Protein Shake recipes that actually taste good?

Options
I have a new blender! I am looking to add protein shake into my daily routine. I am just starting out on trying to lose a bunch of weight. I have tracked my food for a couple weeks to see what i'm eating...the results..way too much, too many carbs, sweets and hardly any protein. I am going to up my protein and want to try shakes. However, they don't seem to taste that great with just powder. Any recipes? Also I am thinking my kids could use one? Is it ok for kids to have a protein shake?

Replies

• bikesncarz8
    bikesncarz8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, one of my favorite concoctions is this:
    1-2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
    1 scoop protien
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    Ice and water! (Add however much you want depending on how thick you like your shake). :) hope this helps!
  • gardengnomemanifesto
    Options
    thanks! I will try this.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I like to add cocoa powder and extracts to my vanilla protein powder (i.e cocoa & mint, cocoa & raspberry/strawberry, cocoa & coconut). Kids can drink protein powder as well, but since it is a supplement I would recommend they receive it from their regular diet.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Vanilla protein powder
    1 banana
    1/2-1 cup frozen mixed berries
    Milk

Chocolate protein powder
    1 banana
    1-2 tbsp peanut butter
    Milk
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    1c vanilla ice cream
    1.5c orange juice
    2 scoops vanilla whey

It probably won't hurt your kids, but whether or not it's good for them (thinking bigger picture) is up to you and your family. Kids are governed/limited more by what we have in the house and what we cook for them than they are by hectic schedules, work lunches, etc. I guess if I were going to do something like a shake for my kids, I'd do something like the carnation instant breakfast drinks. But that's just me.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    First find a protein powder you like. That's the biggest hurdle. There are many brands out there - some are great just mixed with water. Others have to be mixed with milk to make them edible. Still others (IMO) can't be saved no matter what you do to them. My favorite (I drink it every morning) is Click Espresso Protein (2 scoops) mixed with Equate (Walmart brand) Chocolate Whey (1.5 scoops) - mixed with water and a bit of ice. If I do a second shake in the day (right before a grocery run or just really busy), I'll mix some frozen berries, a banana, or pb in just so I get a few more calories and it isn't boring. Just experiment until you find what works for you!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    1 cup frozen berries, or a frozen banana; 1 ice cube; 1 cup almond or coconut milk (you could use soy for even more protein); 1/4 cup low fat ricotta or Greek yogurt; 2 scoops Chocorite protein powder. The frozen fruit and ice cube result add to the thickness, the ricotta or yogurt add to the richness. Very tasty and filling, about 320 calories, 11g fiber, 26g protein. One favorite combination of mine is chocolate protein powder plus a frozen banana or frozen cherries. I'd add flax or chia but I can't because of the blood thinner I'm on. The peanut butter-banana combo above sounds great, too.
  • hay_whitney
    hay_whitney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do a scoop of protein powder, frozen banana, and unsweetened coconut milk. I LOVE the frozen bananas because I don't have to waste them once they start to get brown, and it makes my protein shakes thick and creamy without making it icey. Also, its good with any flavor of protein powder. It's like a treat ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yeah, frozen banana is the key. Also, when avocados start to go bad, it's a great way to use them. Cut them into 1/4s and freeze. I go to Cabo often and there's a coffee bar on the beach there that serves a "Milky Way" shake. It's Coconut Milk, Almonds, a frozen Avocado and Vanilla Protein Powder. Avocados add the same creaminess of a banana with much less carbs.

Another favorite of mine is Vegan Mocha flavored protein powder, unsweeted Cashew Milk, frozen banana (you don't even know the banana is in it) and some Cacao Nibs. Think like a Coffee Chip Mocha Frozen drink.

My wife loves OJ, Vanilla Vegan Protein powder and frozen pineapples and just a bit of frozen banana. She might add some mango in hers too. Great after a long cardio day.

We have freezer bags of bananas, berries, pineapple, mango and sometimes avocados too. We buy when on sale, cut and freeze. The avocados are tricky to get apart though. They freeze together into a mess so we use smaller sandwich bags on those. There's also one international grocery store that sells overripe bananas for like 19 cents a pound.
  • dialtone75
    dialtone75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dole Frozen Mixed Berries w/ Pomegranate, 1/2 cup with chocolate or vanilla powder, 6 ice cubes, and 8 oz of almond milk is my current go-to breakfast smoothie. Big bag of the frozen berries at Sam's club $9.48 right now and last a while.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I use garden of life vanilla chai organic protein. Mix it with some soy milk, lemon and add in a teaspoon of chia seeds. It's simple, but I really love it.
  • geordie_magic
    geordie_magic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    60g Strawberry Protein Powder, 30g crunchy peanut butter, 350ml semi skimmed milk + 1 banana! Delicious X
  • gardengnomemanifesto
    Options
    All good ideas. I am going to incorporate a smoothie into my daily calories. Thank you for the input.
  • healthimom
    healthimom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My very favorite protein powder is by Isagenix. I like the French Vanilla, because you can add anything to it -- although the Chocolate and the Strawberry are also excellent. I believe that starting with the right powder makes a huge difference. This one tastes great as is, just mixed with water and ice. It's got 24 g of undenatured whey protein, plus 8 g of fiber + 23 vitamins and minerals. This helps me feel full longer. I love to add combinations of cocoa powder, frozen banana, frozen berries, frozen watermelon balls, almond butter, spices, essential oils (the safe ones), chia seeds, flax meal, etc. Every combo is so good! :-)
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Where I get mine they have a taste station. (Popeye's)

Maybe look for a place like that where they let you taste before buying.

I buy "Isogold" and like peanut butter chocolate flavour.
  • chadblatherwick
    chadblatherwick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1 cup of vanilla almond milk
    I frozen banana
    1 tablespoon of Peanut butter
    1- 2 scoops of whey
    2 meloy dates
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana and/or frozen coffee ice cubes make a lot of protein shakes taste better. You might need a different protein if you don't like what you have by itself. See if you can get some single trial packets. I emailed Quest and they sent several to me. I also tried PEScience. My favorites are Quest Salted Caramel and PEScience Snickerdoodle (but their peanutbutter cookie is also really good.) I'm not a huge fan of either brand's chocolate powders even though I usually love chocolate--I think its too sweet or something.
  • GoodbyeGut
    GoodbyeGut Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i use Optimum Nutrition brand whey isolate powder. i can vouch for the taste of the Vanilla and the double dutch chocolate, both very good. A cup of 2% milk, a banana, cup of yogurt (Yoplait light Vanilla is my go to), and a scoop of the ON powder and you're set.
  • Skinniedipper
    Skinniedipper Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Adding fresh or frozen strawberries to a chocolate protein shake, is one of my favorites!