Biggest logging shock?

Options
Morning All

I'm new here and am logging over the holidays before I start my lifestyle changes, to have a record of just how awful I treat my body at the moment, and of course identify the real "hot-spots." I promised to be brutally honest. Oh boy.

After just one day - my very first day - there is no longer any mystery of why I am over-weight!

I knew it would be bad, but it was almost comical HOW bad. :o

So I'm curious - what was your biggest logging shocker? No need to be specific if you don't feel comfortable - and of course please post the positive ones too !

I'll start.

Yesterday, I consumed more than 2000 calories OVER my goal. The only number not in the red was protein. WOW. Very motivational.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Pears, nuts, and breakfast cereal were all higher than I expected.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    peanut butter.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Nuts and cheese were my big surprises. I used to snack on "healthy" nuts all the time, about 1000 calories a day worth. And finding out how many calories worth of olive oil I used was saddening.

I'm a diabetic and learning how many carbs were in pasta was pretty sorrowful too! And karo pecan pie.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    A casual chain restaurant salad came it at 1000 cals. My big shock was realizing how many 3000-4000+ calorie day’s I had probably put in.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Lots of shockers. The latest was olives.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've been logging quite well for 2 years and just this week had an 'aha' moment about logging.

Here's how it happened. I found an old recipe from my long dead mother, and cooked it for Christmas. As I cooked, I did not weigh anything. When I logged, I used a generic database entry which seemed to be about right for calories and macros.

Afterward, I used the recipe calculator to create a recipe of the dish which I could use later to get my calories really accurate. Even so, my recipe calculator results tell me that my recipe was half the calories I logged. Half? I was being as precise as I could image being when I created the recipe using exactly as much as the ingredients weigh. I can weigh a cup of sugar. I can weigh an egg. I know how much I put in. Still something's wrong about my memory logging, and I've been bumfuzzled about it.

That I can be so experienced and so careful, and still so wrong, is a shock. This reinforces that I must weigh everything at the time of using it, as something about my memory and my assumptions is off, and I don't yet know what it is.
  • LEdmonds2016
    LEdmonds2016 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My biggest shocker were salads. I thought that because it's a salad, it must be healthy.. and then I started weighing and logging what actually went into the salad. I could easily eat my allotted calories for the day in one salad. That still just blows my mind.
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Heckin sonic java chiller, the mini 10 oz size. 580 calories, I think. The day I had it was just a treat, but my god, I was better off with an ice cream cone :D
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Going out to eat - it's amazing the amount of calories restaurants feed you. I think I lost most of my weight just by cutting back my eating out. And desserts! I find they aren't as appetizing now that I know how many calories are in a slice of cake or pie.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Nuts. A single serving of cashews is a mere 10 nuts for 150 calories. I used to eat them by the handful because they are a healthy food.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    Mangos - 210 cals, they are so good but not worth the calories for me