Am I eating Enough - Diary help :-)

Options
Hi just wanted peoples input into my diary - i'm trying to eat my 1200 and some of my excercise calories but finding it hard to eat that much (first time ever lol) any suggestions?

Thanks

feel free to add as well

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    First thing is the Min for Men is 1500 and if you are going to be burning 600-800 calories a day you will need to eat a bit more.

The last thing you want is to not have anything for your body to burn otherwise it burns muscle.

Otherwise, good protein and water, nice diary!

Take Care!
  • MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53
    Options
    Take some time in making a good breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day, and a bowl of cereal simply won't cut it. This change should cover the gap you have with the missing calories.
  • mponeil1982
    Options
    Agree with Sanvoodoo. You want to make sure you consume enough and refuel some of what you spend working out. Your body will crave the nutrients. I personally find if I don't balance the proper nutrients or get enough protein day to day, my body starts craving it and it's difficult not to 'splurge' on the things you shouldn't eat.

Another thing I also like to look at for myself is sodium intake. Especially since I have mild hypertension.

Keep up the good work!

OH, to add to the previous breakfast comment, look at adding some fruit at the start of the day too. Helps get your energy started for the day.
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a real hard time eating my exercise cals back also.

An easy way to add would be a palm full of raw almonds. Good for you and ups the protein you need at snack time. Another way to add in some calories and carbs you need would be a better cereal. I love special K and smart start.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and nuts.
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've just had a quick look and I think that what you're eating is fine, but I don't think you're eating enough of it!

I'm 5'3 with a small build and I eat at least 1200-1400 calories each day and I'm losing at a slow, but steady, rate.

Are you hungry? I know that with the amount of exercise you're doing I would be hungry eating the amount that you do.

I'd try to eat a bit more - try things like avocado, nuts, dried fruit - they're good for you but quite calorie dense, so you won't end up feeling stuffed. Also most days, I have an oat smoothie for breakfast; it's around 400 cals, but it keeps me going all morning - you could try something like this as it's good for you, but will keep your calorie count up.

I see this as a lifestyle change, not a diet, so I want to eat now the way I'm going to eat for the rest of my life, but I know that if I'm hungry or very tired, I just won't stick to it.

However, well done on a great start!
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The breakfast thing is a myth. It is not the most important meal of the day and it doesn't jump start your metabolism. All of your meals are the most important meals of the day, and the only thing that jump starts your metabolism (aside from stimulants) is exercise. It's important to eat within three hours of waking just so you aren't starving by the time you have lunch and then consequently eat too much because you were overly hungry. It's good to spread your eating out throughout the day, that's all. If you aren't hungry when you wake up, don't force yourself to eat.

That said, you could probably eat more and still lose weight. If you feel hungry all of the time that's usually a good sign that you aren't eating enough. If you don't want to increase the size of your meals, you can add a few more small ones of 200-300 calories. And those don't have to be at breakfast.
  • edward1973
    Options
    Thanks all - i have a desk job so i feel bad eating lots if just sitting there - i have fruit in the morning but i stick that under snacks lol - will adjust for tomorrow

at the moment the weight seems to be coming off quite well but will continue to tweak

also i dont really feel hungry which is weird for me - i'm actually forcing myself to munch some veg and lo fat hummus just to bring up my count a wee bit