Exercise burning less

fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
Do you find the more you do a type of exercise or workout program, the fewer calories you burn doing it?

Replies

• Its funny bc I like to do the treadmill and the elliptical and the gym I go to I find the equipment upstairs burns more calories than the ones downstairs
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    the more weight you lose, the less calories you will burn per minute. As you get thinner, you have to increase your work out efforts. Also, as you do the same workout repeatedly your body adjusts to it and the workout becomes ineffective.

Sounds like you need to mix it up!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    What I hate is that when you have less to lose, you burn fewer calories. Dammit!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Yes. Your body gets used to it & you have to put more effort into it to burn the same as you used to. It's the same as anything, the more you do something, the better you get at doing it.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    But the good side it that its becasue your heart and cardi vascular system is getting stronger. Consider this a great NSV :)
  • fteale
    I haven't lost a significant amount of weight in the last month and yet stage 2 of the 30DS used to burn 200 calls, now it's down to 185, and my running calls are way down on what they were.

On another weird point, my heart rate hit 201 on the 30DS today, which is 15 BPM higher than my max for my age should be, and I was barely breaking a sweat. And at the over end of the scale, my resting HR is 44, which seems insanely low.
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    I haven't lost a significant amount of weight in the last month and yet stage 2 of the 30DS used to burn 200 calls, now it's down to 185, and my running calls are way down on what they were.

On another weird point, my heart rate hit 201 on the 30DS today, which is 15 BPM higher than my max for my age should be, and I was barely breaking a sweat. And at the over end of the scale, my resting HR is 44, which seems insanely low.

Are you wearing a HRM? If so, are you sure it didn't slip because those numbers are bizarre compared to your usual.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,075 Member
    You may need to tighten up your hrm chest strap and make sure you lubricate the sensors... the 'way off' readings could be because of this and if you were barely breaking a sweat- I doubt your hr got up to 201. At 201 I would feel like my chest was exploding.
  • fteale

Are you wearing a HRM? If so, are you sure it didn't slip because those numbers are bizarre compared to your usual.

It definitely didn't slip. I often hit 189 running and doing aerobics. I just have a really weird heart rate!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    What I hate is that when you have less to lose, you burn fewer calories. Dammit!!!

^^^ that... the more fit I am, the less I burn doing anything cardiovascular. The body becomes more efficient I suppose...
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    You might want to see your doctor and rule out an arrhythmia of your heart? Very few people have a normal resting heart rate of 44, with the exception of seasoned athletes.
  • fteale
    You might want to see your doctor and rule out an arrhythmia of your heart? Very few people have a normal resting heart rate of 44, with the exception of seasoned athletes.

I am planning on going to a doctor, but my heart rate has always been very low, I used to row competitively from 16-22 and seem to have high residual fitness. A friend I run with has almost exactly the same extremes of HR as me, so I don't think it's that uncommon.