bottle of water for flavour.
    • Blending fresh fruit with a lot of ice & water (similar to above and usually cheaper).

Out of those, I found the easiest are the low-calorie cordials and the fruit juice adding to water. The soft drinks are by far the most expensive as I can go through 2 or 3 one litre bottles in a single day.

We have one major brand of diet cordial in Australia and over the course of the few weeks it takes to go through the bottle the calories are negligible and the cost is around 10 cents per L (this is in Australian money).

However, those cordials along with the fizzy waters/diet soft drinks aren't great for your teeth, so you should still have regular water every so often, so I have lemon & lime juice and add some in, instead of the cordial just for a touch of flavour.

I have 1 litre (about 40 ounces) with lunch & dinner. It's enough to drink pretty quickly, but not too much that you'll feel sick. It's also the basic recommended amount of water people should drink per day. It gets stupidly hot here so I occasionally end up having ~4 litres per day.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I try to have a glass of water after going to the bathroom. I like tea and drink that alot. Any liquid counts as water intake. Putting a slice of lemon or lime in it, or mint can give it a different taste.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you need to drink more? I like to pair and schedule "boring" tasks, so I made it a habit to drink two cups while sitting on the toilet in the morning (sorry if TMI :D ), then one glass before each meal, one cup before I brush my teeth. I like the routine, but I'm not obsessing over it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I try to have a glass of water after going to the bathroom. I like tea and drink that alot. Any liquid counts as water intake. Putting a slice of lemon or lime in it, or mint can give it a different taste.

Not alcohol....

True--I really don't know, since I don't drink alcohol. It just doesn't appeal to me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened herbal tea, coffee, and water with a partial flavor packet. Personally I like TruLime brand watermelon fresca flavor. I get it at Walmart.

1 packet is 10 calories and is meant for 16 oz but that's too overpowering....I use about 1/4 packet or so for 16 oz water... Just enough to give it a hint of flavor.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like carbonated water with lemon but I do not make a point of forcing water. I can go most of a day with coffee with a pinch of salt. I drink water if I want it.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I tend to be really thirsty and plain water (or with some lemon) is the only thing I find to be refreshing.
  • Msfenae
    Msfenae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like my water to be cold. Then I tend to drink it faster and more. I start my morning off with a bottle of water. If I drink a flavored beverage before I have had water I dont have the urge for water. I sike myself by saying if I start the day off with water I will be able to reach my goal of 7/8 bottles of water a day. If I dont, each day I challenge myself to drink more the next day.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone and watch that you can set to remind you at intervals. I try for 72oz a day, if you drink a lot of tea and other things through the day that might be a bit much but outside of my coffee in the morning I really only do water.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I hate water. I really do. I just have to make myself do it. I'm always a little dehydrated feeling in the morning and I always would just slam coffee. Then I could feel crappy later and drink more coffee, etc. I make myself drink a tall glass of water before I have any caffeine, and I try to drink one a half hour or so before each meal. That seems to help me a lot. I also like flavored seltzer. That's kind of "soda-like" enough for me that I don't crave soda
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I used to only drink soda all day. I started water by having a swallow of water every time I walked into the kitchen.
  • JeffKeene1967
    JeffKeene1967 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Drink a bottle of water before you eat. Chug it and get it over with. I put crystal light in a one liter bottle and drink on it all day as well. Also, I drink coffee in the mornings. One more, eat peanut butter, that will make you thirsty... Peanut butter and an apple makes a good and healthy snack if you're diabetic, like me.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I drink at least a glass first thing in the morning (after weighing). If water is the first thing I drink in the day, I crave it more than if I drink coffee first thing. I also keep a large thermos or bottle at my desk so I can drink up to 4 cups without having to get up and refill, so it's more convenient.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    in a quart jar, pretty easy to keep track of that way. I don't love drinking water either.. Sometimes I add a small amount of coffee or decaf ( if after 1pm for me) sometimes warm water with lemon added.. almost always with a straw