I did it! Finished week 9 of c25k. Next step...

Options
So, so happy this morning...today was day 3 of week 9! Being someone who has never been a runner, I can say the c25k plan definitely works! I am definitely a slower runner (jogger) but I can't believe I actually look forward to getting out there now. I finally decided since I could get through the 9 weeks to go ahead and register for my first 5k (coming up in a couple weeks....yikes!) I'm not planning on trying to break any speed records, lol, just want to finish and feel good about it. For those of you who do c25k, what do you do after the 9 weeks? Just try to improve the time/distance? I'm thinking just stick to my three days a week (more if my schedule allows) so I at least don't lose what I have been able to accomplish. Any tips for me for bumping my speed up a little? Thanks to all my mfp friends who have supported me, you're the best. I have friends/family members who don't really do much to encourage or support my wanting to do this so I truly appreciate all of you here! Thanks and have a great weekend :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I'm about halfway through Week 3 and while I'm enjoying I'm having a hard time seeing how Week 9 is possible. It is so nice to hear from a graduate :)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I'm a 2 time C25K grad and swear by the program!! Definitely do a 5K or two, but watch out races are addicting LOL.

I tried doing the OHR Program (One-hour Runner) but never finished. I gradually increased my distances by 1/2 mile each week to boost my endurance.

I ran my first 10K last year doing just that, and am now using a Hal Higdon program to train for my first 1/2 in 2 months!
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    awesome! I am only on week 3, but am looking forward to hearing the responses.
  • tdwhalley
    tdwhalley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I kept going and started the b210k programme immediately after completing c25k- it works too :D
  • deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 day 3 ... Loving it!
    A friend of mine who completed C25K repeated the program but used the "walking" intervals as her normal jogging speed and the "running" intervals for a slightly faster speed, so for me, it would be walk = jog at 5mph and run = jog at 6 mph . There is also a C210K program that has you running for a longer time, that's my plan for after couch to 5 K.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'll be done with C25K in just a few days. (Actually, I'm already running over 5K now, but I'll be done with week 9 in a few days.) I was trying to decide between bridge to 10K, one hour runner, or just working to increase speed or distance on my own. C25K worked so well for me that I think I'm going to go with B210K.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I'm a 2 time C25K grad and swear by the program!! Definitely do a 5K or two, but watch out races are addicting LOL.

I tried doing the OHR Program (One-hour Runner) but never finished. I gradually increased my distances by 1/2 mile each week to boost my endurance.

I ran my first 10K last year doing just that, and am now using a Hal Higdon program to train for my first 1/2 in 2 months!

I am the same...after I did a few races, decided to venture into 10ks and jut increased a little bit each week. I am training for my first 1/2 now in October and following the Runner's World Plan. I like to follow plans or have goals to aim for or I lose interest.

Congrats and good! So addicting!
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! That's a huge feat! You should be very proud of yourself. I just completed week 1, so I have a long way to go. But hearing so many success stories gives me hope.

Like many have posted, I have heard that the next logical step is B210K. If you decide to go that route, good luck to you!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Runs4wine...I didn't realize it was you I was agreeing too :wink:
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I believe running is mind over body. I didnt do c25k, so i dont know how that works, but I was a walker who decided to start running little more than a year ago. I simply gave myself new challenges everytime I get good at one speed I bump it up....or increase my distance. With some prayer and focus, I saw improvement happen pretty quickly. Running is one of those things that's the most rewarding at the end of a good long run! The beginning is still dreadful to me! LOL, but i like to challenge myself at my own pace. People at my gym think im this awesome runner, but little do they know 2 years ago I couldnt run for a minute without feeling like I was dying! Im far from an "awesome" runner but ive got endurance on my side. I believe you can do it but like you said just keep it up so you dont lose what youve gained! Congrats new runner!!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Runs4wine...I didn't realize it was you I was agreeing too :wink:

LOL stalker ;)